Sponsored

Why is it taking so long to obtain a VIN #

• Thread starter Deleted member 4000
  • Start date
  • Watchers 0

Deleted member 4000

I'm having trouble trying to understand why is it taking so long to get a VIN # for my F150 truck that I placed the order back in Jan. and now its May and still No Vin# so I can track my build. Can some one Help?
Sponsored

Wolf Man

First Name
WolfMan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150 Lariat
Occupation
Retired
I ordered mine on November 4. No idea when VIN was created but I asked for and got it from the dealer on April 8. Blend Date was 5/1 and actual build date was 5/2. ETA End Date is 5/24 and as far as anyone can tell it has not been shipped. I wouldn't switch dealers or orders it will just start the process over. Dealers have no control over what Ford does.

OP
OP

Deleted member 4000

I ordered mine on November 4. No idea when VIN was created but I asked for and got it from the dealer on April 8. Blend Date was 5/1 and actual build date was 5/2. ETA End Date is 5/24 and as far as anyone can tell it has not been shipped. I wouldn't switch dealers or orders it will just start the process over. Dealers have no control over what Ford does.
Thanks I will look into trying a different dealership.

Wolf Man

First Name
WolfMan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150 Lariat
Occupation
Retired
Just wanted to add that I'm frustrated too that I ordered in November and it was just built beginning of May.

I've looked at other dealer websites through the Ford the B&P and Car Gurus and never found what I wanted that is why I factory ordered in the first place. I have looked many times at both and even decided I would take a truck with more than I wanted just not a whole lot more and certainly not less lol. I ordered a Lariat 502A 2WD with the 5.0, B&O Unleashed, The Fold Down Tray Table, the Lockable Underseat Storage, Wheel Well Liners, Co-Pilot 2.0 Act Prep, and the Smoked Quartz. All of those options except maybe the 5.0 and Active Prep have not been available at certain times and usually it's 2 or more items that were not available, sometimes just 1. So I know that has had a lot do with why mine took so long to get built. Of course with the chip situation my truck could very will be in Ramp 59 purgatory or could show up at the dealer any day. Dealer has checked more than once and they have no more knowledge than I do about the truck's status.

Yes I've thought of canceling the order and ordering a 2022 but that is a guaranteed price increase just because the price goes up every model year and even if they start building them at the end of the year there will probably still be a delay because of the chip shortage and they will build stock orders before retail because they need the 2022s on dealer lots. This 2021 MY they didn't even start building the retail orders until the 3rd week of November and no doubt it will be same for the '22s and maybe not even until January. I think they normally stop taking current MY orders in May or June. Then they start building stock orders end of July or August after they retool for the next MY but I think I seen a few days ago they are building 2021s until September. Doubt there will be many changes for 2022s maybe a some paint color changes and pkg combinations and of course the additions they are making for Job 2 adding the scales sometime this summer, so if they even retool for next MY I don't see them shutting down more than 2 weeks. Now all of that is speculation but I'm basing it on what I have read has happened in previous years and what has been reported by others for the '21s & '22s but basically right now it's a cluster F with chip shortage, seat foam shortages and who knows what else? So we'll just have to wait and see what happens.

Whew I'm actually out of breath! :ROFLMAO:

Last edited:

Wolf Man

First Name
WolfMan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150 Lariat
Occupation
Retired
Thanks I will look into trying a different dealership.
Okay Good Luck! I hope you can get the truck you want! I am thinking your VIN should populate any day now on that one from January if the dealer actually placed the order, no reason they shouldn't have. When did you last check with the dealer?

Sponsored

ColoradoHunter

First Name
Dennis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150 King Ranch 4x4
Occupation
Retired
I'm having trouble trying to understand why is it taking so long to get a VIN # for my F150 truck that I placed the order back in Jan. and now its May and still No Vin# so I can track my build. Can some one Help?
I placed my order on 3/29, 5 weeks later no vin. I found out through the other forum that the dealer had never placed the order. Long story short I placed my order at a different dealer on 5/7, a Friday and had a vin and order number on that Tuesday. The widow sticker posted last Friday and I have a blend date of 6/18. The dealers are very able to get the info. In fact after hearing what had happened to me at the first dealer, the second dealers sales manager let me watch him order the truck and submit it to Ford. We got an instant verification from Ford that they had received the order. Press your dealer to get the info.

RedTXV

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 SQ Limited
Damn, that's a long time. I'm going on 6 weeks with no VIN, and annoyed.

Tosh

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150 Lariat PB
Occupation
Re-Tired Bicycle Mechanic
ordered 3/27, still no VIN, 6 different stories from the dealership - they finally told me it'll start building after 6/1.

My wife and I have decided we don't need this truck, and I'm losing interest. If I ever get a call from the dealer telling me it's here, I'll decided at that point whether I want to buy it or not.

meantime I'm gonna get new tires for my Jeep.

spawner

First Name
Mar
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F-150
Occupation
Designer
In the same boat, placed an order on Jan. 28... kicker is placed the order same day with my brother and my brother got his truck already, random draw.

Tosh

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150 Lariat PB
Occupation
Re-Tired Bicycle Mechanic
If you don’t want it, flip it!
The way things are going you can likely sell it for more than you’ll pay for it.

That’s what your dealer is going to do if you decline delivery...
She's looking at a class B+ or class C RV. I told her if she can find one for the same price as the truck + trailer, then we just might do that.
Sponsored