Aftermarket trailer brake controller

LegaZ88Z

First Name
Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150
Hey all, I have a 2021 with integrated trailer brake controller. I've experienced the issues other have had in that it doesn't seem to apply any power to my TT when brake is pressed. Yes all the things are turned on and set to maximum. Even the slide brake only clenches the trailer brakes just barely. Nothing wrong with TT, Teknosha controller on my wife's jeep works perfect.
My question is. Can I install the Teknosha controller in my truck? Dealership can't get me in for over a month and I'll be needing to tow the TT in a couple of weeks.
Sponsored

UncleFester

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 F150
From what I remember prior to 21 you could plug a pigtail under the dash to the controller, but 21 and newer no. People are using the Curt Echo which plugs into the 7 pin connection at the bumper and pairs to your cell phone via bluetooth and works perfect.

Kanuck

First Name
Don
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 XLT Scab 3.5 EB 6.5 Carbonized Grey Metallic
Occupation
Retired Electrician
Try cleaning the 7 pin contacts on both the truck and trailer. Connect a 12 volt light bulb to the brake wire and ground. It should get brighter the higher you turn up the brake. If not, check you brake fuse. Make sure there is a brake signal coming from the truck. Put a little dielectric grease on the contacts as well.

franksfords

First Name
Frank
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2004 F150,2007 Explorer,2018 Explorer,2023 F150
Occupation
computer technician
I've used a Curt with my 2004 F150 and 2018 Explorer with no issues. Haven't tried it on my23 F150 yet. Waiting until I get some miles on it .

OP
OP
LegaZ88Z

LegaZ88Z

First Name
Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150
I'll try cleaning and dielectric everything tomorrow. The truck is sending some sort of signal as I said but only using the slide bar and I can feel the TT pull back. But it's only slightly. In the event of trailer sway it wouldn't be enough to straighten it back out. It definitely won't lock up. I'll get a test light on it as well. Is there a certain voltage range I should be seeing from the pin out?

It still baffles me there's no other alternative to the factory device. No way to wire around it with a stand alone? Crazy...

Hopefully Ford dealership can figure it out. Main reason we bought this truck was to pull the camper.

Sponsored

OP
OP
LegaZ88Z

LegaZ88Z

First Name
Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150
I've used a Curt with my 2004 F150 and 2018 Explorer with no issues. Haven't tried it on my23 F150 yet. Waiting until I get some miles on it .
I see a couple of Echo products online. Which should I look into the trailer plug or the under dash module or both?

OP
OP
LegaZ88Z

LegaZ88Z

First Name
Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150
I was concerned about the OEM TBC in my ‘22 Lariat, and bought this to test it. Turns out my truck was fine — had an issue with the wiring on the trailer.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0BWGGKM1C/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o01_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1
I'll check the trailer out tomorrow. But, we used to tow it with my wife's Jeep all the time with an aftermarket controller. Always worked perfect. Worth looking into. Thank you

Eidt: I do find it ironic that they use an F150 in thier Amazon pictures for the product. Haha

DW2020

First Name
Doug
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F-150 KR PB
OP
OP
LegaZ88Z

LegaZ88Z

First Name
Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150
Anyone know the voltage the truck is supposed to be putting out when the brake is pressed?

Sponsored

whizkidder

First Name
Ron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 F150 502
Occupation
Retired
The TBC outputs vary based on vehicle speed, slope of the road, configured weight of the trailer, and several other variables. Sitting still, it probably won’t put out any voltage to the trailer brakes when the pedal is pushed. That’s where a dedicated tester like the one I linked comes in handy — you can monitor the TBC output from the cab while you drive.

franksfords

First Name
Frank
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2004 F150,2007 Explorer,2018 Explorer,2023 F150
Occupation
computer technician
I see a couple of Echo products online. Which should I look into the trailer plug or the under dash module or both?
I got the one that connects to vehicle and trailer plugs into it. Has Bluetooth to connect to app on phone.
Sponsored