Sponsored

XLT with LED Reflector Lighting -- what LED bulbs to buy for the fog, rear taillights and backup lights ?

OP
OP

draggam01

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Ford F-150 Powerboost XLT
Occupation
retired
Those are 33" tires with a 3.5" ReadyLift. They fit without rubbing, barely lol.
That is great! I want to upgrade but was worried about rubbing. I will keep ReadyLift in mind.
Sponsored

OP
OP

draggam01

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
retired

Graygoose2021

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150
Occupation
Sales
Why 2 yellow 2 red, or are you talking TOTAL for both sides.

You have to add on load resistors to the turn signals
total. ok, so they do still need resistors.
Thanks

4x4TruckLEDs.com

Gold Sponsor
First Name
Adam
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.4x4TruckLEDs.com
Vehicles
2018 Raptor & 2021 Bronco Outer Banks
Occupation
Drug Dealer of the LED World

KissMyAsthma

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Ford F-150 XLT Heritage
total. ok, so they do still need resistors.
Thanks
I'm not trying to take business away from 4x4truckleds.com but you can most definitely turn off the 'bulb out' test using Forscan and it removes the hyperflash. I have done it in my 2023 F-150 XLT Heritage Edition. I have the LED Reflector headlights for low and high beam. I have the LED reverse light built into the BLIS, but had Halogen brake and turn signals in the rear and Halogen turn signals in the front. After adjusting through Forscan, I installed LEDs all around and don't have the hyperflash issue and I am not using load resistors.

I recommend if you aren't techy and don't want to get involved with Forscan settings, to get the load resistors. They're easy to use and are plug and play and do the job well.

Sponsored

SpaceWhiteF150

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150
I added load resistors and still have hyper flash, you either need a larger resistor than what I installed or the truck is smart enough to recognize that there is a resistor.

Eighthtry

First Name
Boyd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 F150 XLT
Occupation
Retired
You honestly have to look because your headlights could be Halogen reflector OR LED Reflector.

For example, my 2023 F150 XLT had LED Reflector lamps but LED rears since I have the BLIS Package.

So depends on how your individual truck is configured because it could be ANYTHING.

There are 3 styles of headlights

Halogen Reflector
LED Reflector
LED Projector

And then a bunch of tail lights as well

Halogen
LED
LED w/BLIS
I have a 2023 XLT with LED reflectors. Best headlights I have EVER had on anything I ever drove. Sharp cutoffs, which further concentrate the high beams. Do NOT change! You will not be happy if you compare stocks to change.

Your front fogs are probably LED's as well.

I wanted to change my rears to LED. I took the rears off to find out what I had, which were halogen. I had no access to reverse or side marker lights.

I called diode dynamics. They verified I had no access to the above. They sold three different brightness levels for LED tails. I ordered the brightest they had. I was test fitting to make sure the bulbs were working before I installed. I have learned in my old age....and they worked.

I was about to install resistors when I noticed that the bulbs were not hyper flashing. Checked the front. They were not hyper flashing. Rechecked about half dozen times. Got the wife out to check. No hyper flash. What was hyper flashing were the turn signal indicators inside the truck. I decided I could live that so did not install the resistors. The inside hyper flash was not obnoxious. That was a nice surprise.

I don't know if it was the higher current draw on the rear LEDs that killed the hyper flash, but it was a nice surprise.

Diode Dynamics knows their stuff.

4x4TruckLEDs.com

Gold Sponsor
First Name
Adam
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.4x4TruckLEDs.com
Vehicles
2018 Raptor & 2021 Bronco Outer Banks
Occupation
Drug Dealer of the LED World
I have a 2023 XLT with LED reflectors. Best headlights I have EVER had on anything I ever drove. Sharp cutoffs, which further concentrate the high beams. Do NOT change! You will not be happy if you compare stocks to change.

I wanted to change my rears to LED. I took the rears off to find out what I had, which were halogen. I had no access to reverse or side marker lights.

I called diode dynamics. They verified I had no access to the above. They sold three different brightness levels for LED tails. I ordered the brightest they had. I was test fitting to make sure the bulbs were working before I installed. I have learned in my old age....and they worked.

I was about to install resistors when I noticed that the bulbs were not hyper flashing. Checked the front. They were not hyper flashing. Rechecked about half dozen times. Got the wife out to check. No hyper flash. What was hyper flashing were the turn signal indicators inside the truck. I decided I could live that so did not install the resistors. The inside hyper flash was not obnoxious. That was a nice surprise.

I don't know if it was the higher current draw on the rear LEDs that killed the hyper flash, but it was a nice surprise.

I beg to differ but that's my opinion. I've driven everything and can say that the LED reflectors are not as great as aftermarket (which is why we upgraded them). The LED Projectors are pretty good but again aftermarket is going to be brighter in our tests and my own experience through lots of Fords in the last few years.

Hyperflashing doesn't happen AT the bulb, it happens on the dash because the load on the circuit isn't what the computer things it should be. So it thinks a bulb is out and the resistance causes the blinker circuit to flash faster (since it doesn't have a load now to account for the extra resistance).

OP
OP

draggam01

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
retired
I beg to differ but that's my opinion. I've driven everything and can say that the LED reflectors are not as great as aftermarket (which is why we upgraded them). The LED Projectors are pretty good but again aftermarket is going to be brighter in our tests and my own experience through lots of Fords in the last few years.

Hyperflashing doesn't happen AT the bulb, it happens on the dash because the load on the circuit isn't what the computer things it should be. So it thinks a bulb is out and the resistance causes the blinker circuit to flash faster (since it doesn't have a load now to account for the extra resistance).
I am a newb. Sorry if this doesn't make sense. I have the reflective LED's. You mentioned going aftermarket was the way to go. Does that mean you replace the whole headlight housing or can you install brighter LED's into the existing factory housings?

Dale B

First Name
Dale
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F150(on order), SL500, S430, Boxster, 930, CJ5
Occupation
Retired

I am glad to hear your opinion about your LED reflector headlights. I had a 2023 XL on order and canceled it when I read that the 2024 would have LED reflectors as standard. I reordered a 2024 to get better headlights among other options that are now standard. I haven’t seen the headlights myself so I am glad to hear your evaluation. Mine is scheduled to be built 01/29/24.
Sponsored