1.5 HP Air Compressor turns off 7.2 KW generator

scotty g

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Ford F150 Supercrew Powerboost Agate Black
going off of the sheet from Ford, I should be able to run my brand new, out of the box 1.5 hp air compressor. I have the 7.2 KW generator on board.
Ford F-150 1.5 HP Air Compressor turns off 7.2 KW generator 1654041999490

at first, with an empty tank, it ran and filled up the tank. when i used my air tools for a bit, the air compressor went to turn on, but it turned off the generator.
As this is now my second 1.5 HP air compressor (other one was old) I did some troubleshooting. Turns out that if there is any pressure on the tank, it will not recharge the tank.

I took a screen shot of when the tank was attempting to recharge and it only drew less than 1300 watts.

Ford F-150 1.5 HP Air Compressor turns off 7.2 KW generator Screenshot_20220531-194543_FordPass

Has anyone else successfully recharged their 1.5 HP air compressor, or will the tank always need to be empty to refill?
Sponsored

jcaspar

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F-150 4x4
What brand air compressor is it?

OP
OP
scotty g

scotty g

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
First one was an Ingersol Rand.. this one is a fortress. With some more investigation, I'm going to plug another device into the same circuit, turn it on and then start up the compressor...

imnuts

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'21 502A Powerboost 4×4
Occupation
Facilities Engineer
When it goes to start when the tank has pressure, you're startup amp draw on the motor is likely spiking and going over 20A. Given you're already at 10-11A running, that's easily possible. Having something else running won't help. You might be able to run it if you have an adapter to plug into the 230V receptacle, but your best bet is a soft start.

Sponsored

Buyer2021

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Lariat SuperCab and 2005 XLT SuperCab
Occupation
retired!
Last edited:

Buyer2021

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
retired!
@scotty g , IF your compressor allows, try lowering the compressor cutoff to only a few pounds above the minimum pressure required to operate your air tool or fill the tire in question. Note this is not accomplished by lowering the regulated pressure on the output side of the tank; your compressor must allow adjustment of the cutoff pressure on the input / compressor side of the tank (many do not provide for that adjustment, at least not conveniently).

That might allow it to operate and 'cycle' automatically, though the compressor will cycle 'on' much more frequently in use because the tank will not have much reserve pressure to act as a 'buffer'. IF that works, be careful to not exceed the duty-cycle of the compressor motor lest it overheat.

Just for your consideration.

Last edited:
OP
OP
scotty g

scotty g

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Just FYI / FWIW, see this note on the above linked product webpage:

IMPORTANT:
-This product is not intended to reduce overall current consumption.​
-This product model is not compatible with digital applications, air compressors, air conditioners, or dehumidifiers.​
When it goes to start when the tank has pressure, you're startup amp draw on the motor is likely spiking and going over 20A. Given you're already at 10-11A running, that's easily possible. Having something else running won't help. You might be able to run it if you have an adapter to plug into the 230V receptacle, but your best bet is a soft start.

Thanks for the heads up. I am not versed on soft starts so, any insight you may provide will be greatly appreciated.

Buyer2021

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
retired!
... I am not versed on soft starts ...
You just need to know the type of motor you are starting (its start and run system insofar as capacitors, etc), its current-load both start and running, and ensure the soft start is compatible with those characteristics.

Follow the soft-start instructions / application notes carefully. There's probably an electrical diagram for your compressor in its instructions or parts manual - if you've any doubt or question, sharing that with, and seeking advice from, the soft start manufacturer's tech support folks before purchasing may be helpful to ensure compatibility.

The soft start and the motor system need to 'play nice' with each other to avoid damage to one or both, and generalizations can be misleading (you need to know your particular equipment's specifics). One good thing, it's unlikely even a mis-matched soft start will harm your truck, its own protective devices should trip to prevent that.

You may or may not find a soft start that meets your needs; they're great devices but can't cure all situations of this sort.

Just for your consideration, good luck! :)

imnuts

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'21 502A Powerboost 4×4
Occupation
Facilities Engineer
Basics, a soft start will lower the current required to start the motor and get up to speed. It does this by ramping the motor up in speed versus going to full speed all at once. The startup current can be 2x, 3x, 4x, or more than the running amps of the motor. A soft start typically avoids this current spike and it will stay fairly close to the running amperage when starting. As mentioned, just work with the soft start manufacturer to make sure that whatever you're looking to buy is compatible with your compressor (or other equipment if you're using something else with issues as well).

Sponsored

Meterman

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Ford F-150 Lariat Sport PowerBoost
After I read your thread I went out yesterday and plugged my 2.0HP 8 Gallon Central Pneumatic brand compressor into bank B, the compressor was complete empty. The compressor completely filled the tank, I then pulled the release valve and when the tank level was low enough the compressor turned back on and filled the tank without any issues. I didn't try any tools, figured what I did imitated the same process.

OP
OP
scotty g

scotty g

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Thanks for sharing... I am now wondering if there's an issue with my generator

Buyer2021

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
retired!
.... I am now wondering if there's an issue with my generator
IMO there's been nothing posted in this thread to give basis for that thought. There can be wide differences in the characteristics of actual electrical load imposed by different air compressors, even those of allegedly equal advertised HP.

Methinks the likelihood that an issue with your on-board power system is causing the situation you have experienced is very low. IMO it is much more likely related to the specific characteristics of the specific equipment and resultant electrical load you are applying to that on-board system.

Please understand that making a comparison against other air compressors based only on an advertised HP number is fraught with risk - that single number does not really give you any meaningful information about the equipment's electrical loading characteristics, particularly in these days when advertised numbers may be, ahem, 'exaggerated' to say the least.

OP
OP
scotty g

scotty g

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
I went through 4 different 110 VAC generators (1) 1/2 HP, (2) 1.5 HP, and (1) 1 HP and all threw my generator off. Mind you , out of the 4, 2 were "slow starts"

which leads me to today. I purchased a 220 VAC 2 HP 10 Gallon air compressor and an L14-30 to L-6 adapter... no issues at all.
Ford F-150 1.5 HP Air Compressor turns off 7.2 KW generator 20220603_143717

Spiffy

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 platinum powerboost
Occupation
Retired
The single outlet is 20 amps.
The 220 outlet is 30 amps per 110 volt side.
Pick up a rv pigtail to plug into the 220 outlet.
The work end if the pigtail will be 110 volts and 30 amps.
You pick up 10 amps using the big outlet. It's the way the inverter is wired.
FYI. If you plug in your generator to your house panel the truck will provide 30amps on each side. I can power my lights, refg, furnace, and home theater setup.
Sponsored