Sponsored

Add Ambient Interior Lighting to Doors on a XLT 302A?

volvofan94

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150 XLT FX4 3.5L EcoBoost
Hey All,

I’m working through adding the Ambient Interior Lighting kit to my F150 XLT and I ordered parts to add the lights in the doors. All doors have the cutouts for the LED lights, but after removing the door panel from the passenger front door, I don’t have a harness from the factory for power and light control above the speaker.

Before I return the parts, is it possible to add the harness to an XLT 302A crew cab with the 8 speaker B&O audio?

Thanks!
Sponsored

HammaMan

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 302a PB, Mach E GTPE
There's no cheap / easy way to get factory ambient in the doors. I instead chose to use 'ice blue' 12v LED strips and tap them into the factory dimming circuit that each door has for the window / lock illumination.

The factory color is more of teal FWIW, and there's no mass-produced LED of that color I was able to find. The iced blue color is more blue than the factory, but blends nicely. My cellphone manipulates the coloration too much, I'll try and take a video w/ the SLR tonight if you're interested. $40 worth of parts was enough to do 2 SCREW cabs with remaining parts.

HammaMan

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
haven't done the floor lights yet (factory) but here's the color difference in the color that "ice blue" leds are.... Trying to find the SLR's memory card, so here's the phone's interpretation.

Ford F-150 Add Ambient Interior Lighting to Doors on a XLT 302A? 1677556446212

Front w/ out the handle's LEDs, you can see the color. The brightness is off though, phone is doing its thing.
Ford F-150 Add Ambient Interior Lighting to Doors on a XLT 302A? 1677556495111

Ford F-150 Add Ambient Interior Lighting to Doors on a XLT 302A? 1677556558270

OP
OP

volvofan94

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150 XLT FX4 3.5L EcoBoost
@HammaMan, those LED lights look great! Will keep the mod in mind in case I want to add them later on. At the moment, I'm on a factory option kick, but will definitely consider doing this mod instead of going factory.

Yesterday I looked on parts.ford.com and found part numbers for the door harnesses with the Ambient Lighting. My "uneducated" guess is if you want to install the factory Ambient lights on an XLT, it may require removing the current door harness on all doors then replacing it with these. I would consider proceeding, but not sure if the main body harness is the same across all trims and options.

Too many questions to invest more into the factory door Ambient Lighting project. lol. Will return those parts this week.

HammaMan

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
@HammaMan, those LED lights look great! Will keep the mod in mind in case I want to add them later on. At the moment, I'm on a factory option kick, but will definitely consider doing this mod instead of going factory.

Yesterday I looked on parts.ford.com and found part numbers for the door harnesses with the Ambient Lighting. My "uneducated" guess is if you want to install the factory Ambient lights on an XLT, it may require removing the current door harness on all doors then replacing it with these. I would consider proceeding, but not sure if the main body harness is the same across all trims and options.

Too many questions to invest more into the factory door Ambient Lighting project. lol. Will return those parts this week.
I haven't probed the vehicle to door harnesses (vehicle side), but I do know the door harnesses themselves and the harness that goes to the driver's seat in 302a PTS do not have any of those lin bus wires present. Locate the harness that feeds the driver's seat in the manual as that's likely a potential source for the doors on the driver side. I can say 100% that the harness that feeds the harness of the driver seat is completely stripped of everything but the features needed to power the seat / airbag. It's a 30 pin harness containing maybe 10 wires, all related strictly to the 8/10 way XLT trucks on BOTH sides of the interface. So for instance the missing ambient LED on the driver's side isn't a simple seat harness, the vehicle side harness is missing that as well.
Sponsored