LetsbeFrank

First Name
Frank
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150 XLT
Here me out.

I have a 21 f150 w/ 2.7 EB that has a 400w inverter for the dash outlet, center console outlet, and bed outlet.

When I turn on the truck, if the ambient light sensor is covered and the lights are on, dark dash etc., the inverter works. This is true for day time as well, as long as the truck is started and it believes it’s dark outside, the inverter turn on.

As soon as I turn off the lights manually or uncover the sensor and the truck switches to day mode, the inverter turns off. At this point there is no turning it back on without turning the truck off and covering the sensor before restarting it.

This is affecting the outlets but not the USB power points.

Has anyone else dealt with this or anything close?
Sponsored

fordtruckman2003

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F-150 FX4 Lariat
Uh what?

aaexpert

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
22 f150 platinum
I just tested this and found I have the same problem! Works at dark times but once the sun is out the 110v power goes out.

Sponsored

OP
OP
LetsbeFrank

LetsbeFrank

First Name
Frank
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150 XLT
I just tested this and found I have the same problem! Works at dark times but once the sun is out the 110v power goes out.
Well, at least one person on this forum doesn’t think I’m a complete lunatic 😂

jeffcrum

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F-150 XLT 302A Powerboost 7.2kw Inverter
Occupation
Computer programmer
Y'all with your vampire trucks.

aaexpert

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
22 f150 platinum
Well, at least one person on this forum doesn’t think I’m a complete lunatic 😂
Im glad you figured out the scenario of when/why it works. Now I can do some testing and see how to correct it. Just curious, any chance you did the mod with swapping out the heater controls with the prior gen. that have the temp. displayed in them?

fordtruckman2003

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F-150 FX4 Lariat
This is kind of thing you would have to show the dealer people for them to believe you. I've used my inverter fine without covering any sensors. It will be off until truck is running.

It's supposed to have a resettable circuit so maybe something with that has gone wrong?

Have you made any changes with Forscan? I think there are some listed that are supposed to change behavior of the power points in truck.

OP
OP
LetsbeFrank

LetsbeFrank

First Name
Frank
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150 XLT
This is kind of thing you would have to show the dealer people for them to believe you. I've used my inverter fine without covering any sensors. It will be off until truck is running.

It's supposed to have a resettable circuit so maybe something with that has gone wrong?

Have you made any changes with Forscan? I think there are some listed that are supposed to change behavior of the power points in truck.
I haven’t done any forscan changes since I’m in the middle of an APIM disaster. I haven’t wanted to chance if not getting it’s first OTA ever. I know people have said it does not interfere but this OTA update issue has just been such a headache I can’t chance it.

My truck does have the heater controls with the temp read out in the knobs, but it came that way. I’ve seen several 21 XLTs that have them that way. Maybe I misunderstood exactly what you meant.

I’m curious about this resettable circuit though. There is clearly some kind of “I have drinking when I wired your truck” issues going on.

Sponsored

fordtruckman2003

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F-150 FX4 Lariat
I’m curious about this resettable circuit though. There is clearly some kind of “I have drinking when I wired your truck” issues going on.
🤣🤣

4:30PM Friday build here. Had assembly line tool inside front fender...

Have you done any modifications to the truck wiring?

I'm still thinking some random line in the BCM asbuilt data could be corrupted or just set wrong causing it to be crazy. These trucks are sometimes more computer than necessary.

OP
OP
LetsbeFrank

LetsbeFrank

First Name
Frank
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150 XLT
🤣🤣

4:30PM Friday build here. Had assembly line tool inside front fender...

Have you done any modifications to the truck wiring?

I'm still thinking some random line in the BCM asbuilt data could be corrupted or just set wrong causing it to be crazy. These trucks are sometimes more computer than necessary.
Without a doubt.

If you happened to know what Forscan codes change powering behaviors, let me know. I may plug in and poke around but I’m really searching blind at this point.

It puzzles me because I’d think if headlights etc. turn on it would trip off, but it’s the opposite.

fordtruckman2003

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F-150 FX4 Lariat
Jesse here probably would know what is supposed to be correct.

I know the big Excel file has lines to change the power on time.
Something there might be weird.

I'm really just totally guessing but it's either something in wiring or some unknown setting in the truck programming.

I'll try to see what lines when I'm on my laptop later and compare to my own asbuilt data. I have a Lariat but I would think all 400w inverter settings would be same.

Tennistim777

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 F150
Here me out.

I have a 21 f150 w/ 2.7 EB that has a 400w inverter for the dash outlet, center console outlet, and bed outlet.

When I turn on the truck, if the ambient light sensor is covered and the lights are on, dark dash etc., the inverter works. This is true for day time as well, as long as the truck is started and it believes it’s dark outside, the inverter turn on.

As soon as I turn off the lights manually or uncover the sensor and the truck switches to day mode, the inverter turns off. At this point there is no turning it back on without turning the truck off and covering the sensor before restarting it.

This is affecting the outlets but not the USB power points.

Has anyone else dealt with this or anything close?
Hello, all. Being this thread is still relatively new and active, has anyone come up with a resolution to this issue. My 2022 F150 is doing the exact same thing....even with NOTHING plugged into the outlets. If I cover the daylight sensor on the dash and start the truck, outlets will work perfectly at the dimmed dash light setting. Once I remove/uncover the daylight sensor, after a few seconds the dash lights, including the outlet yellow light brighten, causing the plugs to immediately trip, losing power until the next restart. I have a dealership appointment next week and would be nice to have a solution before I get there. Ty very much to all that reply!
Sponsored