First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Lariat 502a PB FX4 5.5'
Occupation
Civil Engineer
I live in a residential neighborhood in a suburb of Raleigh, work from home and most of my trips are 5 miles or less during the week. Most of the time I'm in Eco and take it easy trying to get the best MPG I can. The entrance to my neighborhood is downhill towards my house so the PB kicks into electric and I can easily drive around the neighborhood without the ICE kicking on. Because I'm usually in moderate traffic I can't really use the trucks power so I just slow roll it everywhere. I haven't owned the truck long enough to determine if there are any real benefits to driving in Eco vs Normal. I have used Sport a few times to try out 0-60 runs but don't see myself using it much. I have done some gravel driving but left it in Regular with traction off so I could have some fun but that's about it.

I should add that I have no idea if Eco mode is doing anything to help MPG's as I haven't tested Eco vs Normal in similar conditions....and probably never will.
Sponsored

Last edited:

JJ_Tex

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150 Platinum Powerboost
Eco mode, at least for the next 3 months while I have this stupid tracker app on my phone for insurance purposes. Even in Eco I'm still scoring a "needs improvement" on my acceleration and high speed scores.

After I can delete the app, I'm going to work Sport mode into the rotation.

Jus Cruisin

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 GMC Sierra Denali Ultimate 4X4 - 6.2l
Occupation
Very retired
I played with modes for the first couple of days. Now it's just normal.

Oxford_Powerboost

First Name
Austin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 F150 Lariat 5.0
On my current car, I use normal day to day because northern Virginia requires occasional quick response lol. I use eco on longer trips. I presume it’ll be the same once I get my truck

Sponsored

imnuts

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'21 502A Powerboost 4×4
Occupation
Facilities Engineer
Normal for day to day, Eco for highway travel, Sport when I want to have fun. Others may be used when the weather changes this winter.

Vulnox

First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F-150 Lariat 502A, 3.5L PowerBoost
I am in normal 99% of the time, only exception will be in winter, the slippery/snow mode I feel is a big help when we get icy/snow covered roads, and it pairs amazingly well with 4 Auto. At least it did in my 2019. My 2019 in 4 Auto with Snow/Slippery mode was such an improvement over my 2017 in 4 High (no drive modes at the time). I expect the 2021 to be as good if not better still.

Otherwise drive modes don't do much for me. Sport isn't necessary and Eco is nice but I just wasn't seeing an obvious difference in my definitely limited testing. I have tried them all except rock crawl since that wants to engage the locker and 4 Low, but one day I suspect I will have reason to try that out off-road.

Snakebitten

First Name
Bruce
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 F150 KingRanch Powerboost
Just FYI for folks with their first 3.5 Ecoboost (Powerboost).... The longterm health of the motor WILL be affected by it never getting to open its wastegates full-travel. Or put another way, it's a really good idea, especially for trucks that mostly experience short trips, to take the truck for a long enough ride to get the oil up to full temp. And then find a safe place to go full boost.
It's also a good idea to shorten your oil change interval if your truck doesn't get opportunities to run at the designed oil temps because it will be contaminated at an increased rate. If you go through the effort to get oil analysis reports I believe this will be confirmed.

The guys who tow with their Ecoboost are actually accomplishing all this without trying. These motors love to be worked. There are reasons they actually prosper from it.

Sponsored

RandyNC

First Name
Randy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F-150 Lariat PowerBoost FX4 7.2kW Pro Power
Occupation
Tech Director
I mostly use Normal because it is the default it seems. Tried Eco a few times and Sport for fun as others have stated. My truck does not remember the last setting and always reverts to Normal between drives. Maybe I can change that but haven't had it long enough to figure it out.

saluki1969

First Name
Ron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2008 Ford Mustang GT500, 2021 F150 SC PB Rapid Red
Occupation
Retired
With 2400 miles on my Powerboost I am averaging 24.4 mpg using the normal mode. Am planning a couple hundred mile trip this weekend and may try eco mode for the excursion. Almost all miles to date have been back and forth to work and occasional trip to grocery store or doctor appointments. These trips are usually about 12 miles one way. Only exception was a 250 mile trip several weeks after picking up the truck in July. With fuel cost rising from $2.08 a gallon in late 2020 to the current $3.49 now, any savings is appreciated. And it is forecast to get worse.

Notallthosewhowanderarelo

First Name
Thomas
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Ford F150 Powerboost
Occupation
Engineer
I am usually in Eco mode. I wish you could change the default mode when you start the truck.

All you get is a few minutes timer that asks if you want to go back into the last mode.

ATLalien

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F150 Powerboost
"Normal" 90% of the time. A little sport mode here and there for fun. Tow/Haul mode I use only steep grades while towing. I've found that driving carefully, I can almost match mileage from Eco mode in Normal and still have all power available if needed.

Pete6114

First Name
Pete
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150, 2023 Lincoln Aviator
Occupation
Retired Ford employee
Normal. Never even tried anything else besides Tow Mode. No need for ECO with cylinder deactivation. To much crap build into vehicles now...
Sponsored