Sponsored

Adaptive LED Headlights - Big Improvement

Kodiak

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 F-150 Lariat PB 7.2k, 4x4 502a Atlas Blue BAP
I do not what the last update was that I received but I think it greatly improved my adaptive LED headlights.

When I first got the truck, and ever since, I remember thinking that it really was a gimmick or a waste. Adding that complexity for what you got was not worth it at all. This morning I had to go out while it was dark and whatever happened made these things significantly better.

Maybe they just did not work right before and I never cared, but now they really move a lot with the turn of the wheel and the change from what it was, to what it is, is remarkable. I think it was the update.
Sponsored

zacko11288

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150 Lariet
Occupation
Engineering
What update did you get? What specific improvements are you seeing?

Snakebitten

First Name
Bruce
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 F150 KingRanch Powerboost
I wonder if you finally just saw it. Sometimes I think we are looking for something and miss it because we're looking for something quite different than what is actually there.

Regardless, I bet you can't UNsee now? :)

Ford4Ever

First Name
Dennis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
18 Taurus SEL AWD, 21 F150 Lariat 502a
I've noticed that the auto high beams are much more responsive and reactive since the recent updates. When I first got the truck in 2021, it seemed that I had to be the only vehicle on the road for them to work now the come on any time there isn't another set of lights directly in front of me.

JFollow

First Name
Jordan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 5.0 Lariat
Dumb question…this is with forscan mods, correct?

Sponsored

OP
OP
Kodiak

Kodiak

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 F-150 Lariat PB 7.2k, 4x4 502a Atlas Blue BAP
Dumb question…this is with forscan mods, correct?
No I have not touched forscan.

What I am seeing is that they actually turn more than a foot in the direction you turn the wheel. It was barely even noticeable before. When I would first start the truck when I first got it, it would do its little dance lining up and showing you that it is working. However on the road it never turned more than a very slight amount in turns. That was one of the things that I noticed right off. Immediately I thought that adding that kind of complexity to a headlight, for no real gain was just a waste to me.

Now, just now, the lights actually bend into a turn and seem to brighten up in the direction of the turn. It is actually doing something now.

I went looking for what the last update was and I think it was 6.5 and I got it about a week ago. The only way I knew it was updated was that it reset my setting to the "Look in the back for a kid" message when I shut off the vehicle. I did not see anything on my account for this truck at Ford.com so I do not know where to look for that latest update.

It is definitely not in my head, and while there is plenty of room in there, this is not in there. :) It was extremely noticeable with the difference. I'm just glad for the major improvement.

Now all I need for an update is to get to use the tailgate camera at speed for a digital rearview and the icing on the cake would be to get the side blind spot view (trailer view) when you turn on your directional. I know forscan can move that stupid black bar out of the way on the rear view but really Ford should just give that to us.

JFollow

First Name
Jordan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 5.0 Lariat
Ok interesting. I also thought the left/right bending never did much. I only notice the fogs turning on when turning. I’ll have to keep an eye out and report back.

Snakebitten

First Name
Bruce
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 F150 KingRanch Powerboost
I finish my drive home every evening slowly going down a one lane road through the forest. It's curvy and requires one tight right hander at the chicken coop. 👉🐔

The bending of the lights and the lighting up the inside corner is crazy cool.

fordtruckman2003

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F-150 FX4 Lariat
Love my bendy headlights! 😎

Mash150

First Name
Dale
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
21 King Ranch, 157, SQ , PB
Occupation
Unskilled House Mechanic
Sometimes you can’t see the forest for the trees. My first really visible experience was plowing through deep snow on a side street early in the morning before light heading to the main road . The truck was sliding back and forth the entire way and the bending headlights were dancing back and forth from snow bank to snow bank following the path of the truck.

Sponsored

fordtruckman2003

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F-150 FX4 Lariat
I keep getting a random DTC for one of the light modules. It goes away and comes back later. They still work though so I assume just a glitch. OEM lights did it and so do my Tremor replacement set. Different modules.

Borchelt

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F-150 XLT, Powerboost Hybrid
Occupation
Retired
here's my reply to the fog light question from the other forum. The came stock from the dealer pointed almost straight down. You do not have to remove the tire to adjust. Made a real difference during cornering.

Originally Posted by Sky11
My question is about the fog lights specifically, as recently I was driving thru fog and another time thru snow storm, where the fogs are actually supposed to make difference, and they have absolutely ZERO impact
Ford F-150 Adaptive LED Headlights - Big Improvement sad

@mclime - regarding the fog light adjustment - after searching high and low, I figured that you mean adjusting where the beam shoots, not the actual brightness... I can give it a try when the weather becomes warmer, but I do have 2' Fox leveling kit, and you would think that with the truck having almost no rake, the fogs will be aimed a bit higher and put more light on the road... not seeing it.

Will wash the truck and take some pics.

My lights had the same problem until I actually used the 10mm socket and raised them up. They came from the factory pointed so low they made no actual difference. If you try, you can just get the socket inside in the wheel well without removing the tire...worth it..

2021 F150 XLT 4x4 SCrew - Powerboost - 7.2KW ProPower - Stone Gray - 302A - Max tow - Pirelli 20's

bluejay21

First Name
C
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F-150 FX4 3.5L V6 Ecoboost
I have a 2021 F-150 XLT 3.5 EB—should I have adaptive headlights?! Maybe I just didn’t notice… ;)

bluejay21

First Name
C
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F-150 FX4 3.5L V6 Ecoboost
Hmmmm, I looked around the Settings menu, nothing labeled “Adaptive Lighting”, so it looks like my truck does not have it :( Too bad, it sounds cool!
Ford F-150 Adaptive LED Headlights - Big Improvement IMG_5615

Eskram

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 F150 Lariat PB 502a
You need the LED projector headlights and a few changes in forscan to enable the feature. If you don't have a Lariat 502a or a Platinum/Limited, you likely have different headlights - there are a few different offerings, depending on trim level.

There are ways to change to the projectors, though I think it's fairly costly to do.

Edit: I'm confusing adaptive headlights for the glare-free forscan-enabled g00dness. You do need adaptive headlights for that to work though.
Sponsored

Last edited: