First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150
Occupation
Retired Engineer
Interesting - my dealer was able to find me the adjuster and it fits right in the coin slot - but wasn't able to get it to work. Has a call in to Ford but haven't heard from the Dealership in a week. What a disaster. Bought an F150 that is worthless to me right now because it can't tow my trailer. How embarrassing.

Question though - the camper I bought is 5000 lbs unloaded...any opinions if I can at least tow it to the house unloaded (without the brake adjuster) so I can get it home??
Sponsored

SuvE

First Name
Gary
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150
Occupation
Retired
How far? Flat ground or hills?

JIMFINNERTY

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150
Occupation
Retired Engineer
About 30 miles....very flat.....mostly highway (I-495 and I-195 in Massachusetts).
Thanks!

Charlie M

First Name
Charlie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150
Occupation
Self Employed
I have the same issue. I purchased a 60k truck, and found that I can not put an aftermarket brake controller. I went to the dealer to get the Original Ford part, and waited for 1 month for the part to arrive. Took the truck to the dealership and they told me they can not install the brake controller. The truck has the 7pin connector, and can not have it installed. I can’t believe this. Never again will buy Ford. It is incredible to believe a 60k truck will not be capable of towing more than 2k lb. I’m losing work because of this, I had to buy an used truck so I don’t lose business. I’m very dissatisfied with the decisions of Ford. Never again.

JIMFINNERTY

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150
Occupation
Retired Engineer
I'm scheduled to drop the truck off tomorrow to see if they can activate the controller - I'll let you know how I make out.

Sponsored

JIMFINNERTY

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150
Occupation
Retired Engineer
Hello all - not sure if you are still dealing with this issue - but just got a call from my dealership and they were successful in installing the brake controller in my 2021 F-150. Will be picking it up tomorrow. Took over two months to resolve but I'm hoping this is a done deal!

Charlie M

First Name
Charlie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150
Occupation
Self Employed
Hi Jim, mine got installed too. It took a while, they had a computer configuration issue. Glad it is all resolved.

Rctj f-150

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 f-150 STX
Just got mine installed as well. Dealer had my truck for two days, said the issue was not with the truck but with Fords communication software.

beerandon88

First Name
Brandon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150
Has anyone tried installing the factory controller themselves? I ordered it and the actual switch seems pretty straight forward but I have no clue where the other box goes and what connects to that.

bobstar

First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 f150 Lariat
Occupation
Retired
Has anyone tried installing the factory controller themselves? I ordered it and the actual switch seems pretty straight forward but I have no clue where the other box goes and what connects to that.
Just get the dealer to install they have to program it any way, don’t wast your time. They can install it in minutes, they program.

Sponsored

STX21

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 stx
Did you end up having dealer install the brake controller? have you found any new info on self install? i have the parts but no direction as to install. Im not sure which parts to remove from the dash and where to mount the module.

RockStorm3215

First Name
Robert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Screw Lariat
Has anyone figured a way to use an aftermarket controller like a Tekonsha? I’m thinking logically the module under the dash can receive voltage input from any inertia style brake controller. So if the truck is reflashed and has the module for the factory connector, why do we need to buy the $230 Ford controller?
Sponsored