23’ Powerboost stuck in “Full accessory power”

marekjk

First Name
Marek
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
23’ F150 Powerboost Lariat
The F150 Powerboost that I have had for the last two and a half months went nanners on me this morning. The truck has been solid up until this morning. It only has 2100 miles on it and I purchased it brand new.

As usual, I pile my litter of children into the truck, depress brake pedal and press the ignition button. Instead of the vehicle starting normally, it enters “Full Accessory Power”. I thought that maybe I did not depress the break pedal, so I shut everything off and repeat the sequence, only for the same thing to happen.

The car was stuck in “Full Accessory Power” mode for two hours no matter what I did.

As the truck would enter this “Full Accessory Power” mode, it would also tell me that I need to “Stop safely now”. Which didn’t make sense since I was not moving and the truck was off. I ended up turning off all sensors, driver assist, backup assist, etc, and repeating the ignition sequence... this did not work.

Car battery was fine. I also disconnected car battery from terminals for 10 minutes, this did not help.

Turned truck off, locked doors, and walked away for 10 min, did not help.
Tried remote start from FOB, did not work.

Tried to start from FordPass, did not work initially but this is how I got the truck started after two hours of tinkering. Before I did this I let it sit for 10-15 minutes as I was searching forums for a solution.

Has anyone encountered this before? Any input would be appreciated!!!!!
Sponsored

Last edited:

Snakebitten

First Name
Bruce
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 F150 KingRanch Powerboost
I know that it would be asking a lot for most folks, but I'm guessing that if you could get into Accessory mode that would be sufficient to power up an OBD adapter like the OBDLink MX+ adapter. (a specific brand/model)

That in turn would allow you to view multiple PIDs (values) in order to see if anything was temporarily in an unexpected state or condition.

You could also run a scan for current DTC's and possibly identify the module(s) that might be malfunctioning or prohibiting the truck to go into "Ready Mode"

It sounds all rather complicated, I realize, but it's not once you play with the adapter and the App that goes with it. A VERY powerful tool for an owner of one of these new very sophisticated trucks.

In my opinion there is an amazing number of parameters in play for one of these trucks to meet the minimum requirements to go into Ready mode. We can take it for granted when it does just that 100 times in a row. :)

OP
OP

marekjk

First Name
Marek
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
OP
OP

marekjk

First Name
Marek
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
I know that it would be asking a lot for most folks, but I'm guessing that if you could get into Accessory mode that would be sufficient to power up an OBD adapter like the OBDLink MX+ adapter. (a specific brand/model)

That in turn would allow you to view multiple PIDs (values) in order to see if anything was temporarily in an unexpected state or condition.

You could also run a scan for current DTC's and possibly identify the module(s) that might be malfunctioning or prohibiting the truck to go into "Ready Mode"

It sounds all rather complicated, I realize, but it's not once you play with the adapter and the App that goes with it. A VERY powerful tool for an owner of one of these new very sophisticated trucks.

In my opinion there is an amazing number of parameters in play for one of these trucks to meet the minimum requirements to go into Ready mode. We can take it for granted when it does just that 100 times in a row. :)
I have an OBDLink actually. I should have connected it and taken a look, but didn’t even think of it due to the three kids yelling at me and me being so late for work haha.

Sponsored

wrgrimes

First Name
Reid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 King Ranch standard; PowerBoost; 2WD; 7.2Kw
I don’t have an OBDLink
Please direct me
I also don’t have a Windows computer, but can buy one. Suggestions for specifications please.

Snakebitten

First Name
Bruce
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Completely understandable!
I have 4 little granddaughters that I often chauffeur. Although one of the biggest blessings in my life, THEIR terms often dominate the situation. 😉

By the way, I have on one occasion received the Stop Safely Now alert. I was only about a 1/4-1/2 mile into the jaunt away from the house. It was a bit alarming, as you now know.

I decided to turn around and try to make it back to the house rather than Stop Safely.
I glanced at the PIDs that I have on my OBDLink dashboard for anything unusual. What caught my attention was a Hybrid Battery SOC at ~33%

That's definitely below the boundary of the Hybrid Battery strategy. I had never seen it below the low 40's, and it's almost always predictable for the ICE to come on at around 43%SOC

Since the ICE was running, and it was 33% SOC by the time I noticed, I don't know what the SOC actually was to begin with.

I returned home and let the truck idle until the Hybrid Battery was well into it's normal range of operation. I shut the truck down and opened the door to trigger a complete shutdown.

Then restarted the truck and watched for anything out of the ordinary. Didn't see anything, so attempted to start the commute to the office again. All went well. And it's been several months and never experienced anything like it again.

Except I have experienced on random mornings a SOC of the Hybrid Battery being several % less than it was when I parked the previous afternoon. I have yet to figure out what it is that consumes the current at night.

wrgrimes

First Name
Reid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 King Ranch standard; PowerBoost; 2WD; 7.2Kw
OK
I found OBDLink MX+
works with iPhone/ iPad via BlueTooth
Is that what I need!
Will it actually turn off artificial sound (without FORScan)?

Snakebitten

First Name
Bruce
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
I don’t have an OBDLink
Please direct me
I also don’t have a Windows computer, but can buy one. Suggestions for specifications please.
You do not need a computer of any kind.

You can Google OBDLink MX+ and purchase either directly or from places like Amazon.
The + on the end of MX just means you get 1 free add-on for the app you install on your smartphone. The add-on that a Powerboost customer would choose is the Ford/Lincoln/Mercury library of PIDs. It's rather exhaustive and makes up the majority of the PIDs that I monitor on the Powerboost.

This is a screenshot of the 8 PIDs I monitor on the electrical side of things. (bottom half of the screen)

The value you see at 46.9% is the SOC of the Hybrid Battery. I would be very curious what it was for the fellas that experienced these seemingly one-time temporary issues.

The top half of the screenshot are more Ecoboost ICE Pids.

Ford F-150 23’ Powerboost stuck in “Full accessory power” Screenshot_20230423_120202

OP
OP

marekjk

First Name
Marek
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
You do not need a computer of any kind.

You can Google OBDLink MX+ and purchase either directly or from places like Amazon.
The + on the end of MX just means you get 1 free add-on for the app you install on your smartphone. The add-on that a Powerboost customer would choose is the Ford/Lincoln/Mercury library of PIDs. It's rather exhaustive and makes up the majority of the PIDs that I monitor on the Powerboost.

This is a screenshot of the 8 PIDs I monitor on the electrical side of things. (bottom half of the screen)

The value you see at 46.9% is the SOC of the Hybrid Battery. I would be very curious what it was for the fellas that experienced these seemingly one-time temporary issues.

The top half of the screenshot are more Ecoboost ICE Pids.

Screenshot_20230423_120202.jpg
Very interesting! I will check the charge when I get home this evening. I am curious!

Sponsored

travisN000

First Name
Travis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150 Powerboost CCSB
Last edited:

Ford Motor Company

Official Ford Account
First Name
Ford
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F-150
The F150 Powerboost that I have had for the last two and a half months went nanners on me this morning. The truck has been solid up until this morning. It only has 2100 miles on it and I purchased it brand new.

As usual, I pile my litter of children into the truck, depress brake pedal and press the ignition button. Instead of the vehicle starting normally, it enters “Full Accessory Power”. I thought that maybe I did not depress the break pedal, so I shut everything off and repeat the sequence, only for the same thing to happen.

The car was stuck in “Full Accessory Power” mode for two hours no matter what I did.

As the truck would enter this “Full Accessory Power” mode, it would also tell me that I need to “Stop safely now”. Which didn’t make sense since I was not moving and the truck was off. I ended up turning off all sensors, driver assist, backup assist, etc, and repeating the ignition sequence... this did not work.

Car battery was fine. I also disconnected car battery from terminals for 10 minutes, this did not help.

Turned truck off, locked doors, and walked away for 10 min, did not help.
Tried remote start from FOB, did not work.

Tried to start from FordPass, did not work initially but this is how I got the truck started after two hours of tinkering. Before I did this I let it sit for 10-15 minutes as I was searching forums for a solution.

Has anyone encountered this before? Any input would be appreciated!!!!!
Hi there. This Full Accessory Mode concern doesn’t sound like something we want you to experience with your F-150. Could you please send us a PM with your VIN and the name and location of your Ford dealer? I'd be happy to look into how I can assist you on my end.

OP
OP

marekjk

First Name
Marek
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Hi there. This Full Accessory Mode concern doesn’t sound like something we want you to experience with your F-150. Could you please send us a PM with your VIN and the name and location of your Ford dealer? I'd be happy to look into how I can assist you on my end.
Done! Thank you!

Jus Cruisin

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 GMC Sierra Denali Ultimate 4X4 - 6.2l
Occupation
Very retired
Similar to my experience about 2 years ago. The stupid truck would "fix" itself sometimes within an hour sometimes a couple hours. Every time after starting I would have the check engine light on for a few starts after. This happened 4 or 5 times and once it got to the dealer they couldn't find any codes. Finally it wouldn't start (flashing warnings and no "ready"). That was in the late afternoon and it still wouldn't start the next morning. Getting the truck pulled out of the garage is a major pain with the emergency brake. Finally the entire drive unit was replaced as a best guess to repair it. Never was comfortable with the truck after and it would have been gone much faster but zero stock forced me to keep it longer. This was the day it was hauled in. 5 months after the first stranding.
Ford F-150 23’ Powerboost stuck in “Full accessory power” 20211008_115003

OP
OP

marekjk

First Name
Marek
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Similar to my experience about 2 years ago. The stupid truck would "fix" itself sometimes within an hour sometimes a couple hours. Every time after starting I would have the check engine light on for a few starts after. This happened 4 or 5 times and once it got to the dealer they couldn't find any codes. Finally it wouldn't start (flashing warnings and no "ready"). That was in the late afternoon and it still wouldn't start the next morning. Getting the truck pulled out of the garage is a major pain with the emergency brake. Finally the entire drive unit was replaced as a best guess to repair it. Never was comfortable with the truck after and it would have been gone much faster but zero stock forced me to keep it longer. This was the day it was hauled in. 5 months after the first stranding.
20211008_115003.jpg
Oh my. Did you ever figure out what the issue was?

”This was the day it was hauled in, 5 months after the first stranding”. Made me LOL.

I am hoping my issue is a one off fluke. I am about to leave work and drive home….. we shall see if it starts.
Sponsored