'21 Space White XLT – Built for thrashing

Franger

First Name
Ben
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2014 Ford F-150
Great thread and informative. I’ll be following for updates. I use my truck for almost the exact same purposes and in many of the same locations as yourself. I’m so happy to see that true 34” tires are a no go for actual off road use with a Fox coilover level. Thanks for your honesty there. I think lots of owners get wrapped up in tire size, for what it’s worth. It helps make my decision easier once I start modding the truck.

Personally, I’ll probably go with a LT285/70/17, for the slightly squishier sidewall and extra comfort on those rocky two tracks in September in the high country.

By the by, Fox is saying that their 21 and newer F150 specific gear will be significantly different from the previous generation. Did you have any fitment issues with your 2.5s?
Sponsored

OP
OP
DHBPhoto

DHBPhoto

First Name
Dylan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F-150 3.5 Ecoboost
Occupation
Photographer/Filmmaker
Great thread and informative. I’ll be following for updates. I use my truck for almost the exact same purposes and in many of the same locations as yourself. I’m so happy to see that true 34” tires are a no go for actual off road use with a Fox coilover level. Thanks for your honesty there. I think lots of owners get wrapped up in tire size, for what it’s worth. It helps make my decision easier once I start modding the truck.

Personally, I’ll probably go with a LT285/70/17, for the slightly squishier sidewall and extra comfort on those rocky two tracks in September in the high country.

By the by, Fox is saying that their 21 and newer F150 specific gear will be significantly different from the previous generation. Did you have any fitment issues with your 2.5s?
For off-road use, I agree 17s are a better option, but that extra rubber takes away from the onroad performance. Also, if you have the tow package, I heard 17s won't fit around the rear brakes. My 18s are fine off-road at 22 or less. Washboards 22, rock crawling 18. Happy as can be.

The Fox 2.5s have been good overall. I found they had to break in a bit. Small bumps are more noticeable over stock (but that could be the lt tires). I have found the front coil overs topout easily -- especially when hit speed bumps or similar. I might have another shop check out the preload (the shop that installed was questionable). Overall, no fitment issues, but I heard the powerboost might be a different beast.

Watch your offset. My wheels were not supposed to be as offset as they are. Gen 14 axles are wider than gen 13.

Looking forward to seeing your build. Where do you live? I'm in Carbondale.

HCFX

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 F-150 Lariat BAP
Nice little build. These trucks take a beating. Mine saw 3+ years of abuse in 7 months and never skipped a beat. I don't slow down for gravel or washboard in any vehicle I own and it pulled 30ft and 8500lbs down trails that would be a fun little challenge in a Jeep :LOL:

Tizzzo

First Name
Ed
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Lead Foot Gray XLT 5.0 Supercrew 4x4
Occupation
Veteran

34 tires will work fine for off road use it all depends on your wheel offset. If you go with wider aftermarket wheels with more aggressive offset than stock (more poke) then yes you'll start rubbing on smaller tires than you would if you have the stock wheels. You can fit 295/70/18 on stock wheels and they clear fine even without a level (there's a member here who tried it already). I leveled my truck and put some 295/70/18 ridge grapplers and took it off roading and it performed like a champ, never rubbed anywhere even on full articulation and I never hit anything underneath either since the level and 34 tires gave it a lot more ground clearance.
This is picture of my truck with the 295/70/18s (34.3 diameter) as well as the clearances at full lock on both front and rear crash bars.
Ford F-150 '21 Space White XLT – Built for thrashing 125266E2-B6FE-44CF-98B1-835750EF66B0
Ford F-150 '21 Space White XLT – Built for thrashing 2E9E3183-B804-4ED7-AC39-5487A1335FB0
Ford F-150 '21 Space White XLT – Built for thrashing FD4BB594-09A4-44E9-8A8C-132A5DA14DDD

Last edited:

Sponsored

Tizzzo

First Name
Ed
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Veteran
OP beautiful truck! Love the end result ?

OP
OP
DHBPhoto

DHBPhoto

First Name
Dylan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F-150 3.5 Ecoboost
Occupation
Photographer/Filmmaker
34 tires will work fine for off road use it all depends on your wheel offset. If you go with wider aftermarket wheels with more aggressive offset than stock (more poke) then yes you'll start rubbing on smaller tires than you would if you have the stock wheels. You can fit 295/70/18 on stock wheels and they clear fine even without a level (there's a member here who tried it already). I leveled my truck and put some 295/70/18 ridge grapplers and took it off roading and it performed like a champ, never rubbed anywhere even on full articulation and I never hit anything underneath either since the level and 34 tires gave it a lot more ground clearance.
Yes, I've heard this too. The dealership that helped me out was kind of clueless, and at this moment I have to slow my aftermarket spending. Next round of tires I might go back to stock offset, or aftermarket bumper / pull the crash bar. But as of now, I'm very happy with the setup. And have not felt limited in any way.

Tizzzo

First Name
Ed
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Veteran
Yes, I've heard this too. The dealership that helped me out was kind of clueless, and at this moment I have to slow my aftermarket spending. Next round of tires I might go back to stock offset, or aftermarket bumper / pull the crash bar. But as of now, I'm very happy with the setup. And have not felt limited in any way.
I love your set up looks awesome! ? Honestly these truck are pretty impressive even stock so adding any increase in tire size gives it a huge advantage. I had the same issue as you with my dealership, they were unsure of what would fit and were certain the 295/70/18 wouldn't fit even with a level. Then I started seeing a lot of members here on the "stock wheel aftermarket tire thread" start to run that size and I fell in love. Finally got them installed and even the dealership was surprised they fit. I actually sold that set and now I'm rocking raptor 17 inch take offs with 315/70/17 and they feel even better off road. 17 inch wheels will work as long as you don't have the max tow package, having the regular tow package is fine just not max tow because that package adds bigger rear brakes.

Franger

First Name
Ben
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2014 Ford F-150
For off-road use, I agree 17s are a better option, but that extra rubber takes away from the onroad performance. Also, if you have the tow package, I heard 17s won't fit around the rear brakes. My 18s are fine off-road at 22 or less. Washboards 22, rock crawling 18. Happy as can be.

The Fox 2.5s have been good overall. I found they had to break in a bit. Small bumps are more noticeable over stock (but that could be the lt tires). I have found the front coil overs topout easily -- especially when hit speed bumps or similar. I might have another shop check out the preload (the shop that installed was questionable). Overall, no fitment issues, but I heard the powerboost might be a different beast.

Watch your offset. My wheels were not supposed to be as offset as they are. Gen 14 axles are wider than gen 13.

Looking forward to seeing your build. Where do you live? I'm in Carbondale.
I‘m over on the Front Range, hence the screen name. 1/2 Ton trucks with slightly modded/upgraded off road ability are so functional here in CO for the bike/ski/elk crowd. Thats why your build has my interest piqued.

I hadn’t heard that about the Gen 14 axles. I was looking at Icon Rebound Pro’s; they come in +6mm offset, which is a bit lower than I want to go. Staying around +10 to +20mm was preferable for clearance of the UCA without getting too “pokey”.

Re: the coilover, my limited experience would indicate that perhaps your shop installed them a bit too high on the preload. My undestanding is that Fox ships them (and the 2.0’s as well) maxed out at 2 inches. Most high end shops recommend installing them at 1.5-1.75 to preclude just the issue you‘re dealing with. Grain of salt, I’m not an expert.

Hearing what Tizzo had to say about keeping stock offset and running 34’s is certainly informative. I actually like the 500A stock wheels quite a bit more than the other stock wheel options. That said, I hadn’t really considered going above low to mid 33’s. I do have questions about stability and cornering on I70 and mountains highways When going nearly 2inches higher in diameter (all rubber by the way) with no increase in track.

Tizzzo

First Name
Ed
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Veteran
I‘m over on the Front Range, hence the screen name. 1/2 Ton trucks with slightly modded/upgraded off road ability are so functional here in CO for the bike/ski/elk crowd. Thats why your build has my interest piqued.

I hadn’t heard that about the Gen 14 axles. I was looking at Icon Rebound Pro’s; they come in +6mm offset, which is a bit lower than I want to go. Staying around +10 to +20mm was preferable for clearance of the UCA without getting too “pokey”.

Re: the coilover, my limited experience would indicate that perhaps your shop installed them a bit too high on the preload. My undestanding is that Fox ships them (and the 2.0’s as well) maxed out at 2 inches. Most high end shops recommend installing them at 1.5-1.75 to preclude just the issue you‘re dealing with. Grain of salt, I’m not an expert.

Hearing what Tizzo had to say about keeping stock offset and running 34’s is certainly informative. I actually like the 500A stock wheels quite a bit more than the other stock wheel options. That said, I hadn’t really considered going above low to mid 33’s. I do have questions about stability and cornering on I70 and mountains highways When going nearly 2inches higher in diameter (all rubber by the way) with no increase in track.
Those 500A stock wheels do look nice! Kind of has a machined finish raptor/tremor wheel style.

Sponsored

Franger

First Name
Ben
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2014 Ford F-150
Those 500A stock wheels do look nice! Kind of has a machined finish raptor/tremor wheel style.
I know you already wrote about the 34s above. Mind going into some more detail about on and off road handling, clearance issues (I know you said they’re good to go on stick wheels), mpg, and any other assorted things you want to add? Perhaps things you wish you’d known before going to those tires? Your posts have me seriously reconsidering getting aftermarket wheels. All I care about is function, clearance, performance. Thanks.

Tizzzo

First Name
Ed
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Veteran
I know you already wrote about the 34s above. Mind going into some more detail about on and off road handling, clearance issues (I know you said they’re good to go on stick wheels), mpg, and any other assorted things you want to add? Perhaps things you wish you’d known before going to those tires? Your posts have me seriously reconsidering getting aftermarket wheels. All I care about is function, clearance, performance. Thanks.
Sure, ill share my experience but it may be slightly different because I went with the Bilstein 5100 leveled shock and strut kit with different height settings. I personally did not like the floaty feeling on the stock suspension(non fx4) and wanted to do a budget set up for now and upgrade in like 2 years after the new 21 specific coil over kits came out and I get to read through some real world reviews. At first I contemplated on doing a spacer level kit but then decided against it because it would do nothing for eliminating the floaty feel of the stock suspension. So I went with the Bilstein 5100s, got them from Stage3motorsports for $389 for all 4. Had them installed at the highest 2.1 inch setting which actually gave me about 2.6 inches of lift and left it perfectly level. It felt AMAZING on the stock wheels and tires. It felt firm and controlled but still plush and comfortable, this is probably because I still had the stock SL rated passenger tires (Goodyear wrangler). Once I added the Nitto ridge grapplers (E rated) it stiffened up quite a bit, I can feel the road a lot more but still felt very controlled. Off road it felt good but was slightly too firm for my liking but I knew they were new and would break in and soften up. As far as clearance goes off road I had so much clearance it made me super confident, ground clearance was excellent and I didn't rub anywhere even at full articulation and full turning lock. There was some spots that look hard to get too because of dips and holes and it handled it without any issues with no scrapes underneath at all. A few off road trips and like 3k miles later and the suspension broke in very nicely and softened up a bit and felt great. Then I saw some raptor take offs for sale at a good price and since I don't have the max tow package impeding me from running 17s I pulled the trigger. I am beyond happy with the ride now, the extra side wall really made a difference and I feel I have the perfect balance of firm, controlled, and plush and comfortable ride. In hindsight like the OP mentioned, I would not have gone with the highest setting on the struts. I used a 15-20 kit just like other people but since the geometry is different, you will get more lift than advertised. Roush recommends the fox coil overs to be adjusted down 5/8 to get a true accurate lift so knowing that now I would have gone down a notch or two just to be able to keep some rake and better visibility of the road. Apart from that I love the leveled stance, ground clearance, controlled and comfortable ride of my set up. I feel like I can take on anything off road and gives a lot of confidence. MPGs will take a hit for sure but its not bad at all at least for me. Stock I was able to hit 21 mpgs (5.0L) on a 300 mile road trip with a small off road session in between and now on that same trip I hit 18.9 mpg. City went down from approximately high 17-low 18mpgs to about 15mpgs now. Also hard to tell how accurate the mpg gauge is now since it was never adjusted for the bigger tire size and I am actually traveling father than it thinks I am because of the larger diameter.

OP
OP
DHBPhoto

DHBPhoto

First Name
Dylan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F-150 3.5 Ecoboost
Occupation
Photographer/Filmmaker
Man, you guys are all making me want to spend some money on new wheels!!

But, I just don't think I can quite justify it. As of now, Im very happy with the build:
- the tire size feels just right - responsive, yet tall enough to get me through some crap. Light enough the acceleration didn't take a hit.
- The wheels are offset just enough to make the truck feel even more stable, while not completely destroying the side of my rig w/ debris. It also looks dope. And in my opinion provides a little added protection off road (they're the first thing to take a hit, not the quarter panels)
- I'm still able to fit mud flaps with the size and offset

But truth be told, when it comes time to buy new tires, I might go to +20 and a true 34, or stick w/ a 33 as is. I'll also keep an eye out for decent looking fender flares (Anyone see my Xenon post??).

I feel I can go forever on this truck -- but to this point (10k miles in), it hasn't failed me or made me wish I had done anything different. And I'd say that is worth a ton!!

My latest adventure w/ the wife (fresh snow, deep into bc w/ no one around and no previous tracks). The truck is sitting right around the bend behind her.
Ford F-150 '21 Space White XLT – Built for thrashing PXL_20211216_191441283

Last edited:

pavementends

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'21 302A SuperCab 3.5EB, Lots of dirt bikes
Occupation
Enginerd
Sure, ill share my experience but it may be slightly different because I went with the Bilstein 5100 leveled shock and strut kit with different height settings. I personally did not like the floaty feeling on the stock suspension(non fx4) and wanted to do a budget set up for now and upgrade in like 2 years after the new 21 specific coil over kits came out and I get to read through some real world reviews. At first I contemplated on doing a spacer level kit but then decided against it because it would do nothing for eliminating the floaty feel of the stock suspension. So I went with the Bilstein 5100s, got them from Stage3motorsports for $389 for all 4. Had them installed at the highest 2.1 inch setting which actually gave me about 2.6 inches of lift and left it perfectly level. It felt AMAZING on the stock wheels and tires. It felt firm and controlled but still plush and comfortable, this is probably because I still had the stock SL rated passenger tires (Goodyear wrangler). Once I added the Nitto ridge grapplers (E rated) it stiffened up quite a bit, I can feel the road a lot more but still felt very controlled. Off road it felt good but was slightly too firm for my liking but I knew they were new and would break in and soften up. As far as clearance goes off road I had so much clearance it made me super confident, ground clearance was excellent and I didn't rub anywhere even at full articulation and full turning lock. There was some spots that look hard to get too because of dips and holes and it handled it without any issues with no scrapes underneath at all. A few off road trips and like 3k miles later and the suspension broke in very nicely and softened up a bit and felt great. Then I saw some raptor take offs for sale at a good price and since I don't have the max tow package impeding me from running 17s I pulled the trigger. I am beyond happy with the ride now, the extra side wall really made a difference and I feel I have the perfect balance of firm, controlled, and plush and comfortable ride. In hindsight like the OP mentioned, I would not have gone with the highest setting on the struts. I used a 15-20 kit just like other people but since the geometry is different, you will get more lift than advertised. Roush recommends the fox coil overs to be adjusted down 5/8 to get a true accurate lift so knowing that now I would have gone down a notch or two just to be able to keep some rake and better visibility of the road. Apart from that I love the leveled stance, ground clearance, controlled and comfortable ride of my set up. I feel like I can take on anything off road and gives a lot of confidence. MPGs will take a hit for sure but its not bad at all at least for me. Stock I was able to hit 21 mpgs (5.0L) on a 300 mile road trip with a small off road session in between and now on that same trip I hit 18.9 mpg. City went down from approximately high 17-low 18mpgs to about 15mpgs now. Also hard to tell how accurate the mpg gauge is now since it was never adjusted for the bigger tire size and I am actually traveling father than it thinks I am because of the larger diameter.
This is super helpful and this is my first post as a brand new Gen14 owner. I bought a white XLT 302A Sport on Sunday (first new vehicle!) and am looking at leveling options. The truck is in the shop as I type this having 17" Raptor wheels with 33s swapped from my old F-150 to my new truck. I also don't like the "floaty" big old Cadillac ride of the truck and want to stiffen it up a bit. Exact same boat as you wanting to wait for Fox (and others) to catch up with the Gen14 suspension changes before going big $ on upgrades, so the Bilstein 5100s on all four corners sound like a good option right now. I will have the shop install the front at the 2nd from highest setting to maintain a little rake so when I connect my little 3k lb trailer it should level it perfectly. Does this sound right to you? Thanks

Tizzzo

First Name
Ed
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Veteran
This is super helpful and this is my first post as a brand new Gen14 owner. I bought a white XLT 302A Sport on Sunday (first new vehicle!) and am looking at leveling options. The truck is in the shop as I type this having 17" Raptor wheels with 33s swapped from my old F-150 to my new truck. I also don't like the "floaty" big old Cadillac ride of the truck and want to stiffen it up a bit. Exact same boat as you wanting to wait for Fox (and others) to catch up with the Gen14 suspension changes before going big $ on upgrades, so the Bilstein 5100s on all four corners sound like a good option right now. I will have the shop install the front at the 2nd from highest setting to maintain a little rake so when I connect my little 3k lb trailer it should level it perfectly. Does this sound right to you? Thanks
Awesome, congrats on the new truck! And yes that sounds like the perfect set up, the 2nd notch should leave a little bit of rake left over. For me, doing it on the highest setting gave me a perfect level with no rake left. I think it also depends if you have the fx4 or not because I know the fx4 has slightly more rake than a non fx4 (I have a non fx4 regular 4x4 sport 302A).
Here are some pictures to compare my buddies 2 inch spacer FX4 truck vs mine with the bilstein 5100 at the highest 2.1 inch setting non fx4. Other than the FX4 we have identical trucks. I have adjusted the pictures as best as I can to have the wheels perfectly level to the ground for an accurate comparison.
Buddies truck
Ford F-150 '21 Space White XLT – Built for thrashing E94292D1-8123-4BBC-913D-54C7A7DD7FFF

My truck
Ford F-150 '21 Space White XLT – Built for thrashing 0AD35E6A-2AF8-4463-8E8C-4F5E45CA4B6D

and here are some current pictures now a few months later after the suspension fully broke in and settled
Ford F-150 '21 Space White XLT – Built for thrashing 69724965-80C6-465D-8AE1-4AB3180A0AFD
Ford F-150 '21 Space White XLT – Built for thrashing 31AE5E21-4EBA-4916-B248-ECD537747EB8

and a loaded bed approximately 1,400-1700lbs
Ford F-150 '21 Space White XLT – Built for thrashing C66F5460-6CC7-48D6-B752-D6E204F1E99C

hope this helps! Show us some pictures when she’s done getting the suspension installed (y)
Sponsored