2023 F150 Lariat 5.0

Vulnox

First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F-150 Lariat 502A, 3.5L PowerBoost
One thing to keep in mind as it was proven in the dyno on the last gen, Ford may be handicapping the launch torque still. In the last gen, basically all the engines had the same time at the 60' mark on a drag race, but the higher power engines eventually pulled ahead down the line, and they were trying to figure out why. On the dyno, both EBs (the 3.5 and 2.7) had the same torque through 1st-3rd gear IIRC. They theorized that it was to save on driveline damage by dumping that much torque in first gear, or maybe more simply, Ford figures it would just spin the tires. So the ECU handicaps the engines at launch, and that resulted in similar times and why the 2.7L was a little faster than the 3.5L in 0-60, because they had equal power but the 2.7L was a little lighter. It worked out to like two tenths of a second, so human error levels overall.

I imagine the 3.5L and PB are going to make similar at the wheel numbers from 1st-3rd, and then the PB would have a chance to pull away. But as was noted, the weight difference will probably keep the gap pretty tight.

Still, buying a truck like these to drag race is pretty pointless. I think they have found it's more forgiving (and quicker) in 4A or 4x4 too, which I believe TFL reproduced. Which lends a little more evidence to the ECU holding back to prevent wheel spin.

wayfarer556

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150 XLT Powerboost 302A
I have nothing to add that Vulnox has already stated. Just want to emphasize that Powerboost's value goes beyond torque and power. My usual list:

Hybrid Idle + Hotspot + Folding Center console turns this truck in an excellent mobile office. I keep a spare keyboard under the backseat. Also great for long durations of sitting in the truck for other tasks. 105 degrees outside with ice cold AC on battery power is great, quiet, and will not just kill your milage like it would if you were sitting with the engine on.

Hybrid Idle also means you can safely sleep with the truck on in a pinch. Of course you should still be outdoors.

Hybrid design makes the truck far more efficient in stop and go traffic. It's night and day if you're using this as a daily driver.

Pro Power in either 2.4 or 7.2 kw configs are much better than the Pro Power options for ICE trucks, and really transform how flexible these trucks are. I've had some great tailgate parties with this thing, and generator mode is quiet. No obnoxious generator noise that pounds your head.

Less brake wear and tear due to regenerative braking

Basically, these are all huge quality of life things that makes this truck more than the sum of its parts. Personally, within my budget I could have gotten a 3.5 Lariat or a PB XLT 302A....I went with the XLT and I would do it again.

Also, regarding the power curve, Sports Mode on the PB pretty much saves all the battery power for maximizing electrical torque. There is no electric only mode unless you're at a full stop with the brakes engaged. I would be very interested in someone who spent a lot of time in a 3.5 EB in sports mode and then tried PB in sports mode.

diesel97

First Name
rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Ford Edge
Occupation
electrical
Something else to add is you can only get the PB in the crew cab. Not everyone wants a crew cab.

Sponsored

Stan

First Name
Stanley
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 f-150
Occupation
Attorney
One thing to keep in mind as it was proven in the dyno on the last gen, Ford may be handicapping the launch torque still. In the last gen, basically all the engines had the same time at the 60' mark on a drag race, but the higher power engines eventually pulled ahead down the line, and they were trying to figure out why. On the dyno, both EBs (the 3.5 and 2.7) had the same torque through 1st-3rd gear IIRC. They theorized that it was to save on driveline damage by dumping that much torque in first gear, or maybe more simply, Ford figures it would just spin the tires. So the ECU handicaps the engines at launch, and that resulted in similar times and why the 2.7L was a little faster than the 3.5L in 0-60, because they had equal power but the 2.7L was a little lighter. It worked out to like two tenths of a second, so human error levels overall.

I imagine the 3.5L and PB are going to make similar at the wheel numbers from 1st-3rd, and then the PB would have a chance to pull away. But as was noted, the weight difference will probably keep the gap pretty tight.

Still, buying a truck like these to drag race is pretty pointless. I think they have found it's more forgiving (and quicker) in 4A or 4x4 too, which I believe TFL reproduced. Which lends a little more evidence to the ECU holding back to prevent wheel spin.

Stan

First Name
Stanley
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 f-150
Occupation
Attorney
Vulnox (and etal). I have a 2021 F150 PB. I notice hesitation when I accelerate, especially from a stop. I never had this issue in my other Ford 150's. a) do ya'll experience that, and agree, b) why does that not bother ya'll?

Vulnox

First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F-150 Lariat 502A, 3.5L PowerBoost
Vulnox (and etal). I have a 2021 F150 PB. I notice hesitation when I accelerate, especially from a stop. I never had this issue in my other Ford 150's. a) do ya'll experience that, and agree, b) why does that not bother ya'll?
I can't say I notice anything unusual. Only thing that might qualify as hesitation I guess would be the change over from electric motor to engine start. There is, of course, a significant difference in feel between ~70 HP/130 TQ and 450 HP/570 TQ (or whatever the numbers are, I don't have them exactly memorized).

I don't find it to be an different than that few hundred milliseconds it took my 2019 to start from the auto stop/start and get moving. I am not drag racing off traffic lights so that kind of thing doesn't bother me.

Anyway, I don't in general notice any unusual hesitation, meaning anything I can't immediately account for in how the vehicles work. The truck is incredibly strong off the start if I get into it, like heavier acceleration.

ATLalien

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F150 Powerboost
I have noticed a little hesitation in normal mode, but Sport mode seems to get rid of it

ATLalien

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F150 Powerboost
can’t tell you how helpful that was, exactly what I was looking for and I couldn’t find it. Thank you
No worries. As mentioned, I really couldn't tell the difference back to back and I like to think my butt dyno is fairly well tuned after years of driving muscle cars and drag racing a few.

Sponsored

CarolynStride

First Name
Carolyn
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150 xlt 4x2
Occupation
Retired?
The 2.7 had enough engine for me but by the time I added payload, larger tank, locking differential etc, the difference was very small so I will have the powerboost. I figure the generator, power and resale value worth it.

Stan

First Name
Stanley
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 f-150
Occupation
Attorney
Yep, Sport mode does seem to work a lot better on the hesitation issue. Funny, I’ve never use that before. I guess the only downside is that you would not use that on the open highway, right? Maybe go to Eco

IrishFordGuy

First Name
Ken
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Ford F150 XLT PowerBoost
Occupation
Engineer
Excellent points thank you for that reply. I completely agree with you the powerboost just makes so much more sense, and im there. The problem is at the price point I want, I’d be getting a powerboost in an XL. And the 3.5 I could get the STX package. So it really just becomes a matter of looks
I have had both and love the PB

OP
OP

Htk084

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Future f150
I test drove both, back to back before buying my PB. The EB was a pretty decked out Lariat, while the PB I ended up buying was a well optioned XLT. Here's the surprising thing; I couldn't tell the difference between the two in acceleration (sport mode on both, both 3.73 gears). One of the car mags tested the 3.5 and found it to have the same 0-60 and nearly the same quarter mile as the PB. Weight of the hybrid system likely off-sets the 30hp difference. The 70ft/lbs of extra torque will likely help the PB with heavy towing I'd imagine.

I still ended up buying the PB for a few reasons: Fuel economy, 7.2 power on board, liked the color better, and it had the FX4 package I wanted.
Are you sure this is correct? I didn’t think you could get 3.73’s on the EB
Sponsored