First Name
Will
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Powerboost F150 Platinum 4x4
Occupation
Engineer
I should be receiving my powerboost hopefully by…Halloween like many others :confused: and figured I’d use the extra time to get some essentials.

My question is if y’all could help steer me in the right direction for the best electrical components needed to properly power (partially) my home in the event of power outages?

Does anyone have a setup they have used and loved? Thanks!
Sponsored

jcaspar

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F-150 4x4
This is actually a pretty complex subject. I was able to get the truck directly wired to the house without tripping the truck's GFI by not wiring the GROUND (I originally mistakenly said neutral which is completely wrong!) but I am not sure if the is a safe option. Lots of discussion here. I have not seen any postings of anyone else wiring directly to the panel of their house. Would be great to hear from anyone else who has done this.

Last edited:
OP
OP
chill_will

chill_will

First Name
Will
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Engineer
This is actually a pretty complex subject. I was able to get the truck directly wired to the house without tripping the truck's GFI by not wiring the neutral but I am not sure if the is a safe option. Lots of discussion here. I have not seen any postings of anyone else wiring directly to the panel of their house. Would be great to hear from anyone else who has done this.
Thanks! Hoping someone who has solved the riddle can comment. I’ll check out that thread as well.

From what I understand, the lightning has the same size generator in the bed (additional 2.4kw in frunk?) and can power a home according to their marketing. I know I can run some extension cords and power strips into the house but would love to see someone who has leveraged that 30A outlet.

jcaspar

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F-150 4x4

Sponsored

blueovalguy

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Lariat Powerboost
Not being an electrician, The fact that it has 4 120V plugs should allow me to power anything I need for a power outage (furnace, fridge, lights).

Having used the generator feature MANY times already, I will say it uses much more gas than a wheel around generator. Probably close to a 2:1 ratio (haven’t done exact math). So I guess most important tool is: A Full tank of gas!!! I actually fill up whenever I get to 1/2 way mark now simply for the fact of Incase I need power at home.

OP
OP
chill_will

chill_will

First Name
Will
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Engineer
Not being an electrician, The fact that it has 4 120V plugs should allow me to power anything I need for a power outage (furnace, fridge, lights).

Having used the generator feature MANY times already, I will say it uses much more gas than a wheel around generator. Probably close to a 2:1 ratio (haven’t done exact math). So I guess most important tool is: A Full tank of gas!!! I actually fill up whenever I get to 1/2 way mark now simply for the fact of Incase I need power at home.
That’s what I do now with my stand alone generator — run extension cords into the house and power appliances with a power strip. This gets problematic when, like yesterday, our power goes out right before our 10mo baby’s bath and bedtime. Having to scramble to get cords and power strips hooked up to all the baby stuff.

Talked to my electrician buddy today and he said he can set me up pretty quick. It’ll require some wiring work with the electric main. I’ll post what we end up doing but in talking today, I should be able to power my house (less AC and hot water heater). I won’t be able to test the pro power generator until who knows…

blueovalguy

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Lariat Powerboost
That’s what I do now with my stand alone generator — run extension cords into the house and power appliances with a power strip. Talked to my electrician buddy today and he said he can set me up pretty quick. It’ll require some wiring work with the electric main. I’ll post what we end up doing but in talking today, I should be able to power my house (less AC and hot water heater). I won’t be able to test the pro power generator until who knows…
What size condenser do you have? I power a 2 ton heat pump with my truck no issue (plus a bunch of other stuff)

OP
OP
chill_will

chill_will

First Name
Will
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Engineer
What size condenser do you have? I power a 2 ton heat pump with my truck no issue (plus a bunch of other stuff)
Cant say off the top of my head, but I will definitely test how much I can power. My buddy didn’t suggest I wouldn’t be able to power my AC, I was just being conservative until I can prove it.

blueovalguy

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Lariat Powerboost
Cant say off the top of my head, but I will definitely test how much I can power. My buddy didn’t suggest I wouldn’t be able to power my AC, I was just being conservative until I can prove it.
Ya i just saw you live in Texas. He’s probably right. Everything is bigger there haha

You could however easily power a window shaker for your 10mo old room.

Sponsored

Hullguy

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2013 F150 FX 4
Occupation
Retired Union Electrician
Or connect directly without the neutral, though I am not sure about the safety implications of this.
Thi
Or connect directly without the neutral, though I am not sure about the safety implications of this.
This is completely wrong and is causing a safety hazard to you, your family and your house!

jcaspar

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F-150 4x4
ThiThis is completely wrong and is causing a safety hazard to you, your family and your house!
Can you explain the safety hazard? Not questioning that it exists, just curious what it is.

EDIT: I meant to say not wiring the GROUND, not neutral.

Last edited:

jeffcrum

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F-150 XLT 302A Powerboost 7.2kw Inverter
Occupation
Computer programmer
I think you meant ... Without the ground.

But, I believe the electricians will say the same thing about a safety hazard.

I am wondering if it is possible to put a switch on the neutral ground bond. Then shut of main breaker (and all other breakers), break the bond by shutting of the switch, then connect truck to outlet, and turn on the breakers you want/need.

Of course, use an interlock to make sure the main and generator breakers are not on at the same time.

Hullguy

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2013 F150 FX 4
Occupation
Can you explain the safety hazard? Not questioning that it exists, just curious what it is.
You need three wires for electricity to work in a house at 240/120 volts. Two hots and a neutral. The ground is your safety wire and a house’s electrical system is designed so that your ground wire doesn’t carry any voltage or current unless there is a short circuit. If you eliminate the neutral then the ground will become live. This can cause devices to catch on fire or electrocute people using their hair dryers or can openers!

Hullguy

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2013 F150 FX 4
Occupation
I think you meant ... Without the ground.

But, I believe the electricians will say the same thing about a safety hazard.

I am wondering if it is possible to put a switch on the neutral ground bond. Then shut of main breaker (and all other breakers), break the bond by shutting of the switch, then connect truck to outlet, and turn on the breakers you want/need.

Of course, use an interlock to make sure the main and generator breakers are not on at the same time.
This is what using the correct transfer switch does.
Sponsored