First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F-150
Occupation
industrial mechanic
Depends a bit on what your truck has and what you want done. I have a very similar truck to yours. I had the footwell connectors already and I only wanted the footwells and lighted cup holders (with XLT and media bin cover didn't want to do that and I solved the glove box light a different way). So got the harness and wire jumper from JHForman812. With those in hand I would say took me total ~2 hrs but I went super slow to ensure I didn't make any mistakes and didn't snap any of the 6 console bolts. Also first time I had snapped off trim so went super slow on that.

I did in 2 steps. Installed the footwell lights (just snap in), jumper and the harness. Then came back and did the cupholder light the next day.

Media bin and glove box takes more time as there is some cutting to do unless u already have the holes (some did).

Great writeups in this thread and John is a great help.

Hope this helps.
yeah I'm doing just the cupholder and footwells, front and rear. No media bin and my truck already has the glove box lights as well as the hookups already in place for the front ambient. But 2 hours is good. I have to borrow a garage so just getting an estimate
Sponsored

Northguy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 F150 XLT, 2010 F150 XLT
yeah I'm doing just the cupholder and footwells, front and rear. No media bin and my truck already has the glove box lights as well as the hookups already in place for the front ambient. But 2 hours is good. I have to borrow a garage so just getting an estimate
I didn't do the rear and regret that now as I don't think it adds a lot of work given johns great harnesses.

I see you are in NY. I am in Canada just north of you. While I did mine in my driveway this summer totally understand needing a garage now 😆.

ProperCrab

First Name
Walt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Single Cab 4x4, 2022 Crew Cab 2WD
Occupation
Commercial Project Estimator

scribb

First Name
Ian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 ford f150 xlt 302a
21 XLT 302a job 1 truck with front, passenger, and passenger rear connectors.

I successfully installed the jumper wire included with John’s harness from c2280 to c212. I successfully made the forscan changes and connected both front footwell lamps. Turned on the ambient lights through the new SYNC option. Voila! Fairly simple.

Also connected John’s harness for the cupholder/media bin light to the passenger footwell lamp - looks like I installed that correctly as well as the passenger footwell light still works. Thanks John.

Cup holder, rear footwell lights and media bin light(maybe) still to be installed - but wanted to test before taking the console apart.

The new media bin I got is a bit larger than the currently installed bin, but it does already have a cutout for the light. I’ll see if it fits before ordering the media bin light and new media bin rubber insert.

Sponsored

scribb

First Name
Ian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 ford f150 xlt 302a
21 XLT 302a job 1 truck with front, passenger, and passenger rear connectors.

I successfully installed the jumper wire included with John’s harness from c2280 to c212. I successfully made the forscan changes and connected both front footwell lamps. Turned on the ambient lights through the new SYNC option. Voila! Fairly simple.

Also connected John’s harness for the cupholder/media bin light to the passenger footwell lamp - looks like I installed that correctly as well as the passenger footwell light still works. Thanks John.

Cup holder, rear footwell lights and media bin light(maybe) still to be installed - but wanted to test before taking the console apart.

The new media bin I got is a bit larger than the currently installed bin, but it does already have a cutout for the light. I’ll see if it fits before ordering the media bin light and new media bin rubber insert.
Ford F-150 XLT trucks with push button start cup holder/ambient lighting IMG_3436

Thanks all!

Dbn23

First Name
Derek
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 F150
Occupation
Engineer
Hmm. My 22 401a tremor only has the drivers side front and the rear passenger ambient lighting connectors. Which harness would I need in this case? I’m assuming the one for having no connectors at all?

OP
OP

JHForman812

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 F350
Hmm. My 22 401a tremor only has the drivers side front and the rear passenger ambient lighting connectors. Which harness would I need in this case? I’m assuming the one for having no connectors at all?

If you have the drivers side front, you have the passenger side front you just havent located it yet. The rear connector is dead and will not work no matter what you do. If youre wanting front and rear, you would need a harness that runs from the passenger side foot well light, back to the cup holder and under to the rear seats. also a jumper wire.

Sponsored

1BADXLT

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Ford F150 XLT, 2016 Ford Focus RS
Thanks @JHForman812 ! That was a much easier install than I was expecting. The console bolts came out pretty easy thanks to your tip to back them out and run them back in when they started to get hard to turn. I think the in/out warmed up the bolts and thread locker to help with removal. No broken bolts and I was able to leave my center console fridge installed!

IMG_0086.jpeg
This looks absolutely incredible. I'm new to forums and not sure how they work really. Is there anyone from NH, MA, or CT that I could pay for there time, and even help them do the cupholders and footwell ambient lighting? I just don't have the know how and time alone to do it. I can buy the harness and everything needed from @JHForman812 as well as the Ford parts either online i.e. Tasca or locally as I know the GM personally at my Ford Dealer. Is this the main ambient lighting thread I'm posting to about this? Forgive my incompetence when it comes to this. I have a '22 PTS, XLT, 402A, with those metal tabs under footwells too. Thanks in advance if anyone local to me can help me achieve these 2 modifications. 🙏🏻

OP
OP

JHForman812

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 F350
This looks absolutely incredible. I'm new to forums and not sure how they work really. Is there anyone from NH, MA, or CT that I could pay for there time, and even help them do the cupholders and footwell ambient lighting? I just don't have the know how and time alone to do it. I can buy the harness and everything needed from @JHForman812 as well as the Ford parts either online i.e. Tasca or locally as I know the GM personally at my Ford Dealer. Is this the main ambient lighting thread I'm posting to about this? Forgive my incompetence when it comes to this. I have a '22 PTS, XLT, 402A, with those metal tabs under footwells too. Thanks in advance if anyone local to me can help me achieve these 2 modifications. 🙏🏻

youre in the right thread for an XLT PTS truck. You said you have the metal tabs, do you have the connectors on the tab

1BADXLT

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
youre in the right thread for an XLT PTS truck. You said you have the metal tabs, do you have the connectors on the tab
It appears I do, I believe. It's quite far from the opening in that metal tab but there is a small white plug on the driver side with nothing plugged into it and I believe a small black plug on the passengers side.
Ford F-150 XLT trucks with push button start cup holder/ambient lighting 20240304_205520
Ford F-150 XLT trucks with push button start cup holder/ambient lighting 20240304_205618
Ford F-150 XLT trucks with push button start cup holder/ambient lighting 20240304_205505

OP
OP

JHForman812

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 F350
It appears I do, I believe. It's quite far from the opening in that metal tab but there is a small white plug on the driver side with nothing plugged into it and I believe a small black plug on the passengers side.
20240304_205520.jpg
20240304_205618.jpg
20240304_205505.jpg

you do have the connectors.

1BADXLT

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
you do have the connectors.
Awesome! Now I just need to buy the harness(s) from you and parts from Ford for the footwell and most importantly cup holder lightning. Main thing is hoping there is someone located in NH, MA or CT on here who has done these 2 installs I could do this with. Would gladly compensate whomever could assist me. The part with the pin connectors and removing center console/old cup holders is tough for me to understand despite the great instructions on here and more importantly my hectic schedule. Would love it if someone was local I could travel to if need be or vice versa to bang this out. It's such a gorgeous upgrade I wish the truck came with.
Sponsored