First Name
Terry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 F-150
Occupation
Retired/Auctioneer
I have been consciously resetting the mode on my '22 F-150 to "ECO" just to explore whether better mileage is obtainable. I drive really conservatively, without hard acceleration, etc. My average displayed on the dash before experimenting with it was 18.1 mpg, and that has NOT changed. Has anyone else experimented with this? I do notice a bit less power on take-off from a stop in the ECO mode.

About a month after buying the truck we took it on a trip from Iowa to San Antonio, Texas, and the average mpg was right around 20 mpg in the standard mode. I am wondering why we only saw that mileage one time. We were driving around 80 mhp plus to keep up with traffic on that trip with the truck in the normal mode.

Any ideas?
Sponsored

Xman

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2012 Ram 1500, 2024 F150 Lariat on order
I would say if you got 20 mpg driving a "Brick" at 80 mph, you are doing very well. I find my current truck gets a significant boost in gas mileage when I get above 4,500' MSL where the air is thinner (less aerodynamic drag). I'm about to order a 3.5 EB and I hope I can see that type of gas mileage at the lower elevations.

Jared Friesen

First Name
texas guy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Ford F150
I have noticed on my 2021 3.5 ecoboost that eco mode actually seems to make my fuel mileage go down. About 1/2 to 1 mpg. I just always run it in normal mode anymore. The biggest fuel mileage jump comes from running premium fuel. I get about 2 mpg better on premium vs regular.

mxwrk

First Name
Max
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Lariat Powerboost
I used to do the same, religiously setting Eco on my Powerboost at the start of every drive. Now I just let it run in normal mode and noticed no difference. The only time I set it to Eco is on long highway road trips as it seems to stay off the boost less when using cruise control (doesn't automatically floor it to get back up to speed)

OP
OP

TarnishedCopper

First Name
Terry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 F-150
Occupation
Retired/Auctioneer
I just now filled it and I calculated 16.89 mpg. Most of it was city driving however. Waiting for the next out of town interstate trip to seei f ECO makes any difference. Thanks for the replies.

Sponsored

Ronin1973

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Ford F-150 XLT FX SuperCrew 4x4 3.5 Race Red
I have found that the Eco mode helps mpg slightly in city driving. That is the only time I use it now. In hwy driving, I get my best mileage in Normal mode. I currently get 25 to 26 hwy drive to work. Combined with city, about 23-24.

OP
OP

TarnishedCopper

First Name
Terry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 F-150
Occupation
Retired/Auctioneer
My F-150 has a little over 10,000 miles and the best I have ever gotten is 20 on a long highway trip of 1800 miles each way. That was in the normal mode. Wonder why there's so much difference? I don't accelerate hard etc...

Smokewagun

First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Ford F-150 Lariat Lightning
I just picked up my 2023 STX about 12 days ago. After about 1,200 miles and two fill ups, I’m netting just about 23mpg with the little 2.7L. I was surprised bucking a stiff headwind in Iowa last weekend, I still pulled 19.5. My past 3.5L’s wouldn’t come close. I tried the eco-mode for a spell, and it did absolutely nothing. Fine with me. No additional motion every time I start up. Just got rid of that start-stop crap for that reason.

PaulGrun

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 F-150 XLT
About a month after buying the truck we took it on a trip from Iowa to San Antonio, Texas, and the average mpg was right around 20 mpg in the standard mode. I am wondering why we only saw that mileage one time. We were driving around 80 mhp plus to keep up with traffic on that trip with the truck in the normal mode.

Any ideas?
I would say that there are a raft of factors, many of them environmental, that could easily nudge your fuel economy a couple of MPGs either way. Ambient temp, wind, barometric pressure, relative humidity, not to mention the factors we can control for. Gas mileage, IMHO, is far, far from the precise measure with which we are all prone to treat it.

Ronin1973

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Ford F-150 XLT FX SuperCrew 4x4 3.5 Race Red
My F-150 has a little over 10,000 miles and the best I have ever gotten is 20 on a long highway trip of 1800 miles each way. That was in the normal mode. Wonder why there's so much difference? I don't accelerate hard etc...
I am completely stock, 3:31 gears, and drive very conservatively. All I do.

Sponsored

shooters1380

First Name
Robert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 F-150 Tremor
Occupation
Law enforcement
I have been consciously resetting the mode on my '22 F-150 to "ECO" just to explore whether better mileage is obtainable. I drive really conservatively, without hard acceleration, etc. My average displayed on the dash before experimenting with it was 18.1 mpg, and that has NOT changed. Has anyone else experimented with this? I do notice a bit less power on take-off from a stop in the ECO mode.

Any ideas?
I did the same as you did and drove in Eco mode for several tanks. Tried using Premium fuel, and regular fuel, then back to regular mode using premium and regular unleaded. I found that using the Eco mode gave me worse fuel economy. Now I'm back to regular unleaded and not messing with mode changes. I’ve yet to see anything over 17mpgs and I have 12k on the odometer

WhiteLightningnshitshadow

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2004 F150 4.6 SCAB 6.5 and 2022 2.7 SCREW 5.5
Occupation
Lead Engineer
Idk how you guys are getting sub 20mpg. My 2.7s incredible mileage aside, my parents 3.5 lariat was easily hitting 22 mixed with me driving. I'm sure I could hit 24-25ish with more highway.

Rinn69

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
24 F-150 XL 4x4 RCSB Carbonized Gray
Occupation
Retired USAF Medic
Once the eco-boost gets going, it's great for mileage. Once the turbo(s) start spinning, there goes the mileage. Do you have a way to monitor the boost, like a gauge or an OBDII scan gauge ? I was surprised how often my Ranger's little 2.3 EB was into the boost, but it explained why I struggle to get over 20 mpg's, even on long trips. Head winds and hilly terrain are really hard on EB MPG's.

OP
OP

TarnishedCopper

First Name
Terry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 F-150
Occupation
Retired/Auctioneer
Once the eco-boost gets going, it's great for mileage. Once the turbo(s) start spinning, there goes the mileage. Do you have a way to monitor the boost, like a gauge or an OBDII scan gauge ? I was surprised how often my Ranger's little 2.3 EB was into the boost, but it explained why I struggle to get over 20 mpg's, even on long trips. Head winds and hilly terrain are really hard on EB MPG's.
I do have an ODBII scan tool. I didn't know that would tell me about the boost.
Sponsored