First Name
Big Red
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
formerly had 2008 Toyota Tundra
Occupation
retired
My truck is an XLT 302A, it does not have Pro Power buttons anywhere, so I assume it does not have Pro Power. The window sticker shows it has "Onboard 400w Outlet" and the it has an outlet in the bed with 400w, 120v with the light always on. This outlet really doesn't run much expect phones, and small stuff. It would not run a blow dryer or vacuum. Am I doing something wrong or is this just a standard plug like on the inside and worthless for actual power tools? Just trying to get to know the trucks capabilities.
I tried a leaf blower yesterday and it stunk.
Sponsored

RJL1400

First Name
Big Red
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
formerly had 2008 Toyota Tundra
Occupation
retired
From what I love read apparently the power wire isn’t very big and I’m not sure it will support a larger current if we upgraded the inverter.
That is unfortunate

snyce1

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
21' F150PB PLATINUM, 17'Escape, 15'expeditionEL
My truck is an XLT 302A, it does not have Pro Power buttons anywhere, so I assume it does not have Pro Power. The window sticker shows it has "Onboard 400w Outlet" and the it has an outlet in the bed with 400w, 120v with the light always on. This outlet really doesn't run much expect phones, and small stuff. It would not run a blow dryer or vacuum. Am I doing something wrong or is this just a standard plug like on the inside and worthless for actual power tools? Just trying to get to know the trucks capabilities.
400 watts is the issue. Look at rating of hair dryer or the equipment that you try to run . 400W is limited for things like electronics with lower demand

Sponsored

Fortech

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 F150 FX4
Does anyone have any suggestions for units to temporarily connect to the battery for short term use for larger draw items when camping?

Atlee

First Name
Erroll
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Power Boost, XLT 302A, 4x4, SCrew, 6.5' bed
Occupation
retired
You installed an RV fridge in your bed? I thought there were DOT laws about hauling operational propane in an open bed.
Sounds interesting though, send pics, would like to see that set up.
That's not a propane powered fridge. It's an AC/DC fridge. Strictly electric.

GFDF150

First Name
Jerry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 F-150 XLT Powerboost, ‘23 Escape ST-Line
Occupation
Marketing Manager
I also have a 2021 XLT 302A, does the power have to be on with the engine running to use the 110 outlet in the bed?

fordtruckman2003

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F-150 FX4 Lariat
I also have a 2021 XLT 302A, does the power have to be on with the engine running to use the 110 outlet in the bed?
Yep, inverter only runs when truck is running. Otherwise you'd kill the battery.

SALEEN961

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150 XLT 302A
Occupation
Automotive Technician
400W DC/AC INVERTER

The DC/ AC inverter converts 12 volts DC to 110 volts AC to power AC devices rated 400 watts or less with the vehicle in park, or 300 watts or less with the vehicle in drive.

The 110 volts AC created by the inverter measures differently than conventional, utility generated AC with some multi-meters. A true RMS voltmeter can be used to measure the appropriate voltage.

The inverter supplies 110 volts AC power when the engine is running. The DC/AC inverter automatically shuts off after 13 minutes if the ignition is on, but the vehicle has not started, in this stage the power is limited to 150W. The duration depends on the supported load. When the DC/AC inverter stops receiving information from the BCM over the LIN circuit indicating the vehicle has started, it begins counting the elapsed time. After 13 minutes the DC/AC inverter shuts down. The timer is reset and the inverter is powered back on by cycling the ignition from RUN to OFF and back to RUN but only for another 13 minutes. This prevents the 12-volt battery from being fully discharged. If the vehicle is started, the inverter operation is not time-limited.

The DC/ AC inverter has a self-protection feature for the following conditions:

NOTE: The DC/AC inverter will cease AC output if there is a fault on the LEDs in the outlet or if the LED is not detected as present.
  • Short circuits on the inverter output circuits: The inverter shuts down if it detects a short on the output circuit(s). After 6 seconds, it restarts and checks for a short condition. If the condition still exists, the inverter shuts down again. The inverter restarts 5 times and if the short still exists on the 5th restart, the inverter disables AC output and the amber LED indicator flashes.
  • Low voltage input: The inverter does not operate when the input voltage is less than 11 volts (excluding Start and Stop events).
  • High voltage input: The inverter does not operate when the input voltage is greater than 16 volts.
  • Load exceeds the maximum limit allowed while in Drive
  • Load exceeds 400 watts (engine running, in Park)
  • High temperature: The inverter does not operate if it has overheated or if ambient (cabin) temperatures exceed 75 C (167 F).

Sponsored

Unicorn

First Name
Marc
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 F-150 XLT HDPP
Occupation
Pilot
I own a F-150 with the 400W/100W inverter under the rear seat. I recharge my Yeti Goal Zero accumulator (from my camper) while in Park but did not dare to try it while driving. The service clerk at the dealer doesn’t know if it can safely be done. Is there someone knowledgeable who knows the answer? Please see attached image with the charger specs. Thanks.

Ford F-150 400w 120v Bed Outlet doesn't power much IMG_0822

fordtruckman2003

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F-150 FX4 Lariat
I own a F-150 with the 400W/100W inverter under the rear seat. I recharge my Yeti Goal Zero accumulator (from my camper) while in Park but did not dare to try it while driving. The service clerk at the dealer doesn’t know if it can safely be done. Is there someone knowledgeable who knows the answer? Please see attached image with the charger specs. Thanks.

IMG_0822.jpeg
3A should be fine.
Questionable using bed outlet because at least one person reported they can never shift out of park with something plugged in.

SomebodyInGNV

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'21 F150 4WD 301A 3.5L w/ HDPP
Occupation
retired
... at least one person reported they can never shift out of park with something plugged in.
That's an interesting interlock. I'm guessing they assume you might be plugged into something stationary outside the truck?

fordtruckman2003

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F-150 FX4 Lariat
That's an interesting interlock. I'm guessing they assume you might be plugged into something stationary outside the truck?
Update this year it is supposed to alert you when something plugged in and you can acknowledge and drive off. That person says they can't drive off at all. I think that is only one though with a bug in system. I've never tried to drive with using rear outlet but they added the notification because surely someone drove off dragging something and blamed Ford.