Sponsored

Powerboost not designed for use below -40C?!

Snakebitten

First Name
Bruce
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 F150 KingRanch Powerboost
If you could go into eagle eye mode, try to spot this Hybrid Battery Coolant Temperature Sensor? It appears to be along the frame rail near one of the cab fasteners?

Ford F-150 Powerboost not designed for use below -40C?! Screenshot_20230309_214436_OneDrive

Ford F-150 Powerboost not designed for use below -40C?! Screenshot_20230309_214515_OneDrive

There's 2 lines, inflow & return, although I don't know which hosts this temp sensor.

But yea, maybe a little pipe insulation around those lines to keep that sensor just a few degrees warmer than otherwise?
Sponsored

OP
OP

Burlworld

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F-150 XLT Powerboost
If you could go into eagle eye mode, try to spot this Hybrid Battery Coolant Temperature Sensor? It appears to be along the frame rail near one of the cab fasteners?

Screenshot_20230309_214436_OneDrive.jpg

Screenshot_20230309_214515_OneDrive.jpg

There's 2 lines, inflow & return, although I don't know which hosts this temp sensor.

But yea, maybe a little pipe insulation around those lines to keep that sensor just a few degrees warmer than otherwise?
I'm not positive that the fault is coming from the coolant temp sensor. From the Ford hybrid/ev rep:

"That fault sets when the thermistor internal to the HV battery detects it being below -40."

I dunno, maybe it's just semantics and they are in fact talking about the coolant temp sensor.

Snakebitten

First Name
Bruce
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
I wouldn't doubt that there is more than just that simple coolant temp sensor in that line. So you are probably right.

I can tell you that there a big cache of Hybrid Battery Pids available for you to monitor though.
At least you might be able to get a fair warning that the trigger-temp is being approached.

I'll look regarding temperature pids specifically and see if there isn't a direct pid for that "thermistor"

I don't currently monitor any of the temps, but do monitor the various current, loads, charging rates of the Hybrid side of the truck.

Ford F-150 Powerboost not designed for use below -40C?! 20230309_223837

Snakebitten

First Name
Bruce
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
These look promising?

Ford F-150 Powerboost not designed for use below -40C?! Screenshot_20230309_224210

Sponsored

PatchManager

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 F150 Platinum 4x4 SuperCrew
Occupation
Firmware Engineer
The temperature range for automotive grade semiconductors (chips) is -40C to +105C, which applies to all automotive grade chips, not just Ford. That means there are many components that are on the verge of not functioning at -40C. In most cases, chips designed to operate down to -40C do have some margin, so there isn't a hard stop like you are seeing.

Snakebitten

First Name
Bruce
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Interesting, thanks for that. So it does appear to have a sensor within the pack itself. Are you just using Forscan to access these values?
Those pids listed were in the OBDLink app and part of the Ford/Lincoln/Mercury pid package add-on.

I'm sure other software programs have similar pids, but I'm not certain.

Sponsored

alkoser

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 F150 XL 5.0 157" HDPP
If I lived and worked in the Yukon where it goes to -40 C, I would stay far away from any new model year truck, especially with brand new drivetrain tech. I just wouldn't trust its reliability, given my experience.

Knowing that Ford is only interested in selling trucks, I doubt you'd have luck with a reasonable response from them about the battery issue in -40 C temps. But like someone else said, most electronics don't even work at that level so it's not really Ford's fault for not considering every possible edge use case. Good luck in resolving this.

OP
OP

Burlworld

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F-150 XLT Powerboost
If I lived and worked in the Yukon where it goes to -40 C, I would stay far away from any new model year truck, especially with brand new drivetrain tech. I just wouldn't trust its reliability, given my experience.

Knowing that Ford is only interested in selling trucks, I doubt you'd have luck with a reasonable response from them about the battery issue in -40 C temps. But like someone else said, most electronics don't even work at that level so it's not really Ford's fault for not considering every possible edge use case. Good luck in resolving this.
I know it's hard to believe in South Carolina, but -40 in Canada is not a huge outlier. Seeing as though this is a technical limit known by Ford, not informing potential customers of it is grossly negligent.

Snakebitten

First Name
Bruce
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Are Hybrids common in the arctic?
I really don't know. I live in the tropics.

ryanc111

First Name
Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Leadfoot Powerboost
I know it's hard to believe in South Carolina, but -40 in Canada is not a huge outlier. Seeing as though this is a technical limit known by Ford, not informing potential customers of it is grossly negligent.
100% this.
Sponsored