• Welcome to F150Lightningforum.com everyone!

If you're joining us from F150gen14.com, then you may already have an account here!

If you were registered on F150gen14.com as of April 16, 2022 or earlier, then you can simply login here with the same username and password!

Sponsored

Anyone holding off ordering & waiting for Silverado.

Fordskeptic

First Name
Chevy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Chevy, toyota, honda, jeep
For folks, like me, holding late Lightning reservations......are you considering the Silverado electric instead? What little info there is on the 2023/2024 Silverado electric has not swayed me, even though I lean more GM than Ford since a disappointing experience with the Taurus.

With the exception of extended range and faster charging, the things that GM seems to have touted (glass roof, 24"wheels, etc.) do nothing for me. The tighter turning radius is nice, but not worth waiting a year plus longer for. Seems to me that GM is targeting a very different buyer than Ford, and is surrendering a chunk of the work-oriented pick up market. GM must see itself competing for Tesla's share more so than their traditional ICE truck base.

Thoughts?
Sponsored

Vulnox

First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F-150 Lariat 502A, 3.5L PowerBoost
Definitely not, unless they actually make an attractive Silverado, but even then I haven't heard anything that enticing. Faster charging will be a wait and see to see what actual charging time is, and even then it only matters for road trips. Without knowing price, equipment, etc, I see no reason to wait. Now if it launched with 500 mile range and you could get that range for $60k, that would be a head turner. But that is unlikely.

Reactions: LRK

BennyTheBeaver

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Lightning XLT ER
The 2021 Silverado was rated as the worst truck via Consumer Reports and other outlets. I'd consider other electric trucks/SUVs before a Silverado, personally.

Oxford_Powerboost

First Name
Austin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F-150 Lariat Powerboost
I think the better question is if anyone is considering the Rivian pickup. Obviously not a tried and true company, but dang, that’s a cool truck after watching the first drive reviews that came out recently. And not unreasonable prices for those who were already looking at lariat’s or platty’s for the lightning…

BennyTheBeaver

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Lightning XLT ER
I think the better question is if anyone is considering the Rivian pickup. Obviously not a tried and true company, but dang, that’s a cool truck after watching the first drive reviews that came out recently. And not unreasonable prices for those who were already looking at lariat’s or platty’s for the lightning…
I think anyone looking at the Pro SR Lightning isn't going to be in the market for any other Electric truck at the moment (CT may come out in 2028 at this point, Rivian and Hummer are not comparable on pricing). The perception I get (from myself and others in these forums) is the Rivian is more of a backwoods toy than a tried and true daily driver. I personally am not interested in Rivian due to both the price and the fact that it is a Gen 1 vehicle from a Brand New company.

Those interested in the Lariat or Platinum Lightning may have a tougher choice than I do with the Rivian.

Ford Options also would guarantee me a buyback from Ford should Ford's Gen 1 not live up to all it's hype (the hype certainly seems legit).

Now, those that are way down the waiting list may look at the Hybrid Maverick as a stop gap...

Sponsored

Brian Head Yankee

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Bronco Sport, Chevy Colorado 4x4
The better question is if anyone is considering the Hummer? Crab steering would be a hit a parties.

The Rivian has a face only a mother could love.

Ford F-150 Lightning Anyone holding off ordering & waiting for Silverado. 1633631073812

Ford F-150 Lightning Anyone holding off ordering & waiting for Silverado. 1633631088118

sotek2345

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Lightning Lariat ER, 2021 Mach-e GT
Occupation
Engineering Manager
Well if the Silverado is anything like the Bolt, it will certainly be the HOTTEST truck around! ?

(Sorry couldn't resist)

I plan on checking out the reveal, but I doubt it will sway me away from the Lightning.

Vulnox

First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F-150 Lariat 502A, 3.5L PowerBoost
The better question is if anyone is considering the Hummer? Crab steering would be a hit a parties.

The Rivian has a face only a mother could love.

1633631073812.png

1633631088118.png
The price on the Hummer makes it a non-starter for I imagine most. I just don't get the logic of a $100k+ off-road vehicle. The number of people that both:
A. Can easily afford a $112k truck, EV or not, without a 92 month 6% loan
B. Actually intend to take it off-road to do the things that make it special compared to a Lightning at half the price

Has to be near as makes no difference 1% of the truck buying public, if that.

I know plenty of people may buy them anyway even if they never take it off-road, can see that with the TRX and Raptor owners that would rather chop off a finger than get their $70-100k trucks dirty, but $112k starting price is another level even still.

Stuff

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 F150 Lightning Lariat ER
Early reservation here (I hope), but considering my last experience with a GM product... No, no I will not ever consider it. ?

Diabolical!

First Name
Lee
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'11 F250, '17 Chevy Volt, '22 Lightning (Reserved)
My current car is a GM (2017 Chevy Volt). My last car was a GM (2015 Chevy Volt). Honestly, two of the best cars I have ever owned. GM makes a hell of a vehicle. My experiences with their dealer network, however, have convinced me never to own another GM product again. I'm not a brand loyalist, but I won't return business when my business is not valued.

Sponsored
OP
OP

Fordskeptic

First Name
Chevy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Chevy, toyota, honda, jeep
Not a lot of Chevy fans on a forum about Ford, who'da thunk that??

The Silverado's touted up to 400 mile range, fast charging and ground-up design, $50k starting price and planned early 2024 production start piqued my interest initially....considering I don't expect to take delivery of a lightning before late 2023. I will check out the Silverado reveal, but my interest has waned considerably.

astricklin

First Name
Andrew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
99 Mercury mountaineer
I'd still order and then if the Silverado is a better deal for you and you're willing to wait then cancel your order or just don't buy it once it arrives at the dealership

RavenYZF-R6

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tacoma
I’ll keep an eye on them and probably do another refundable pre order just to have the option.

Sgt Beavis

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Wrangler Rubicon and 2018 Mini Cooper S Count
Occupation
overpaid computer nerd.
There is one reason I would consider a Sierra EV. Both Ford and GM are customers of mine but with one big difference. I get massive commission checks from my dealings with GM. The only thing I get from Ford is a waste of my time.

If I didn't like the products so much, I would have stopped buying Ford a long time ago.
Sponsored