Air Conditioning quit working/ blowing

AB_GA

First Name
Alan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 F150 XLT
Ford contacted me yesterday about my truck. They confirmed they do not have a resolution at this time. For customer goodwill they are giving me free schedulued maintenance up to 36,000 miles.

Not sure I'll take them up on it however since getting an oil change at any dealer around here is such a lengthy and painful process. I can can change my own oil in about 15 minutes with Mobil 1 and a motorcraft filter for less than $35. I appreciate the gesture, but I'd rather it get fixed.
Couldn't agree more - let us know if you find out more. In the interim, I manually hold mine at 70 on cool and that seems to keep me cool and it doesn't freeze up (yet)....
Sponsored

mistermoon

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 F150 XLT Supercrew 4x4 PB
Couldn't agree more - let us know if you find out more. In the interim, I manually hold mine at 70 on cool and that seems to keep me cool and it doesn't freeze up (yet)....
We left on a 31-day 4400 mile Georgia-Colorado-New Mexico-Texas-Georgia road trip in in late August, towing our camper, and it was super hot until we got to about Kansas. The AC froze up a couple of times even at 70. Running on recirc helped, but in southern Illinois where it was 98 F with a dew point of 81 there is not much you can do. Turning the AC off and running the fan on high melted it off pretty quickly and we were fortunately never uncomfortable.

OP
OP
loganlaporte

loganlaporte

First Name
Logan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Was 2021 F150 Powerboost now 2022 PB Platinum
All,

I believe I have posted it on this thread but maybe not.

Keeping the HVAC set temp to 70 doesnt do anything to avoid the freeze up from happening. Evap core temp, and fan flow is the same at 70 all the way to "LO" and viewable on the PID's.
According to oasis information this has something to do with humidity. I agree with this finding because on humid days and recirc off I can trigger the freeze up faster. Im going to speculate it has something to do with the warm humid air condensing on the cold evaporator core and freezing instead of running off as a liquid and draining out the firewall drip line. Running recirc has its own caveats of not letting condensed liquid drain out but that a separate issue.
The solution is going to be a redesigned evaporator core coupled with adjusted blend door logic.

blessard

First Name
Brad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 F-150
Occupation
Engineer
I know the AC going out, air flow stopping and evaporator core freezing issue is still on going but i've been reading TSB 22-2089 isnt valid anymore. Does anyone have a valid replacement? I'm going thorugh this issue right now and want to have all my ducks in a row before I head back to the service center.

I have posted the TSB for reference.
Thank you for posting the TSB! I just bought my 2023 F-150 in July and saw this issue on Sunday during a long drive in the mountains (about 90 degrees). Sounds exactly like what I've read here: Air flow reduced to barely blowing even though I had AC on max. I asked the service rep. at the dealer, of course he had no knowledge of it. I don't see any posts more recent than this on this issue, do you know of any update? Thanks!!

blessard

First Name
Brad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 F-150
Occupation
Engineer
All,

I believe I have posted it on this thread but maybe not.

Keeping the HVAC set temp to 70 doesnt do anything to avoid the freeze up from happening. Evap core temp, and fan flow is the same at 70 all the way to "LO" and viewable on the PID's.
According to oasis information this has something to do with humidity. I agree with this finding because on humid days and recirc off I can trigger the freeze up faster. Im going to speculate it has something to do with the warm humid air condensing on the cold evaporator core and freezing instead of running off as a liquid and draining out the firewall drip line. Running recirc has its own caveats of not letting condensed liquid drain out but that a separate issue.
The solution is going to be a redesigned evaporator core coupled with adjusted blend door logic.
Oh, I just saw this post. My service rep. told me I could make a follow up apt. and they would try to duplicate it. Any additional information or new TSB references would be greatly appreciated!

Sponsored

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F 150 Platium
Occupation
Retired
My dealer could not replicate it, so ford will not cover it. Even though they know it is a common issue. $60,000 truck and the AC won't stay on????

LivingPeachy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 F-150 Tremor
I have less than 250 miles on my new Tremor and starting having the same issue last weekend. Dealer Warranty Rep said Ford isn't replacing any parts anymore and are waiting for a system update instead. Thank God it's cooling down in Houston. Hope the new "fix" is released soon though.

CoastalTechie

First Name
Preston
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Ford F-150 Platinum
I have been having the same issues since the day I drove my 2023 F150 Powerboost home with under 100 miles, thought it was a fluke but now wish I had turned around and taken it right back. I experience the issue of low/no air flow at least once a week. Like others, I can turn the A/C off and drive for 10-15 minutes, turn the air back on and enjoy cool air for a short amount of time before the issue restarts. I dropped the truck off at the dealership two days ago and they have of course been unable to replicate the issue there. I have been unable to identify any particular set of circumstances that causes the issue more often, sometimes it happens on long drives but not always and sometimes it can happen very quickly on a short drive. Will share with the group what I learn from the dealer on this visit in a day or two.

Snakebitten

First Name
Bruce
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 F150 KingRanch Powerboost
Ford KNOWS exactly what causes this. And I would think any dealership that performed the TSB successfully, knows too.
The symptoms described fit the malady exactly!

It's bad enough that a 2023 is shipped with the KNOWN issue. But pretending like it's something that can't be reproduced is so disingenuous.

The evaporator is freezing up and impeding airflow. The owner is then changing settings that allow the ice to defrost. Airflow returns.

What baffles me most is why 2 identical truck in say.... Houston Texas, and 1 will freeze up while the other never has?
Is it a faulty temperature sensor? (the TSB stated it was)

Sponsored

CoastalTechie

First Name
Preston
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Ford F-150 Platinum
The latest update -- as soon as it started turning warm here in SC, I fired up the A/C and of course, it stopped blowing not long after. I scheduled yet another appointment with the dealership for April 8. Will keep everyone posted on updates. No way I am entering the summer with air working part time.

dbtgt

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150 Lariat 501A, 2024 F150 501A on order
Occupation
Retired
The latest update -- as soon as it started turning warm here in SC, I fired up the A/C and of course, it stopped blowing not long after. I scheduled yet another appointment with the dealership for April 8. Will keep everyone posted on updates. No way I am entering the summer with air working part time.
Subscribing for updates on this problem - my 2021 501A has this issue as well...

AB_GA

First Name
Alan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 F150 XLT
I know this sounds strange for an A/C, but last year, mine also stopped - and usually at the most inopportune times like on a 200 mile trip on a hot day driving into the sun. I learned after trial and error that keeping it at 70 seemed to keep it cooling to some degree. It's shocking to me that Ford can get away w/ this on trucks still under warranty. I've not seen anyone on this thread that successfully had a dealer say they knew the problem, how to fixe it, and got it fixed.
Sponsored