Which tune for ‘22 3.5?

flynnstone

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
‘22 F150
I’ve read a good amount about the performance tunes from 5 star, and am curious if anyone with the latest Gen f150 has any feedback they can provide? Is the difference between stock, 87 and 91 octane tune noticeable? Also how did you tune these now? I heard you have to access the computer under the hood?
I don’t tow. Just looking at a little more performance
Sponsored

superfordman

First Name
Troy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 F150 Lariat 501A
Occupation
Precision Ag Guru
No complaints whatsoever so far with my 91 performance tune on my 3.5L. I would try the 87 performance tune, but you're right, you have to program under the hood and isolate the PCM to do so, and so for that reason I haven't tried it out yet. Plus I get slightly better mileage, or so I tell myself, when I run 91. You'll definitely gain more performance for sure. I'm excited to throw my stock wheels and tires back on and see how it acts then.

OP
OP

flynnstone

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
‘22 F150
No complaints whatsoever so far with my 91 performance tune on my 3.5L. I would try the 87 performance tune, but you're right, you have to program under the hood and isolate the PCM to do so, and so for that reason I haven't tried it out yet. Plus I get slightly better mileage, or so I tell myself, when I run 91. You'll definitely gain more performance for sure. I'm excited to throw my stock wheels and tires back on and see how it acts then.
Which tuner did you go with for your 3.5?

9663mu

First Name
Chad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Iconic F150
I did a JB4 on my 2022 ECO . still on map 1. Nice little boost down low and little more top end. With 91 really only thing here , it does ok . No issues , knock on wood!

Sponsored

OP
OP

flynnstone

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
‘22 F150
I did a JB4 on my 2022 ECO . still on map 1. Nice little boost down low and little more top end. With 91 really only thing here , it does ok . No issues , knock on wood!
Thanks for the feedback. It sounds like your results are pretty marginal. Was it worth almost $1k to you? That’s what I’m trying to decide. Reports seems mixed on the 21+ trucks

9663mu

First Name
Chad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Iconic F150
Thanks for the feedback. It sounds like your results are pretty marginal. Was it worth almost $1k to you? That’s what I’m trying to decide. Reports seems mixed on the 21+ trucks
I believe with the harness and everything it was about $600. Regardless it helped bring trucks performance back to stock or little more then stock after my heavy wheel and tire set up.
Is it worth it? lol not sure mate. but i tell you what that down low torque makes it very sports car like. I'm also on Map 1 and have heard Map 2 is as noticeable going from map 0 to 1

Csu87

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 F150 3.5 EB Lariat. 2021 G70 3.3
heres jb4 vs 5star results for me.

ive since gotten slightly better times on the e50 tune from 5star.

https://www.f150gen14.com/forum/threads/5-star-tune-on-2022-ecoboost-compared-to-jb4.15012/

TLDR, 5star is the better tune since it also tunes the tranny. i never tested JB4 w/ 5 star tranny tuning, but id imagine itd give you solid results as well. The biggest limiting factor with the JB4 was the inability to tune the tranny, which is needed to overcome the stock performance of the tranny with rough, slow shifting, especially in lower gears. And then for 1/4 mile runs, you need the limiter removed or youll bounce off that as well.

9663mu

First Name
Chad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Iconic F150
heres jb4 vs 5star results for me.

ive since gotten slightly better times on the e50 tune from 5star.

https://www.f150gen14.com/forum/threads/5-star-tune-on-2022-ecoboost-compared-to-jb4.15012/

TLDR, 5star is the better tune since it also tunes the tranny. i never tested JB4 w/ 5 star tranny tuning, but id imagine itd give you solid results as well. The biggest limiting factor with the JB4 was the inability to tune the tranny, which is needed to overcome the stock performance of the tranny with rough, slow shifting, especially in lower gears. And then for 1/4 mile runs, you need the limiter removed or youll bounce off that as well.
Good info and feed back actually , i don't see alot on 21+ ...These new 3.5 ECOs run very well.
As far as 1/4 mile goes , I'm afraid I'm a little told old for that now 😁

Chaos150

First Name
Patrick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F-150
Occupation
Operator
I just installed my 5star tune about 5 min ago. Haven’t driven the truck yet to see what kind of gains I got. But I’m in south Texas and I got 87 perf/tow. 93 perf/tow. 93 performance. I uploaded the 93 performance.

Sponsored

OP
OP

flynnstone

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
‘22 F150
I just installed my 5star tune about 5 min ago. Haven’t driven the truck yet to see what kind of gains I got. But I’m in south Texas and I got 87 perf/tow. 93 perf/tow. 93 performance. I uploaded the 93 performance.
Curious to get your thoughts on how it runs with the performance tune. What year is your truck?

HammaMan

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 302a PB, Mach E GTPE
being able to delete the 1 to 3 skip shift is a big drivability improvement IMO, especially on the PB where it's not uncommon to find the ICE kick in during that shift ruining an otherwise flawless experience.

Chaos150

First Name
Patrick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F-150
Occupation
Operator
So just driving the truck from home to work. Truck is definitely different. Chirpy and wants to really move. Definitely saw my fuel mileage gauge act better.

Vick!

First Name
Ron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 F-150 XLT
How is it running today? I have been interested in doing my 3.5 even though im already impressed with the power, too,I live in SA. Does anyone know if this will void your factory any Ford warranty?
Sponsored