First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F150 2021
Occupation
Farm
Does anybody know where is the connector for the brake controller. I have the pig tail that comes with the vehicle (in a bag at the glove box). And that connector doesn’t fit any of the connectors of the vehicle. The installer opened the “coin change holder” and there is a plug hidden behind it, but that connector is very small, non compatible with the with the pig tail provided by Ford. I called the dealer and the original Trailer Brake Controller is not available for ordering yet. I have a gorgeous new truck and I can not tow with it. Help!!!
Sponsored

JIMFINNERTY

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150
Occupation
Retired Engineer
James - I'm in the same boat! FIrst F150 I've owned - bought it to tow a camper we also just bought - and I didn't realize until after I closed the deal that there was no brake controller installed. Now the dealer is telling me that part is not available yet. Unreal....have you gotten any updates on availability? Thanks - Jim

Bryan Simon

First Name
Bryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
65 Ranchero, 66 ElCamino, 05 Ranger, and more
Occupation
Maintenance
The Controller can be ordered, it is just not going to be delivered to the dealers for a month or two.
I had asked to have it added to my order, but with all the other strange stuff going on, the dealer suggested he could add it when the truck was delivered.
When the truck got here, I ordered a couple of accessories and the controller--and paid for them.
So, now it is on the dealer, but I am confident it will be installed when it is available

OP
OP

JamesC

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F150 2021
Occupation
Farm
The F150 is the best truck you could have bought. Thats for sure, the problem is the 2021 model year does not take aftermarket brake controllers (aparently) and it has to be the OEM part. The dealers don’t have the parts it is in backorder. The part has to be installed and the computer has to be programmed at the dealer, not a big deal, but the problem is there is no part. I’ve been reading about issue with supply of electronic components due to shortages of raw materials. I read that this is affecting all automakers, but F150 in particular. I don’t know if this is the reason. At this point we just have to wait for the dealer to have the part so they can install it.

JIMFINNERTY

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150
Occupation
Retired Engineer
OK thanks guys. I'm very frustrated that they sold me a truck with no brake controller after hours of discussing that we wanted it to tow a camper. I can't believe I bought a truck with a 5.0L 8 cylinder engine with tow sway control etc. and there is no brake controller. Unreal!

Sponsored

OP
OP

JamesC

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F150 2021
Occupation
Farm
I feel your pain. Keep us posted if you hear from the dealership when the part is available. I will do the same. I can not tow my camper either, my vacations are in jeopardy...

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
ford
I have a new F150 in my shop. it has a supplied Ford aftermarket plug in harness.
I am working with ford as to the location it plugs into. part #mlt-15a416-aa

Boston

First Name
Jon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150 XLT SuperCrew
I had my dealer order the OEM brake controller,, but as mentioned above it’ll be a few months. I was given a price of $180 for the controller and about $350 for install.

Bryan Simon

First Name
Bryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
65 Ranchero, 66 ElCamino, 05 Ranger, and more
Occupation
Maintenance
I had my dealer order the OEM brake controller,, but as mentioned above it’ll be a few months. I was given a price of $180 for the controller and about $350 for install.
Wow

I attempted to have it added after ordering, but all the weird things going with the new trucks at the time, my dealer said they would install at the dealer.

Truck comes in ( 6 mo after ordering) and the controller is not available yet.

But, they honored the 275 price as installed option and it has already been paid for, so, it has been ordered.

Today, the dealer called and told me that he has several buyers waiting for it.
Pretty sure I’m first on the list. I was the very first 2021 order at that dealer.

Sponsored

Boston

First Name
Jon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150 XLT SuperCrew
Wow

I attempted to have it added after ordering, but all the weird things going with the new trucks at the time, my dealer said they would install at the dealer.

Truck comes in ( 6 mo after ordering) and the controller is not available yet.

But, they honored the 275 price as installed option and it has already been paid for, so, it has been ordered.

Today, the dealer called and told me that he has several buyers waiting for it.
Pretty sure I’m first on the list. I was the very first 2021 order at that dealer.
They really didn’t seem to flinch when I asked.however I’ve had an issue since then so I guess once they fix that problem I’ll find out if they chose to not follow through on the brake controller.

OP
OP

JamesC

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F150 2021
Occupation
Farm
has part #fl3t-14a348-aa on harmess as well
Yeah, the truck came with a pigtail cable in a bag in the glove box, the prior models (2020 and earlier) you can use that pigtail and plug it in the connector and you can use the aftermarket brake controller. The 2021 model year is an all new program, all new truck, apparently Ford changed that. Not only the connector is not longer in the same place, but also you have to “re-flash” the computer to allow the brake controller to work. Do a test, plug a 7pin tester on your trailer and you will see the truck wont even send 12v power to the 7pin plug, it needs to be programmed. The part goes where the coin change holder is, if you remove it, you will see the brake controller connector. The install is plug and play, and re-flash the computer. That is what I was told..

But you if you were able to install an aftermarket, please share with us how.

mflynndelta

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150 FX4 Powerboost Platinum White 7.2kw pro
Occupation
Retired
Does anybody know where is the connector for the brake controller. I have the pig tail that comes with the vehicle (in a bag at the glove box). And that connector doesn’t fit any of the connectors of the vehicle. The installer opened the “coin change holder” and there is a plug hidden behind it, but that connector is very small, non compatible with the with the pig tail provided by Ford. I called the dealer and the original Trailer Brake Controller is not available for ordering yet. I have a gorgeous new truck and I can not tow with it. Help!!!
have you considered using the Curt wireless Bluetooth controller for now till ford comes up with the part ?
I have one I used on my old Kia Sorento and it works fairly well. If interested IM me I can sell it now that I ordered my platy

OP
OP

JamesC

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F150 2021
Occupation
Farm
have you considered using the Curt wireless Bluetooth controller for now till ford comes up with the part ?
I have one I used on my old Kia Sorento and it works fairly well. If interested IM me I can sell it now that I ordered my platy
I did, I went to a place and they plugged the wireless controller. But the truck doesn’t send the 12v power if the computer is not flashed for a controller, so the wireless controller doesn’t turn on. The wireless one uses the same power that charges the battery of the camper. One solution could be if ford changes the computer and allows 12v to go to the 7pin connector

cmarjr123

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150 Lariat 3.5L Eco
I Just received the integral brake controller today - had it shipped straight to my house. There are 2 components - the trailer brake adjuster that goes in the dashboard and a module to mount under the dashboard that has an inlet and outlet for wiring harness's. I was going to install myself but no instructions and there are no videos online to assist with taking apart the dash and installing - so I guess Im forced to pay the dealer.

For what its worth - all the talk about Tow rating limitations, Im pretty sure its all about the brake controller, rear axle and GVWR package. But even if you have the upgraded options the brake controller limits everything because you cant safely tow anything more than 7,000 lbs without using an electric brake. That being said - 1/2 ton pickups really shouldnt be towing anything much more than 7,000 lbs anyway but I digress.
Sponsored