snyce1

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
21' F150PB PLATINUM, 17'Escape, 15'expeditionEL
I suspect most have the 10 speed framework in our 21's
Mine is 6 mos old and still has very clunky thud into 7th when truck on first drive every day . Hasnt happened once truck warmed up and tranny fluid warmed up . Happens on the first cold run unless i go exceptionally slow thru the powrrband on very gradual acceleration...
It seems to only be into 7th on the wsy up .

Anyone else experienced this ?
Sponsored

JEB

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150 Lariat PB 502a
Mine is 6 mos old and still has very clunky thud into 7th when truck on first drive every day . Hasnt happened once truck warmed up and tranny fluid warmed up . Happens on the first cold run unless i go exceptionally slow thru the powrrband on very gradual acceleration...

Not that high up. Gears 1-3 for me. There have been two software updates to the PCM I am aware of, once of which addressed shifting issues. Have your dealer reflash the module and relearn the adaptive table. That will probably fix it. I did it myself and my transmission has been fine since.

Ford Motor Company

Official Ford Account
First Name
Ford
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F-150

Hi there. Can you send us a DM with your VIN and dealership info? I can look into this for you.

• Haha
Reactions: sbi

sbi

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F-150 5.0L Lariat FX4 Space White SCREW
Not that high up. Gears 1-3 for me. There have been two software updates to the PCM I am aware of, once of which addressed shifting issues. Have your dealer reflash the module and relearn the adaptive table. That will probably fix it. I did it myself and my transmission has been fine since.

Yes, mostly lower gears for me too, especially downshifting from 4 to 3 when I crawl slowly in my neighborhood. Every time it happens I think I hit a wobbly manhole cover but no, it's my transmission making dying noises.
The other day I felt it too as OP mentioned into 7th.
Truck is 3.5 months old with around 2100 miles on it.

RamblinMan

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150 Lariat
I had similar clunking / shifting problems. My dealer told me it's a common issue with the 10 speed transmissions. I took my truck in for State inspection and a recall. I told the service writer about the transmission issue. When I picked up the truck, he told me they reprogrammed the powertrain control module. He said it will take a few days for the transmission to relearn my driving habits. It's only been a day, but the reprogramming has made a huge difference. The shifting is noticeably smoother. Definitely talk to your dealer about getting the PCM reprogrammed.

Ford F-150 Rough shift on the 10 speed Tranny 21' Recall

Sponsored

{tpc}

First Name
Anthony
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 F-150 302a High SuperCrew 3.5 EB MaxTow
When I had my 2020 5.0, it started to do this after awhile. I think around 12k miles or so, really wasn't that bad. I took it in, they flashed the trans with something that was supposed to make it shift better, and it seemed to for a few months, then it started to do it again, only worse than before.

Wasn't terrible, just less than ideal. Never took it back. Traded it in on the 22, and this one is very smooth. If it acts up, I doubt I'll take it in for that, unless a TSB comes out or something. I should have left the 5.0 alone.

STX_guy2023

First Name
Ray
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Ford F-150 STX 2.7 Eco
Occupation
N/A
I only notice a firm shift when driving faster than 45 and slow to 43 it downshift to 7th gear which is no big deal to me and if I drive 35 to 32 it will firmly shift to 4th. my recommendation is Drive the damned thing and quit complaining. I actually like firm shifts so I know it is actually doing it. Quit crying and drive your damned trucks. Try driving an old school 700R4 or a C6 trans, they were rough shifting as Fuck. Quit crying about a slight jerk and get a CVT then. I love my 10 speed actually shifting gears transmission.

Jerome10

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Powerboost
Also want to add that I've noticed some of the thuds going from 6th to 7th when cold.

My biggest one though is the 6 to 5 downshift. I'm not sure that it is bad enough to consider anything "wrong" but I can feel it almost every time.

I overall suspect the transmission is fine and it just gets a little out of sorts. I don't like it necessarily and I would like it to be better but if it is operating as designed and I'm looking at any problems with it I suppose I can accept it.

OP
OP
snyce1

snyce1

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
21' F150PB PLATINUM, 17'Escape, 15'expeditionEL
Also want to add that I've noticed some of the thuds going from 6th to 7th when cold.

My biggest one though is the 6 to 5 downshift. I'm not sure that it is bad enough to consider anything "wrong" but I can feel it almost every time.

I overall suspect the transmission is fine and it just gets a little out of sorts. I don't like it necessarily and I would like it to be better but if it is operating as designed and I'm looking at any problems with it I suppose I can accept it.
I took mine in for that rough shift issue . They reset the system that controls transmission. This gets back to factory setting and as i understand this 10 speed system learns your acceleration load pattern . Now no more thud or clunky shifts over last month or so

Jerome10

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Powerboost
I took mine in for that rough shift issue . They reset the system that controls transmission. This gets back to factory setting and as i understand this 10 speed system learns your acceleration load pattern . Now no more thud or clunky shifts over last month or so
Appreciate the feedback. Will mention next time at dealer.

I seem to be able to fool the truck a bit by braking harder and the 6-5 downshift smooths out. Problem is with the hybrid I try to brake smoothly and slowly to maximize regen. Too much brake pressure and the friction brakes kick in. Light smooth deceleration is when the 6-5 downshift really likes to lurch. It’s consistent every time. Again I don’t think it’s really a “problem” it doesnt slam shift or thud or anything. Just a lurch that I basically notice every time.

Are there still any underfill issues with 2023s? Mine was built in April 2023. Does changing to a different trans fluid (that meets Ford spec, naturally) make any difference?

Sponsored

First Name
Jody
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150 Powerboost Lariat
Occupation
NA

I have a similar issue. When cold, the 6-7 shift is hesitant and clunky as well. Seems to be ok when fluids warm up but less than ideal. Also now seeing a downshift issue on the higher side, when warm and at highway speed downshifts from 10-9 and others below are hesitant, almost like it doesn’t go into gear for a moment.. seeing significant thuds happening on those downshifts.
I am hoping to have this addressed next service.

mredwin25

First Name
edwin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 f150 xlt
Have the dealer or yourself if have forscan reset transmission adaptations and see, that usually fixes rough shifting unless there’s a mechanical problem
Sponsored