First Name
Robert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 F150 King Ranch 4x4
Occupation
Retired Navy Senior Chief
i miss the days where the sales guy took your key of your trade and leave you in an office for 20 minutes
only to return with a hand written page of the value of your trade , price of new car, some other weird numbers then a payment circled in red..
then you ask for your keys back and they magically cant find them
so you have to create a scene on the sales floor, then all the office doors close as people turn to hear you demand your property back

or they park your vehicle in the spots behind the service bays so you have to walk forever listening to the sales guy explain this is the best deal

then flip to a few years later in birmigham, long lewis ford
they paid their sales staff a salary so they all worked for a common goal
i did everything by phone, guy called, gave me a quote on my trade, i countered, they agreed i drove an hour , walked in signed a paper and drove off in under 30 minutes
everybody was happy

and johston ford in texarkana is the same way
all the sales people are on salary so they all work to get the deal done and no BS

texas country ford operates the same way in winnboro

Brian toliver( sulphur spirngs tx) has 6 lots and operates farily well, but sales force is commission only
but they generally dont play games, except they try to get you to use THEIR banking partner vice ford credit, which nets them a kick back and you higher interest, and they offer 3rd party ESP vice ford ESP, but will not push the issue.
HOWEVER he does try to hold a premium on superduties and upper trim f150s. i say try.

we should be putting good dealers in this thread i believe

but if you are not in a hurry ORDER it from granger,
Sponsored

Buyer2021

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Lariat SuperCab and 2005 XLT SuperCab
Occupation
retired!
It’s really pathetic. Ford doesn’t give a crap how their dealers behave.
I agree that the pricing behavior of many, many dealers is "pathetic" (for lack of a better word). Those dealers manage to survive and even thrive by taking advantage of the fact that the vast majority of consumers remain sadly uninformed about how to effectively negotiate a vehicle purchase.

But for the most part I don't hold Ford Corporate responsible for that shameful behavior by those dealers. The extraordinarily politically-powerful state and national dealer-association lobby has been quite successful in ensuring that, in most states, legislatures have passed laws prohibiting manufacturers from intervening in dealer setting of actual vehicle sales prices (distinct from MSRP - Manufacturer Suggested Retail Price).

Ford Corporate, recognizing that they reflect very poorly on Ford and damages the brand's reputation, has often expressed frustration and chagrin about many of these dealer pricing practices. But laws relating to dealer franchise agreements leave Ford Corporate with little or no power to effect meaningful control over the situation.

Ultimately, it's up to consumers to improve the situation by becoming better informed buyers and fighting for legislative change. Granted, the chances of that happening at any impactful scale are slim indeed.

Last edited:

National Superbike

First Name
Curt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
23 F150 SC 2.7EB
Occupation
vintage motorcycle restoration
I think when people have a certain truck/package that they have to have and won't look at anything else, they are setting themselves up to be taken advantage of. I was looking for the best deal, not a specific truck and bought a leftover 23 for 9k off sticker and a 4k Ford cash offer- and 1.9 financing for 72mo. Dealer was pretty desperate to get rid of them so I may have left money on the table, too. Having owned a couple motorcycle dealerships and worked for a couple car dealers, the key is to make sure the dealer is more desperate than you are otherwise you will pay more than you need to. Now that Covid and the supply chain stuff is over, you will see 10k discounts on trucks across the board- especially when they need to get rid of old inventory. Hard to imagine that Ford still has so many 23's sitting on lots- at least in the Atlanta area.

Bossharp

First Name
Clinton
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Honda
Occupation
Retired USN
Many dealerships are part of a 'Group' now and one of the results of that is there is MORE mouths to feed from a single sale. It also eliminates real competition in large geographic areas. How far are you willing to go to get a fair deal? In my case it was 1,265 miles from Ocala Florida to Granger Iowa! Frankly I would have NOT bought/ordered my RCSB XL if I could not get Granger's lower price..
Back in the late 90's a good friend of mine bought a new Toyota single cab over the phone and had it delivered to his house. His main reason for doing that besides saving money was that he HATED what he called the 'Dance' of negotiations. Now that it's much easier to do business online and remotely it's a real option for lots of folks who don't have a good dealership locally. But for over a hundred years now the business model is to go to the local dealer, take a test drive, look at the vehicles on the lot and fight a very highly trained sales team for the price and trade in value of the car/truck you have now. And for a lot of people you don't stand a chance! Lots of folks are upside down and can't sell there vehicle outright. At least not easily. I have always felt sorry for the folks who have to go to a buy here pay here dealer. If you have friends who can't get a decent deal locally Granger is still a option even if they would never consider flying in and driving home with it. Just have it shipped to your front door! It was $1,200 for transport from Iowa to Florida and and even if paying that my deal was thousands less than buying local..

Jekyll

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2011 F150 XLT SCAB 6.5, 2024 F150 Lariat SCREW, 6.
I'll happily tell everyone the good, bad, and ugly of my dealership experiences but, IMO, a Blacklist is vulgar and un-American.

Salaried sales people make a better customer experience in my experience. Koon's Dodge in Tysons corner was great in every way except the finance guy aggressively tried to sell add-ons. I really had to remain strong and polite. Internet sales and pricing was great. I think the sales guy was salary.

My current dealer is Ciocca Ford in Quakertown PA. They happily ordered at 4% below invoice with a $500 fully refundable deposit. They are ready to order a 2nd vehicle with same deal as soon as the Lariate delivers. The staff are salaried and very helpful. I didn't know of Granger when I ordered. They knew of them and later said: we are a whole lot closer. I was working with another dealer on a 23 with deletes at $10k below MSRP when I found Ciocca's deal. I got the 24 with no deletes and exactly to my desires for the same reduction under MSRP as the 23 would have been. I checked with a few other dealers but they wanted MSRP for orders. 1 was willing to deal but couldn't match the DORA.

Sponsored

JExpedition07

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 F-150 STX 5.0L V8
Funny, the dealer didn’t like when I told them due to our location my trade in was $5,000 over their offer. “Here in buffalo New York we are a unique market, this Expedition EL is highly sought after due to the aluminum hood and tailgate. Locally I need a $5k addendum added to my trade value. You won’t get one like this again!!!!”

Hans Moleman

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 XLT 302A Powerboost FX4 Sport
My situation was a bit off too with the dealership. My window sticker didn’t show the $1900 discount for the hybrid powerboost so I thought that discount must have depended on when the truck was made. The finance guy told me he was giving me some kind of free road hazard warranty on the tires but he had to charge $1900 and then issue a $1900 rebate on the sales contract. At the time I got $17000 off MSRP, it was late, and I wanted to go home with my new truck.

The next day it hit me that Ford must have given the $1900 hybrid powerboost rebate separately because the $1900 discount wasn’t on the window sticker. If I had picked up on this in the finance office I could have gotten a total of $18900 off MSRP. I guess I still got a good deal but this deceit still upsets me.

Last edited:

amschind

First Name
Adam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'21 F150 SCrew 4x4 Powerboost
Occupation
Physician
This is a solution disguised as a problem. Dealers have zero loyalty, neither should you. Nationwide search tools are the easiest way to look for a vehicle, so why not use them? Find the cheapest version of the truck you want in an 8 hour driving radius from your house, get on a plane and road trip home.

gtchs

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2024 F-150 RCSB
I originally ordered a 24 RCSB from Granger back in October. That ultimately didn't work out (no fault of Granger's...truck got hail damage before delivery and I wasn't willing to settle for that plus unknowns of truck sitting for months for whatever 'quality' issue had to be fixed).

Anyway, I ended up buying one from Lithia Springs Ford in Atlanta. Price was about $1200 more than Granger's but I ultimately paid about $1500 less due to trading in my SUV (saved on Georgia taxes) and by not having to pay for transport of the truck from Iowa to south Georgia.

Lithia Springs Ford tried playing all the games (add-ons, etc.) but they finally gave in and gave me the price I wanted with no add-ons.

Matisse70

First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2010 F 150, 2012 Focus, 2017 Edge
Occupation
Engineer
Many dealers I contacted in NJ, NY & CT with Granger’s quote thought I made it up with a fake quote back in late 2022. They were all asking at least $3,000-5000 over msrp + some dealer installed options. So I flew from NJ to Granger then drove mine back home 18hr straight with one rest stop. Saved about 10k and my local dealer still doesn’t believe what I paid for mine.
I'm doing the same. I live in NJ and Granger beat everyone in my area and further out by 10K. Wherever I get a build date and Granger takes custody, I will fly out and do the 18 hour drive, but I'm going to take my time and do it in 2 to 3 days.

Sponsored

HDT05

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2024 F150 Lariat 502A FX4 5.0
I think when people have a certain truck/package that they have to have and won't look at anything else, they are setting themselves up to be taken advantage of.
I'm not sure I agree with that... I knew exactly what I wanted and my search led me to Granger and a higher spec 2024 lariat to replace my lease ending 2021 lariat... I only paid approx $800 more with additional options 3 years later.... and even got the same color again because I love my truck as I got it configured....

I don't feel I got taken advantage of...

OscarMike128

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
17 Ford F-150 XLT sport, 24 Ford F-150 Lariat
Occupation
Project Manager
I'm not sure I agree with that... I knew exactly what I wanted and my search led me to Granger and a higher spec 2024 lariat to replace my lease ending 2021 lariat... I only paid approx $800 more with additional options 3 years later.... and even got the same color again because I love my truck as I got it configured....

I don't feel I got taken advantage of...
To be fair, granger is the needle in the haystack. Is it possible to find the needle? Absolutely. But you have to dig through thouands of pounds of hay. Without word of mouth from strangers in the internet I doubt you would of found them.

HDT05

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
To be fair, granger is the needle in the haystack. Is it possible to find the needle? Absolutely. But you have to dig through thouands of pounds of hay. Without word of mouth from strangers in the internet I doubt you would of found them.
No doubt... if I was half hearted and didn't try then I like many others wouldn't have found them....

But I did and I don't feel I got taken advantage of by knowing what I wanted.... quite the opposite actually....

OscarMike128

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
17 Ford F-150 XLT sport, 24 Ford F-150 Lariat
Occupation
Project Manager
No doubt... if I was half hearted and didn't try then I like many others wouldn't have found them....

But I did and I don't feel I got taken advantage of by knowing what I wanted.... quite the opposite actually....
Like I said, granger is one of if not the only dealership in North America doing what they are doing for ford. That’s called an outlier. Not the average experience by 99% of ford customers.

HDT05

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
And your point is?

How on earth does Grangers business model relate to people "knowing what they want" means they are at greater risk of being taken advantage of?

Because you claim Granger are an outlier? If you'd read the whole thread, you'd see I also have done the same thing whilst buying numerous BMW's, so Granger, and other Ford and GMC dealers who offer a similar service aren't the only ones....

Truth is, people who know what they want often find a way to get it.

If you want to debate the merits of the argument I actually said I disagreed with, then go right ahead...
Sponsored