First Name
Dylan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F-150 3.5 Ecoboost
Occupation
Photographer/Filmmaker
I have the smartcap too and love it. I’ve been thinking about adding another leaf in the back to help with weight (smartcap + gear). You added a leaf, right? Have you done anything else in the back? How does it feel with the smartcap?
With the cap, and a drawer, shovel and a water jug in it full time, it drives great. Haven't tested it out properly w/ the RTT. I'll let you know though. I have the fox 2.5 shocks back there too, so that helps out.

OP
OP
DHBPhoto

DHBPhoto

First Name
Dylan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F-150 3.5 Ecoboost
Occupation
Photographer/Filmmaker
Hey friends, it's time for an update:

I've been rocking the SmartCap for some time now, and well, I have mixed feelings about it. Locks freeze in the winter (but SmartCap USA we're quick to send covers and that has eliminated the issue), and the air vent in the roof leaks everytime I go through an automatic car wash. The build is stout, the seals are solid and I love the batwing doors. Overall, happy and it is stout for my RTT (which I have since sold due a growing family).

Ford F-150 '21 Space White XLT – Built for thrashing DylanHBrown_FallColors-02297

Ford F-150 '21 Space White XLT – Built for thrashing DylanHBrown_FallColors-02250

Last fall, during an early morning hunt, I dropped my front wheel into a blind ditch while parking. I honestly don't know how I didn't roll, as it was a solid 3' deep. I ended up getting high centered on my passenger door, pushing the door up, and gauging a big gash on the underside. I had been waffling about sliders for some time, and this was the push I needed. I immediately ordered Rocky Road Rock sliders.

The damage:
Ford F-150 '21 Space White XLT – Built for thrashing PXL_20221029_193547939

Ford F-150 '21 Space White XLT – Built for thrashing PXL_20221029_193542121

The sliders:
Ford F-150 '21 Space White XLT – Built for thrashing PXL_20230316_223951440
Ford F-150 '21 Space White XLT – Built for thrashing PXL_20230316_223943852
Ford F-150 '21 Space White XLT – Built for thrashing PXL_20230316_224023145
Ford F-150 '21 Space White XLT – Built for thrashing PXL_20230316_224029210

First impressions, rock solid. They're also low profile, while being wide enough to use as a step. Finish is top notch. And what I love is I don't look like a wannabe Raptor. Mounting was easy — 9 bolts on the body (which time will tell is a good design or not. Rocky Road have been designing sliders and protection for years, so trust them on this front. But the F150 is heavy, so mounting to body seems a bit wearisome, not gonna lie.).

Cheers!

WhiteLightningnshitshadow

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2004 F150 4.6 SCAB 6.5 and 2022 2.7 SCREW 5.5
Occupation
Lead Engineer
Hey friends, it's time for an update:

I've been rocking the SmartCap for some time now, and well, I have mixed feelings about it. Locks freeze in the winter (but SmartCap USA we're quick to send covers and that has eliminated the issue), and the air vent in the roof leaks everytime I go through an automatic car wash. The build is stout, the seals are solid and I love the batwing doors. Overall, happy and it is stout for my RTT (which I have since sold due a growing family).

DylanHBrown_FallColors-02297.jpg

DylanHBrown_FallColors-02250.jpg

Last fall, during an early morning hunt, I dropped my front wheel into a blind ditch while parking. I honestly don't know how I didn't roll, as it was a solid 3' deep. I ended up getting high centered on my passenger door, pushing the door up, and gauging a big gash on the underside. I had been waffling about sliders for some time, and this was the push I needed. I immediately ordered Rocky Road Rock sliders.

The damage:
PXL_20221029_193547939.jpg

PXL_20221029_193542121.jpg

The sliders:
PXL_20230316_223951440.jpg
PXL_20230316_223943852.jpg
PXL_20230316_224023145.jpg
PXL_20230316_224029210.jpg

First impressions, rock solid. They're also low profile, while being wide enough to use as a step. Finish is top notch. And what I love is I don't look like a wannabe Raptor. Mounting was easy — 9 bolts on the body (which time will tell is a good design or not. Rocky Road have been designing sliders and protection for years, so trust them on this front. But the F150 is heavy, so mounting to body seems a bit wearisome, not gonna lie.).

Cheers!
Man I really like those. I just took delivery of a 22 XLT space White fx4 and you're giving me some unfortunate inspiration in Parker Colorado. I didn't beat on my old f150 near as bad as you do and don't plan on getting the new one all scraped up too bad, but you've got me thinking. About the max I could swing with the old 2wd 04 was that trail around the great sand dunes. Not even sure where this new truck might be able to take me camping. Thanks for the posts/pics/updates.

people-call-me-chris

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F-150 Lariat SCrew 4x4 short bed
The SmartCap sport for a 21 F-150 ends up being $5k for me from offroad alliance (incl. shipping and taxes). Having a really hard time pulling the trigger for this much money - but all caps seem to be expensive these days. Thoughts on whether you think it's worth this kind of money? I think an ARE CX with additional features is in the lower $4k range.

Sponsored

OP
OP
DHBPhoto

DHBPhoto

First Name
Dylan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F-150 3.5 Ecoboost
Occupation
Photographer/Filmmaker
The SmartCap sport for a 21 F-150 ends up being $5k for me from offroad alliance (incl. shipping and taxes). Having a really hard time pulling the trigger for this much money - but all caps seem to be expensive these days. Thoughts on whether you think it's worth this kind of money? I think an ARE CX with additional features is in the lower $4k range.
Hey man, in full transparency, I don't think the SmartCap is worth the money. There are some really cool features that I like a lot (the reverse air pressure) and the the full, side hatch doors. If you live in the cold, where it freezes (rain or snow), the locks freeze, unless you install the covers, which then becomes an added step to open everything up. The air pressure opening in the roof also leaks when you go through a car wash.

If you're going to add in the kitchen setup, the table slide, etc. this is a cool cap.

If I were to buy new, I would just go w/ the ARE CX, and color match.

people-call-me-chris

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
great feedback thanks - I did see the previous comments but was wondering if time has changed your opinion for better or worse. I'm in Arizona but for $5k this thing shouldn't have issues like that... so yeah I think I'm gonna go another route like an ARE or something.

people-call-me-chris

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Not that anyone cares or asked but …I just got a quote for an ARE Z2 and a LEER XQ (both with dual l.e.d. interior lights, roof rack tracks, keyless entry). $5k installed incl. taxes. I had no idea how pricey fiberglass canopies have gotten. Guess I wont be buying anything.

OP
OP
DHBPhoto

DHBPhoto

First Name
Dylan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F-150 3.5 Ecoboost
Occupation
Photographer/Filmmaker
Hey-hey...

It's been a while since I updated this thread, and I have some serious updates:

- Installed a Four Wheel Camper Project-M
- Upgraded rear leaf pack w/ two extra leafs, and reshaped OEM 2nd – this also allowed me to remove the OEM 1" block
- Replaced the 18" Fuel Shok wheels w/ '23 Ford Raptor wheels (17") – went from 275/70r18 to 285/75r17 tires

Ford F-150 '21 Space White XLT – Built for thrashing DylanHBrown-F150-01755

--- The deets and Why --

The Project Camper-M is a pretty amazing happy medium between a slide-in camper, a rooftop tent and a shell. For those of you that don't know, it comes w/ a king size bed, sits on the bed rails and leaves the truck bed to be a truck bed. It weighs roughly 400 lbs w/ no ad-ons. With my build out (an aluminum drawer, some camping stuff, and a HUGE battery bank to charge my electric motorcycles), I probably sit at 700lb as my everyday driver. Add 5 gallons of water, a motorcycle tray rack and my electric motorcycle, I'm probably close to 1100 lbs all loaded up. Hence upgrading the rear spring pack. I now sit about .5" higher in the rear fully loaded and 1.75" empty (as my daily).

Ford F-150 '21 Space White XLT – Built for thrashing DylanHBrown-F150-01749

Ford F-150 '21 Space White XLT – Built for thrashing DylanHBrown-F150-01758

The wheels were somewhat impulsive, somewhat desired. I knew I wanted to go positive offset from my 0+ offset and was really looking at Method 705s in +20, but I couldn't justify spending $1400, plus fresh rubber. I was waiting for a bonus (or in my case to sell my latest documentary) before splurging. BUT, I found 5 brand new Raptor takeoffs for $600. Hard to pass that one up. I wrapped them in 285/75r17 rubber (about 3/4" bigger than my 275/70r18s) and they now sit perfectly flush with the truck w/ just a touch of poke. I no longer have to stress about spraying down my truck with grit and mag -chloride all winter long. The downside, it looks a little less aggressive.

Ford F-150 '21 Space White XLT – Built for thrashing DylanHBrown-F150-01762

Ford F-150 '21 Space White XLT – Built for thrashing DylanHBrown-F150-01753

I chose to try out Nokian Outpost AT tires mainly because they weight nearly 8-12 lbs less per wheel than any other AT tire, and have been claimed to be VERY good in the snow (I'd hope so, considering they are a Scandinavian brand). I had Toyo AT3s before, and the first 20k miles those tires were awesome, the 2nd 20k miles, not so much. And don't let anyone tell you otherwise, they SUCK in the snow/ice. I mean horrible.

Ford F-150 '21 Space White XLT – Built for thrashing DylanHBrown-F150-01763

Ford F-150 '21 Space White XLT – Built for thrashing DylanHBrown-F150-01760

--- The future and where I'm headed ---

The plan is to build out the bed of the truck a bit. Buy some Ikea cabinets and line one wall. The other wall, I'd like to put in a low-profile RV couch. My hope is to keep most of the floor of the truck bed open for schlepping gear and tools. And really, that's it. Keep changing my oil, do the diffs soon and replace that damn leaky back Fox 2.5 at some point. I'm very happy with the truck and what all I can do with it!

See you guys out there!
- Dylan

Sponsored

OP
OP
DHBPhoto

DHBPhoto

First Name
Dylan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F-150 3.5 Ecoboost
Occupation
Photographer/Filmmaker
Thanks for sharing. Looks awesome. Those wheels are epic - now you have me browsing ebay.
Thanks man!! I'm jazzed. The wheels do look cool. They're a little more exposed than the 0+ Shoks, so trail rash will definitely be more of an issue. But I'm stoked overall. Now I just have to find another thing to occupy my attention while the wife watches her trashy reality TV... hehe.

tony72cutlass's'

First Name
Tony
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
1972 Cutlass, '21 F-150 XLT SCAB
man buddy those wheels are really sharp, i have been looking for something to upgrade my carbonized grey supercab and these i think are perfect.

i may have missed it but did you do a front level? the size i am targeting is 285-70-17

OP
OP
DHBPhoto

DHBPhoto

First Name
Dylan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F-150 3.5 Ecoboost
Occupation
Photographer/Filmmaker
man buddy those wheels are really sharp, i have been looking for something to upgrade my carbonized grey supercab and these i think are perfect.

i may have missed it but did you do a front level? the size i am targeting is 285-70-17
yes, I’m rocking the fox 2.5 level. It’s for the gen13. It fits, but honestly, the rebound was VERY fast for this era truck, so I had them revalved (technically, just removed some rebound shims). Rides great now. the rear is a custom pack, designed for the added weight of the camper and electric motorcycle I lug around. it’s about 1.5” higher than the front, fully empty. I also had them remove the block, so more travel.

tires are 285/75r17 — I rub a touch on the inside fender liner at full lock. Could cut it back or have a shop adjust the alignment a bit, but it’s so minor I haven’t done either. Will prob cut when I find the motivation.

tony72cutlass's'

First Name
Tony
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
1972 Cutlass, '21 F-150 XLT SCAB
yes, I’m rocking the fox 2.5 level. It’s for the gen13. It fits, but honestly, the rebound was VERY fast for this era truck, so I had them revalved (technically, just removed some rebound shims). Rides great now. the rear is a custom pack, designed for the added weight of the camper and electric motorcycle I lug around. it’s about 1.5” higher than the front, fully empty. I also had them remove the block, so more travel.

tires are 285/75r17 — I rub a touch on the inside fender liner at full lock. Could cut it back or have a shop adjust the alignment a bit, but it’s so minor I haven’t done either. Will prob cut when I find the motivation.
your setup looks unreal man great job!

i'm strongly considering a set of raptor wheel takeoffs on ebay and wearing out my current factory 17" tires and then upgrading with a level so i can fit larger wheels like you
Sponsored