Sponsored

Winter Outside Parking

RCR001

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F-150
parking outside keeps it cold and dues not allow rust to activate, warming it up at night is more likely to activate rust, i park out side wash frequently and never have a rust issue.

bobstar

First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 f150 Lariat
Occupation
Retired
Wife and I have a garage but it’s just a few inches too short (garage isn’t the only place that’s a problem) so I have to park the truck outside. Curious what others in similar situations are doing to protect their truck? I’m planning on getting ceramic coating but want to try and protect from rust and other damages as much as possible. Utah winters aren’t necessarily “harsh” but snow and frost is the norm and roads are constantly salty.
I raised my garage 1’ when I got a super duty in 1999, up and down the same day!

chrisp993

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'21 F150 Platinum, '15 Audi S4, Spec Iron Mustang
no rust but corrosion which is just as bad
Disagree - when iron corrodes the iron oxide (rust) flakes off, exposing fresh metal, which rusts more and ... pretty soon your rocker panel is gone ? When aluminum corrodes, the aluminum oxide forms a thin, hard layer that doesn't flake off and is bonded to the underlying metal - it's inert, doesn't react further and actually protects the metal from further corrosion. Check out: Does Aluminum Rust

travekinman

First Name
Marcel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
1998 F150, 2010 BMW 325i wagon, 2009 Jeep Wrangler
Disagree - when iron corrodes the iron oxide (rust) flakes off, exposing fresh metal, which rusts more and ... pretty soon your rocker panel is gone ? When aluminum corrodes, the aluminum oxide forms a thin, hard layer that doesn't flake off and is bonded to the underlying metal - it's inert, doesn't react further and actually protects the metal from further corrosion. Check out: Does Aluminum Rust
Aluminum can and does corrode all the way through, and can be as much of a problem as rust (not just cosmetic). I think the composition of the aluminum and the type of corrosive chemicals are factors but what is what I don't know. That said, I believe that you are right to some extent in that it isn't quite the "cancer" that rust is to iron.

this website discusses it on aircrafts: Aircraft Corrosion - AOPA
here are some images: https://teslamotorsclub.com/tmc/attachments/img_1029-jpg.52867/
and https://teslamotorsclub.com/tmc/attachments/rust-jpg.52866/

Ford F-150 Winter Outside Parking rust
Ford F-150 Winter Outside Parking IMG_1029

I think the product used on roads today beyond the basic rock salt is highly corrosive and can affect vehicles. Having said that different regions use different snow melting chemical compositions on their roads based on location, road surface and temperatures.... Again, I'm by far no expert on this subject, hence my interest to learn more.

Thanks to all.

Sponsored

Eric

First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150 XL STX
Science feels good man

Eric

First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150 XL STX
Aluminum can and does corrode all the way through, and can be as much of a problem as rust (not just cosmetic). I think the composition of the aluminum and the type of corrosive chemicals are factors but what is what I don't know. That said, I believe that you are right to some extent in that it isn't quite the "cancer" that rust is to iron.

this website discusses it on aircrafts: Aircraft Corrosion - AOPA
here are some images: https://teslamotorsclub.com/tmc/attachments/img_1029-jpg.52867/
and https://teslamotorsclub.com/tmc/attachments/rust-jpg.52866/

rust.jpg
IMG_1029.jpg

I think the product used on roads today beyond the basic rock salt is highly corrosive and can affect vehicles. Having said that different regions use different snow melting chemical compositions on their roads based on location, road surface and temperatures.... Again, I'm by far no expert on this subject, hence my interest to learn more.

Thanks to all.
I spoke too soon, science may not feel as good as initially thought. Thanks for that very useful information

Pedaldude

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2001 Lincoln Navigator, 2021 Ford F-150
One of the benefits of steel construction is: properly designed and cared for; it will last indefinitely.

Aluminum and Magnesium used in vehicles are nearly always alloys and the alloyed elements start to react over time. Magnesium parts especially, have a shelf life and for some helicopter components even if the part was never used; if it’s past its expiration date, it’s junk.

I was using an aluminum stew pot for the condensate drained from my home A/C so that I could use the water for houseplants because of our salty tap water. Despite it effectively being distilled water, the pot rotted through after a year. Maybe I should have installed some zinc anodes in my watering pot!

There’s going to be a learning curve when it comes to ownership, maintenance and repair with the new materials. Luckily the aviation and marine industry has been there first.

Who knows, maybe the next F150 will have a carbon fiber body!
Sponsored