First Name
Robert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 F150 King Ranch 4x4
Occupation
Retired Navy Senior Chief
anyone know of info that details when or what conditions will have the grill shutters fully open on both the radiator and charge air cooler, or closed ?
does tow haul cause them to stay open at all speeds ?? does max a/c selection also leave them fully open at say speeds above 45 or so?
do the charge air cooler shutters operate independently of the radiator shutters?
thanks
Sponsored

Kanuck

First Name
Don
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 XLT Scab 3.5 EB 6.5 Carbonized Grey Metallic
Occupation
Retired Electrician
anyone know of info that details when or what conditions will have the grill shutters fully open on both the radiator and charge air cooler, or closed ?
does tow haul cause them to stay open at all speeds ?? does max a/c selection also leave them fully open at say speeds above 45 or so?
do the charge air cooler shutters operate independently of the radiator shutters?
thanks
One would think that they are the same setup as on a semi. Maintain a set engine temp. Open and close as required. I know my truck comes up to operating temp fast even during the winter.

Snakebitten

First Name
Bruce
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 F150 KingRanch Powerboost
They are mechanically independent of each other. I suspect they are managed with different parameters and targets.

OP
OP
powerboatr

powerboatr

First Name
Robert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 F150 King Ranch 4x4
Occupation
They are mechanically independent of each other. I suspect they are managed with different parameters and targets.
i get they should be managed based on different or maybe same situations
i was wondering as i was washing the truck this morning to remove the cow piss from the hood
if forscan has pids that i can monitor while driving to see what does what
that to see IAT at 75 while its 100 outside.
1st gen eco charge air cooler supposedly got the IAT to cold and caused condensation in the cooler itself.. i had mine replaced because it was full of oily crap under warranty. so i am sure it happens
but with OAT at 95 or higher the charge air cooler i hope is bringing it down pretty far
just curious as the mind goes

Snakebitten

First Name
Bruce
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 F150 KingRanch Powerboost
I recently removed my lower shutters after viewing a video of them opening/closing. I'll see if I can find it and you'll know why I did.

However, on my Powerboost it has almost no improvement on IAT2's as I discovered the nature of the Powerboost intake temperatures to heat up as a result of the ICE engine turning off often. When it's off there is obviously zero air traveling through the intake and the IAT2 sensor reveals that the intake itself just sits and heats up from the hot motor. Of course the moment the ICE ignites and starts drawing in fresh air, the IAT2's take a quick and sharp drop, but it's fairly heat soaked at that point.

So when ambient is anywhere between 80-100, with or without the shutters, IAT2's are going to be in the 120-130 range with the ICE running.

A unique trait compared to my 2018 3.5 Ecoboost, which I could keep IAT2's maybe 10 degrees closer to Ambient than this Powerboost.

The good news is that this 3rd Generation Ecoboost seems more than capable of keeping the OAR pegged at -1 and still be adding timing even with 125F IAT2's. :)

It's a happy motor!
And runs at significantly lower ECT's to boot.
I love this truck

Sponsored

OP
OP
powerboatr

powerboatr

First Name
Robert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 F150 King Ranch 4x4
Occupation
I recently removed my lower shutters after viewing a video of them opening/closing. I'll see if I can find it and you'll know why I did.

However, on my Powerboost it has almost no improvement on IAT2's as I discovered the nature of the Powerboost intake temperatures to heat up as a result of the ICE engine turning off often. When it's off there is obviously zero air traveling through the intake and the IAT2 sensor reveals that the intake itself just sits and heats up from the hot motor. Of course the moment the ICE ignites and starts drawing in fresh air, the IAT2's take a quick and sharp drop, but it's fairly heat soaked at that point.

So when ambient is anywhere between 80-100, with or without the shutters, IAT2's are going to be in the 120-130 range with the ICE running.

A unique trait compared to my 2018 3.5 Ecoboost, which I could keep IAT2's maybe 10 degrees closer to Ambient than this Powerboost.

The good news is that this 3rd Generation Ecoboost seems more than capable of keeping the OAR pegged at -1 and still be adding timing even with 125F IAT2's. :)

It's a happy motor!
And runs at significantly lower ECT's to boot.
I love this truck
i was wondering about timing as well, with the rise in temps.
you saw my post about mpg . it was hot hot hot out and truck felt like it was low on pwr. could just be 9th and 10th and the 331 rear gear not letting engine turn in the middle of pwr band so it lugs a bit .
i am used to the 6 spd eco boost and the gobs of freaking tq the powerstroke had and it just held 10th even climbing the bridge in baton rouge going over the river. i know it was a fluke to hit the bridge at 65..as its usually slow and stop and go

i want to watch head temps, iat and coolant in 10th at 75 steady state. hopefully this week i can run a few test drives.

OP
OP
powerboatr

powerboatr

First Name
Robert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 F150 King Ranch 4x4
Occupation
i went out to run a few pids and the active grill shutters are listed, but strange definitions are used
it listed movement and the like but not actual position. but list restrictions of movement.
so i need to look deeper

Doyouevenboost

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2002 Subaru, 21 f150 502a ecoboost
Occupation
Utility maintenance worker
thanks
Pretty vague description from the Workshop Manual,

"The PCM communicates the desired position (open, closed or in between) of the active grille shutter systems. The upper active grille shutter control is based on various PCM inputs (vehicle speed, coolant temperature, ambient temperature, A/C system pressure, etc.). If equipped, the lower active grille shutter control is dedicated to managing charge air temperature into the turbocharger, and is based on PCM inputs such as vehicle speed, turbo charge pressure, ambient temperature, charge air temperature, etc..."

it is interesting to me that the A/C input pid is a pressure not just an on/off.

Kanuck

First Name
Don
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 XLT Scab 3.5 EB 6.5 Carbonized Grey Metallic
Occupation
Retired Electrician
With the A/C pressure being monitored, would that not indicate the load on the A/C. Mine shows the A/C on but the fan is running at slow speed (when in Auto). This to me indicates the system requirements for cooling.

OP
OP
powerboatr

powerboatr

First Name
Robert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 F150 King Ranch 4x4
Occupation
Pretty vague description from the Workshop Manual,

"The PCM communicates the desired position (open, closed or in between) of the active grille shutter systems. The upper active grille shutter control is based on various PCM inputs (vehicle speed, coolant temperature, ambient temperature, A/C system pressure, etc.). If equipped, the lower active grille shutter control is dedicated to managing charge air temperature into the turbocharger, and is based on PCM inputs such as vehicle speed, turbo charge pressure, ambient temperature, charge air temperature, etc..."

it is interesting to me that the A/C input pid is a pressure not just an on/off.
the ac compressor is a variable pressure unit, so maybe the system sees a high pressure as more demand and opens shutters more and conversely with lower pressures and less demand for cooling
for reference, my house ac are mini splits with variable speed compressors and condenser fans
they can loaf all day long at low speed and still put out 45f air saves tons of power
so i could see this applied to vehicles as a gas saver while still providing desired cabin temps.

by the description in the manual it seems all drive modes, may or may not create different parameters to open or close shutters. rock crawl i would assume they are wide open and cooling fans run pretty fast if required?
i think i found my answer on the charge air cooler, so pcm monitors all the temps to ensure the AIT is within specs or low as possible and still stay dry in relation to the outside air humidity and temps.
still concerned why truck felt sluggish at 75 in 10th. might run 9th to see if it helps the lugging feeling and if mpg changes in good or bad. at 75 i see 1600 on tach. so tq should be there. but boost is not anywhere near what i expected. its low as well in the 1/4 range on the gauge so that should be around 5 to 8 psi?
thanks
Sponsored