First Name
Erroll
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Power Boost, XLT 302A, 4x4, SCrew, 6.5' bed
Occupation
retired
I’m in central cal as well and I usually average around 17-18 mpg but I just drive normal I don’t care about mpg or drive conservatively.
I recently took a 1600 mile trip and only averaged 17.6 for the whole trip so I’m nowhere near the claimed mileage and I had it on cruise control the time.
You are dividing total miles by total gallons of gas, right?
Sponsored

Orlando150

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Ford
I found a section in the Owner’s Manual on getting the best economy out of the Hybrid…

DRIVING ECONOMICALLY

The following helps to improve fuel consumption:
  • There is no need to wait for your engine to warm up. The vehicle is ready to drive immediately after starting.
  • Your fuel consumption should improve throughout your hybrid's break-in period.
  • Accelerate and slow down in a smooth, moderate fashion.
  • Moderate braking is particularly important since it allows you to maximize the energy captured by the regenerative braking system.
  • Drive at steady speeds without stopping.
  • Anticipate stops; slowing down may eliminate the need to stop.
  • Driving on flat terrain.
  • Drive at reasonable speeds and observe posted speed limits.
  • Shut all windows when driving at high speeds.
  • Combine errands and minimize stop-and-go driving.
  • Drive with the tonneau cover installed if your vehicle comes with one.
  • Keep the tires properly inflated and use only the recommended size.
  • Use the recommended engine oil.
  • Follow the recommended maintenance schedule and carry out the recommended checks.
  • Perform all scheduled maintenance.
Note: Having your engine running is not always an indication of inefficiency. In some cases, it is actually more efficient than driving in electric mode.
Avoid these actions; they reduce your fuel consumption:
  • Revving the engine.
  • Aggressive driving increases the amount of energy required to move your vehicle.
  • Driving in lower temperatures during the first 5–10 mi (12–16 km) of driving.
  • Idle for periods longer than one minute.
  • Use the air conditioner or front defroster.
  • Adding certain accessories to your vehicle like bug deflectors, rollbars, light bars, running boards, ski racks or luggage racks.
  • Use the speed control in hilly terrain.
  • Using fuel blended with alcohol.
  • Drive a heavily loaded vehicle or tow a trailer.
  • Driving with the wheels out of alignment.

DT444T

First Name
Jake
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
21 AMB Powerboost Lariat
Occupation
Meat servo
Keep in mind if you leave your generator on, even with vehicle off the engine will run periodically. Something to keep an eye on (I did this when I first got it not realizing). Also it's easy to leave on because it's so quiet. Not saying you did any of this, but those MPG are incredibly low as in I get better than that beating on it, by a long shot. Hopefully it's something simple like this.
If you turn the key off, or press the start/stop button, the engine turns off and the generator is disabled. You cannot run the generator without the engine being "on."

OP
OP

Stealthytt

First Name
Andrew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
21 f150 powerboost
So new tank, 250 miles driven, of those 85 electric. Out of the 250 50 miles were freeway and long trips.

16.94 gallons to fill.

I did not try to get any electric miles, I just drove it like any other vehicle as suggested, I kept it in normal mode for this test.

14.7 hand calculated mpg 16.1 mpg is what the truck estimated.

Sponsored

saluki1969

First Name
Ron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2008 Ford Mustang GT500, 2021 F150 SC PB Rapid Red
Occupation
Retired
I must say I am more than satisfied with the mileage my Powerboost is getting. I have not reset anything on the dash since I picked up the truck from the dealer. I currently have 5400+ miles and am showing an average of 22.3 MPG. I did lose a little over 2 mpg from my summer high of 24.5 mpg. I expected that as cold weather is always a detractor for gas mileage. Cold startup, rolling resistance increases, and the winter formulation of gas decrease mpg, especially in urban areas. January and February to date have been very cold with occasional lows in the single digits when I go to work in the morning and the same when I return home late in the evening. I am conservative but maintain or exceed the speed limit on both rural and country driving. I use 87 octane fuel and use Mobil 1 5w-30 extended service full synthetic oil. And yes, my residential area, Metro East Illinois, near St Louis, MO is mainly of flat terrain. I do regularly check my tires for recommended air pressure. I run 2 to 3 pounds above recommended pressure in the tires. I just had the tires rotated at 5200 miles and they are wearing great. I have a folding hard tonneau on the bed. Just my experience.

RossRR

First Name
Ross
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
22 Lariat 502A Rapid Red SCrew PB FX4 MaxTow
So new tank, 250 miles driven, of those 85 electric. Out of the 250 50 miles were freeway and long trips.

16.94 gallons to fill.

I did not try to get any electric miles, I just drove it like any other vehicle as suggested, I kept it in normal mode for this test.

14.7 hand calculated mpg 16.1 mpg is what the truck estimated.
I think I would be posting it for sale and see if I could get close to what I paid for it and then go look for another truck. Let someone else figure out what is wrong with it because if it's throwing no codes your dealer isn't going to do anything for you. With that poor mileage right off the bat there must be something wrong and I'd be worried that it is going to be constant problems down the road.

I'm assuming you are confident in the miles driven and it's not the case where the trip odometer got reset by the operating system at some point mid-trip like others have reported.

Last edited:

Xmerlyn

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
21 F150 Lariat Hybrid, 88 Jeep YJ, 19 Harley Ultra
Occupation
Network Engineer
How could you put 32 gallons in a tank that holds 30.6 gallons and then you claimEd that you put in 35 gallons another time.
Tonight I pumped 33.5 gallons in to my 2021 PB, yes I know the docs say it is 30.6. I am about to post my experiment to see if my PB would run all electric after running it out of gas

Montanaskiier

First Name
Howard
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F-150 King Ranch and 2020 F-150 King Ranch
Occupation
Engineer
I know it's another one, sorry in advanced.

I've had my Powerboost (all stock) for about 3000 miles now, this last tank I set out to see what I could get in eco mode only, with city driving. All driving was my normal day to day trips, remote start was used for at least 3 mornings per week for the 30 days on this tank, roughly 5 mins for those days. I did not floor it or drive aggressively also.

I did 146 total miles before filling up (going out of town)

Out of the 147 total miles 69 of them were electric only miles. 78 miles with the ICE. This last fill up I put in 11.43 gallons of fuel for a hand calculated 12.8mpg. The truck calculated 17.6mpg was way off, with the amount of electric only miles I figured I would have had some good results, this is just disappointing. When I think that I have only gone 78 miles on a gas engine using 11 gallons of fuel, it just disappoints me even more lol.

Anyone else on the same boat? I have not taken it in, and not sure if they can do anything if I did.
My King Ranch Powerboost averages 17.7 MPG after 20,000 - Not even remotely getting the advertised 24. I have tried everything; fuel types, driving techniques, and eco mode, and unless I am going downhill at 40 miles per hour I can’t get over 20 MPG.

Sentinel1201

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150 Powerboost
Folks getting bad mpg, try resetting tranny adaptive values and starting over. Very easy to do with forscan, only a couple of clicks.

Sponsored

Ronin1973

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Ford F-150 XLT FX SuperCrew 4x4 3.5 Race Red
My King Ranch Powerboost averages 17.7 MPG after 20,000 - Not even remotely getting the advertised 24. I have tried everything; fuel types, driving techniques, and eco mode, and unless I am going downhill at 40 miles per hour I can’t get over 20 MPG.
What gearing do you have? Do you have a lift, level, and/or bigger tires? All of those things matter...I just can't imagine if you are stock not getting better than that with the Powerboost. I have the 5.0 and I average 24...hell, I got 26 the other day when it was 78 degrees here while on a hwy trip.

Atlee

First Name
Erroll
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Power Boost, XLT 302A, 4x4, SCrew, 6.5' bed
Occupation
retired
I'll have to check my total miles MPG later, I do have a hand calculated MPG from last week when I towed my trailer for the first time.

The trip was 454.7 miles, from the Richmond area to the Blue Ridge mountains. Most of the drive was over rolling hills. Speed averaged 63 on roads that were 65 or better. Speed limit for 60 and lower. Used 87 octane gas. Had less than 2K miles on the truck. I got 11.1 mpg.

The trailer is 24.5 ft long, and weighs approximately 5,360#.

DEWAI

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
XLT FX4 POWERBOOST
its true - this motor hates the cold - Now going into late March - I was getting 18 MPG during winter - now I am getting 22.4 MPG combined -

UGADawg96

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'21 302A 157 PB
It has been 85-90* here today. I was getting about 18mpg doing 80mph on I-95.... and I couldn't keep up with traffic. :oops:

This morning coming back from breakfast, it was cooler around 65* out, mostly doing 45mph, and got 23mpg. :cool:

PB 157wb, no level, LT285/60r20 Geolandar G015

Ford F-150 Another Powerboost horrible mileage thread 12mpg 1647720663434
Sponsored