Sponsored

10R80 harsh downshifts normal or should I have the dealer tinker with it?

Hans Moleman

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 XLT 302A Powerboost FX4 Sport
Upshifts are generally pretty smooth and never have any issues.

Here is when the harsh downshifting usually occurs:
A) 10 to 6 downshift on the freeway to accelerate quickly.
B) 6 to 5 downshift while slowing down with the brakes applied.
C) 3 to 2 downshift while slowing down with the brakes applied.

I have a 2023 PB with 4/23 build date. Not sure if this mine has the revised CDF drum or not because the information seems to go back and forth.

I have reset the adaptive tables already using Forscan.
Sponsored

WhiteLightningnshitshadow

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2004 F150 4.6 SCAB 6.5 and 2022 2.7 SCREW 5.5
Occupation
Lead Engineer
I'm starting to think they're all intermittently clunky. Was this after the recent OTA update that touched the PCM?

My truck (06/22 date) still seems a tad clunky even after the last update. Not acceptable to me, but if that's what they all are like then I'll have to be fine with it.

Groovicles

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 F150 XLT 302A PB Max Tow
Occupation
Director
I've been having the same issue, especially B and C in your list. Dealer reset the tables which helped for about a week.

Samson16

First Name
Kyle
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'22 F-150 XLT Powerboost Super Crew 4x4
Occupation
Aviation systems
I have found that Normal Mode prefers smooth deliberate inputs or it behaves in the manner you describe. Use Sport for a few trips and see if it drives better for you. In Normal it lags and then over compensates while in Sport it's ready to respond when I ask.
I still use Normal 90% of the time now, but I drive it easy like I would for Eco Mode. It's a more responsive Eco basically.

Sponsored

OP
OP

Hans Moleman

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
I'm starting to think they're all intermittently clunky. Was this after the recent OTA update that touched the PCM?

My truck (06/22 date) still seems a tad clunky even after the last update. Not acceptable to me, but if that's what they all are like then I'll have to be fine with it.
it has been like this since new and none of the OTA updates were PCM related.

OP
OP

Hans Moleman

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
I have found that Normal Mode prefers smooth deliberate inputs or it behaves in the manner you describe. Use Sport for a few trips and see if it drives better for you. In Normal it lags and then over compensates while in Sport it's ready to respond when I ask.
I still use Normal 90% of the time now, but I drive it easy like I would for Eco Mode. It's a more responsive Eco basically.
Last weekend I reset the adaptive tables for a 2nd time and have been driving it in sport mode all this week per someone else’s suggestion in another thread.. I would say the overall driving experience is smoother but the harsh downshifts are still there. I going to stick with driving it in sport mode for another week and see if it gets any better.

HammaMan

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 307a PB, Mach E GTPE
it has been like this since new and none of the OTA updates were PCM related.
We've had 2 PCM updates this year already (PBs) Have you asked rugedraw to check it out?
PM your vin

Samson16

First Name
Kyle
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Aviation systems
When you drive in normal mode are you getting 80-100% regen scores on the little coach screen?

Now in sport you should have smooth and clean acceleration response but rougher downshifts because it holds the gears longer.

In normal mode it skips gears on the up shift and the down to maximize fuel economy. It’s slightly annoying but I want 430hp / 570tq while maintaining over 20mpg average 🤷🏻‍♂️ so I give the powertrain a little slack 😎

Thor’s Stormboost

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Ford F-150 XLT SuperCrew Area-51
I drove in sport on my 23 for the first 2000 miles if not more based on feedback from this forum. It forces the trans to go through ALL gears and get them used. In my 21, I didnt do this (that was a trial and error truck for me) and I had harsh engagement all the time. Didn’t have any issues for a long time but I’ve slowly started to notice some harsh downshifts over last couple hundred miles so I threw it back in sport again and it seems to do the trick.

Sponsored

HammaMan

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 307a PB, Mach E GTPE
Was under decent braking and 6-5 hit pretty good a few minutes ago

OP
OP

Hans Moleman

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
When you drive in normal mode are you getting 80-100% regen scores on the little coach screen?

Now in sport you should have smooth and clean acceleration response but rougher downshifts because it holds the gears longer.

In normal mode it skips gears on the up shift and the down to maximize fuel economy. It’s slightly annoying but I want 430hp / 570tq while maintaining over 20mpg average 🤷🏻‍♂️ so I give the powertrain a little slack 😎
my upshift are extremely smooth regardless if being in normal or sport mode. Just wish my downshifts felt the same way.

OP
OP

Hans Moleman

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
I drove in sport on my 23 for the first 2000 miles if not more based on feedback from this forum. It forces the trans to go through ALL gears and get them used. In my 21, I didnt do this (that was a trial and error truck for me) and I had harsh engagement all the time. Didn’t have any issues for a long time but I’ve slowly started to notice some harsh downshifts over last couple hundred miles so I threw it back in sport again and it seems to do the trick.
did making your 2023 adapt in sport mode make make the downshifts perfectly smooth or is there still a little bit harshness?

OP
OP

Hans Moleman

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Was under decent braking and 6-5 hit pretty good a few minutes ago
yep it hits hard. I wonder if these harsh downshifts are damaging the transmission.

Just curious, have you have that TSB to replace the CDF done yet? Seems like you should qualify since all of the 2022 models should apply.

Samson16

First Name
Kyle
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Aviation systems
yep it hits hard. I wonder if these harsh downshifts are damaging the transmission.

Just curious, have you have that TSB to replace the CDF done yet? Seems like you should qualify since all of the 2022 models should apply.
All 22s? Would we get a notification of some sort? My ‘22 job 2 runs like greased lightning 😎
Sponsored