Air Conditioning quit working/ blowing

FixOrRepairDaily

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 F150 Lariat Powerboost star white
I got my truck back. ac seems to be working.

note says

"FOUND EVAP TEMP SENSOR READING LESS THAN 32 DEGREES USING
DATALOGGER AND TEMPERATURE GUN TO VERIFY EVAP CORE TEMPS EVAPORATOR
,, TEMPERATURE SENSOR IS FAULTY, REPLACE VEAP CORE AND SENSOR. ACCESS DASH
AND EVAP CASE TO REMOVE AND INSTALL NEW EVAP CORE ASSEMBLY WITH
,, , EXPANSION VALVE. REASSEMBLE VEHICLE"

they replaced evaporator and sensor
Sponsored

SRMD

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2008 Sequoia, 2019 Outback, 1998 XJ
This has happened to me 3 times. If I turn off the truck for 5-10 mins (I.e. getting gas or running into store), A/C returns functional when I restart the truck. Went to dealer on Saturday for a $50 oil change and they tried pulling up the data to check any errors. APIM fault seemed to be consistent during these times. Dealer suggested to make note of date and time that it happens, since it is intermittent and they will look for error logs to help diagnose.

mistermoon

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 F150 XLT Supercrew 4x4 PB
I took my truck in for the same issue, diagnosed as above. Recommended action was to replace the whole evaporator assembly due to a faulty sensor. However, parts were not available so I got my truck back until they could get them.

Today my service advisor called me to tell me what he learned. First is that parts are backordered, no ETA. Second is that he's heard from Ford that after replacing a bunch of these it's not solving the issue consistently. Ford is advising my dealer to hold off on doing anything while they investigate it further. The issue may be able to be resolved in software and they are currently exploring that avenue.

In the meantime they recommend not running my cabin temperature below about 70F on AC to mitigate the problem.

The reality is it only has occurred a few times and I know how to resolve it easily, so I'm ok with waiting. (The temporary fix is when your evaporator ices over is to turn off the AC until you feel air coming out of the vents and then turn it back on again. Easy peasy. )

RowdyRaptor

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 F-150 Raptor
Going to add my input here as well. I've been having this issue as well on my 2023 Raptor 37PP.

I had the evaporator and sensor replaced and the issue occurred again yesterday (about 10 days after getting the replacement done). This was my second visit for the issue and now total 26 days in service for the issue since picking it up new on 3/24/23. I'm debating on dropping it for a 3rd time, but am not sure what it will accomplish at this point.

I've had nothing but problems trying to get this fixed. Between the extended test drives, idling time, and damage to my vehicle while in for service that no one will take accountability for...it's been AWEFUL. I've been "Ford Family" for over 30 years, owned over half a dozen F150's personally, currently have 8 Ford vehicles in my immediate family, and I have never experienced something like this.

Here's my rant from my latest (2nd) experience at Ted Britt of Chantilly, VA:
I dropped it on 7/6/23 with over half a tank of fuel (see pic 1). I made the appointment 2-3 weeks prior. The truck didn't get looked at until the afternoon of 7/10/23 and they request the extended test drive). They proceed to take 2x extended drives (to their homes) over the next 2 evenings including under some pine trees (see pic 7 from my dash cam) which I'm guessing caused the big chip on my driver fender (see pic 5). They finally determine they will do the evaporator replacement. They do the replacement and I now have pry marks on my console trim (see pic 4) from them removing it. They also decided that giving the truck back to me with 50 miles till empty (less than 1/8th of a tank) (see pic 2) and dirty with fingerprints all over the inside of the windshield from them removing the dash for the evaporator was acceptable.

The dealer will tell you "Well, we don't make them" and Ford will tell you "Dealers are private and need to fix that. We don't get involved". Now THAT is customer service I tell ya. I now have a 2nd case open with them, since the first went nowhere and the Ford customer care/complaint department is equally as non responsive as the dealer was/is. I REALLY don't want to lemon this truck, but this experience is truly ruining it for me and I'm to the point where I'm about to leave the brand honestly. I just don't knw what else I'd get comparable to a Raptor. I'd probably take a replacement, but 37pp Raptors aren't the easiest to come by and Im not even sure how the process works. This isn't my first one and I still have my 2014 Gen 1 Raptor because I love it so much.

FYI....Ford Customer care and complaints department is a JOKE and a complete waste of time. They will do absolutely ZERO for you including not answer a single question, concern, or request you have. They've been sent every single picture and issue I've had in email correspondence and either don't respond or just give me the run around.

I hope all of you keep an eye out for things like this if you choose to go down the path of trying to replicate this and getting it fixed through a dealer. The evaporator/sensor replacement is NOT a guaranteed fix for this.

Ford F-150 Air Conditioning quit working/ blowing Pic 1.PNG

Ford F-150 Air Conditioning quit working/ blowing Pic 7.PNG

Ford F-150 Air Conditioning quit working/ blowing Pic 5

Ford F-150 Air Conditioning quit working/ blowing Pic 4

Ford F-150 Air Conditioning quit working/ blowing Pic 2.PNG

Snakebitten

First Name
Bruce
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 F150 KingRanch Powerboost
After purchase support for Ford products is at an all time low spot in my lifetime.

I still have some goodwill left in the Blue Oval tank. But I have to be very cautious about letting the Factory Authorized Service industry even touch my product. I get the feeling that they could drain that tank and I'd be buying products that I desire less, just out of spite.

Sponsored

OP
OP
loganlaporte

loganlaporte

First Name
Logan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Was 2021 F150 Powerboost now 2022 PB Platinum
Here’s what the dash out job looks like. Courtesy of my dealer. Funny, they even showcase the repair.

J17GT

First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Lariat 502a
Just experienced this for the first time. Had a 2 hour road trip this morning early and had the a/c on for most of the trip. Fan speed on 1 and the temp around 70*. Did not notice anything wrong on the drive. Truck sat in the driveway for about an hour and then had to run an errand 15 minutes away. On the way back I notice the airflow is not great. With the fan set on 1 you hardly feel anything out of the vents. Like others have reported, you can hear the blower motor when you crank up the fan speed, but don‘t get nearly the airflow as normal.

I looked on the ground and only saw two small drops of condensation. I cranked up the heat and had it blasting out the vents for a few minutes. Went back to look and it was like someone dumped a bucket of water on the ground. Maybe that is normal with a rapid thaw or maybe the evaporator was frozen over, not sure.

Everything seems fine now. Going to see if I notice a pattern. I have zero interest in a Ford “tech” pulling the dash out of my truck. I’m also not convinced replacement parts are a guarantee fix. Did a 15 hour road trip back in June with the a/c on the entire time and it was fine. Maybe certain environmental factors come in to play here. Frustrating for sure…

OP
OP
loganlaporte

loganlaporte

First Name
Logan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
ok, I have been working on this extensively since my original post.
Here is what I can conclusively say.
1: Evaporator core temp doesnt change between set temp LO and 71. So there's no reason to suspect set temp the reason for lockup.
2: According to the PID the recirc door partially closes on shut down which is leading me to believe its a culprit to the nasty/ moldy smell.
3: Draining: this is a weird one and I have even borescoped the drain hole. My a/c system doesnt drain or condensate till the a/c is switched off and the evaporator core starts to warm up for its usual temp for 2-4c. When it does start draining its coming from the drain hole and somewhere between the firewall.

It sucks but a workaround I have found to work for all of this is a minute or so before truck shutdown, turn a/c system off and recirc off. Keep in mind this will be set the next time you start so you have to turn it all back on again. The remote start settings work independently of these settings based on outside air temp.

KingDavid

First Name
Dah
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150 XLT SCREW 4×4 5.0
Just happened to me yesterday. AC is out. Blows hot, weak pressure from passenger side. Manual controls. Smh, they haven't figured it out two years later?

Edit; I unplugged the negative terminal and decided to check the fuses under the hood. It's like none of them are properly seated, wtf. Idk what the fuse # is for the AC yet, but I'm going to seat all of them properly, find the fuse, and check. Doubtful that it would solve the AC problem, but that's weird af.

Last edited:

KingDavid

First Name
Dah
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Just experienced this for the first time. Had a 2 hour road trip this morning early and had the a/c on for most of the trip. Fan speed on 1 and the temp around 70*. Did not notice anything wrong on the drive. Truck sat in the driveway for about an hour and then had to run an errand 15 minutes away. On the way back I notice the airflow is not great. With the fan set on 1 you hardly feel anything out of the vents. Like others have reported, you can hear the blower motor when you crank up the fan speed, but don‘t get nearly the airflow as normal.

I looked on the ground and only saw two small drops of condensation. I cranked up the heat and had it blasting out the vents for a few minutes. Went back to look and it was like someone dumped a bucket of water on the ground. Maybe that is normal with a rapid thaw or maybe the evaporator was frozen over, not sure.

Everything seems fine now. Going to see if I notice a pattern. I have zero interest in a Ford “tech” pulling the dash out of my truck. I’m also not convinced replacement parts are a guarantee fix. Did a 15 hour road trip back in June with the a/c on the entire time and it was fine. Maybe certain environmental factors come in to play here. Frustrating for sure…
I remote start a lot. I changed the temp setting from auto to last settings. What I used to do and have always done before hand was cut the AC off before turning off the truck until I changed those settings.

Very hot & humid Fort Lauderdale weather. So I need this fixed ASAP. Have yet to hit 10k miles lol. I'm at 9,157 miles currently. Now I gotta flash my tune back to stock, smh.

Sponsored

Kangio

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F150 PB Platinum RR BAP in production 4/5/23
Happened to me last week. My truck is less than 1 month old. Happened same day I noted fluid leaking from engine and assume they were related. Turns out the fluid leak was from faulty transmission pan, which is now getting replaced. So looks like I have two issues with his new truck. Lucky me!

OP
OP
loganlaporte

loganlaporte

First Name
Logan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Just happened to me yesterday. AC is out. Blows hot, weak pressure from passenger side. Manual controls. Smh, they haven't figured it out two years later?

Edit; I unplugged the negative terminal and decided to check the fuses under the hood. It's like none of them are properly seated, wtf. Idk what the fuse # is for the AC yet, but I'm going to seat all of them properly, find the fuse, and check. Doubtful that it would solve the AC problem, but that's weird af.
This was a known issue in the 21-and early 22 trucks. Surprised loose fuses didnt nab you with other issues sooner.

KingDavid

First Name
Dah
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
This was a known issue in the 21-and early 22 trucks. Surprised loose fuses didnt nab you with other issues sooner.
I saw the thread afterwards, funnily enough. Almost all of them were not seated. Before I purchased my truck (6300 miles), there apparently was an APIM replacement according to my VIN. So maybe it affected the previous owner? Interesting.

KingDavid

First Name
Dah
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
ok, I have been working on this extensively since my original post.
Here is what I can conclusively say.
1: Evaporator core temp doesnt change between set temp LO and 71. So there's no reason to suspect set temp the reason for lockup.
2: According to the PID the recirc door partially closes on shut down which is leading me to believe its a culprit to the nasty/ moldy smell.
3: Draining: this is a weird one and I have even borescoped the drain hole. My a/c system doesnt drain or condensate till the a/c is switched off and the evaporator core starts to warm up for its usual temp for 2-4c. When it does start draining its coming from the drain hole and somewhere between the firewall.

It sucks but a workaround I have found to work for all of this is a minute or so before truck shutdown, turn a/c system off and recirc off. Keep in mind this will be set the next time you start so you have to turn it all back on again. The remote start settings work independently of these settings based on outside air temp.
No fkn wonder. I remote start every time and changed the A/C setting from AUTO to "Last Settings" or whatever that says. In all of my previous vehicles, I always turn off the AC and wait until I hear it "shut down" before I turn the vehicle off and I rarely had issues with AC unless the car was really high in mileage.

Should have left it at auto on this truck and continued powering the AC off before turning off the truck. I just warned my boy about it; just got a 23' a month or so ago.

Thank you for doing this research.

Rambo Crane

First Name
Mr. Crane
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 F-150 Tremor
Occupation
USAF
For those that have had the fix---did the fix (new evap core and sensor) resolve your issues?

My 2023 Raptor is having the fix performed now. My fingers are crossed the TSB / evap core and sensor resolve the issue. I had seeing a new $90k truck w/ less than 2k on the odo have the dash and interior pulled apart.

@Ford Motor Company Can you chime provide details on successful resolution?
Sponsored