Sponsored

What kind of MPG mileage are you getting with your Powerboost?

Who are you

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F150 Powerboost
It's possible. A quick fingernail check has a slightly more pronounced groove a the edge of the drivers front rotor but nothing severe.

I am taking it in again next week and will have them check it out and see if the pistons are retracting as they should.

Thanks for the idea
Sponsored

Jus Cruisin

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 GMC Sierra Denali Ultimate 4X4 - 6.2l
Occupation
Very retired
It's possible. A quick fingernail check has a slightly more pronounced groove a the edge of the drivers front rotor but nothing severe.

I am taking it in again next week and will have them check it out and see if the pistons are retracting as they should.

Thanks for the idea
If it's dragging, you won't be able to hold your hand on the wheel after driving. It'll be smokin hot.

imnuts

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'21 502A Powerboost 4×4
Occupation
Facilities Engineer
I wish I was getting those numbers.

As far as EPA MPG goes, Manufacturers need to be held accountable for misrepresented numbers. They are literally being rewarded to lie. If other items we bought were 25% different then stated the community would lose their collective minds.

I have had a Duramax, Tundra, and Sequia all of which meet or exceed EPA numbers. Every year Ford has multiple lawsuits for misrepresented MPGs. Ford appears to be the worst offender.

To be honest I don't mind the transmission shudder or other things as the truck has nice tech and is comfortable, but if I pay 70k it better do what you say it is going to do.
The EPA does do periodic spot checks to ensure numbers are relatively accurate. Unless you're performing the EPA drive cycle following the test protocols, you don't know if the truck gets the listed mileage or not, REGARDLESS of how your real world fuel economy is. I'm fairly certain that the EPA drive cycle is on level ground, the maximum speed for the highway portion is (maybe was) 55 mph, and I believe the use a standardized 93 octane ethanol-free gasoline. There are likely compensation factors for temperature/altitude, but testing is probably even specified to be in a certain temperature range too.

There are so many things that can affect fuel economy is nearly impossible to say if what one person is getting is reasonable or not. Temperature, wind direction and speed, fuel type, ethanol content, terrain, speed, HVAC settings, inclement weather conditions, traffic, traffic lights/stop signs, tire pressures, tires, vehicle modifications, and use of cruise or not are all factors that will affect fuel economy before even getting to the person behind the wheel. Add in the hybrid system and you add in another variable for the Powerboost. The only way to really say if your fuel economy is good/bad would be if you're coming from a similarly spec'd and outfitted 3.5EB F-150, and even then if you did all highway driving before, you may not see an increase.

Who are you

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F150 Powerboost
I am all for the understanding that you might not always get epa estimates, but come on, there shouldn't be a debate on this unless you think I'm driving into a head wind uphill, pedal smashed at all times.

At this point I have driven in town, on highways, up and down mountains. Avg at this point 16.5 In town driving 14.5, highway - depends but 18-19. Unless my foot is of the accelerator my MPG has never gone above 25, and usually is closer to 15. Add in the Hybrid and there are a lot of times that number should be much higher.

I run the recommended premium brand 93 octane. Have reset mileage a few times and it just doesn't get better. More and more people are having the same issue.

In the end i think there are issues with some of these trucks that Ford is not being helpful with. There are enough screenshots and other info to support 85-90 % of these tru ks get decent to great mpg, the other 10-15 are all saying a similar story about way less then everyone else.

Having said that, if thats the way the truck is, let's not defend Fords practices of inflating numbers, do a quick search and they have the most lawsuits about inaccurate MPG ratings.

Oxford_Powerboost

First Name
Austin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 F150 Lariat 5.0
I am all for the understanding that you might not always get epa estimates, but come on, there shouldn't be a debate on this unless you think I'm driving into a head wind uphill, pedal smashed at all times.

At this point I have driven in town, on highways, up and down mountains. Avg at this point 16.5 In town driving 14.5, highway - depends but 18-19. Unless my foot is of the accelerator my MPG has never gone above 25, and usually is closer to 15. Add in the Hybrid and there are a lot of times that number should be much higher.

I run the recommended premium brand 93 octane. Have reset mileage a few times and it just doesn't get better. More and more people are having the same issue.

In the end i think there are issues with some of these trucks that Ford is not being helpful with. There are enough screenshots and other info to support 85-90 % of these tru ks get decent to great mpg, the other 10-15 are all saying a similar story about way less then everyone else.

Having said that, if thats the way the truck is, let's not defend Fords practices of inflating numbers, do a quick search and they have the most lawsuits about inaccurate MPG ratings.
It’s hard to say ford is inflating numbers when you yourself admit that 90% (I think higher) of owners are getting at or near EPA when driving in such conditions that the EPA tests (keep in mind the EPA highway test averages 46mph!).

For what it’s worth, my last tank was 23.3 hand calculated to include 2 three hour trips (cruise at 60-70) and a decent amount of in town/suburban driving. So I don’t believe they’re inflating numbers here. I’m also pretty conscious about how to appropriately drive a hybrid for fuel economy (maximize regen, anticipating potential slow downs, accelerate briskly, etc)

Sponsored

FrankThompson

First Name
Frank
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'07 Pontiac Solstice GXP, '22 F150 Lariat PB
Occupation
Solutions Architect
...I’m also pretty conscious about how to appropriately drive a hybrid for fuel economy (maximize regen, anticipating potential slow downs, accelerate briskly, etc)
Curious, do you have a link to a video or site on the best way to drive a hybrid? This is my first hybrid, so would be interesting in reading more.

I've read on the "pulse" method at speed, but based on my experience in the truck I don't think this would work well for this type of hybrid. I also never would have guessed accelerate briskly, though if you are on the ICE, it makes sense. I've been trying to stay in electric mode whenever I accelerate, even though it is painfully slow to accelerate in that mode.

Tomatoboy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2018 Ford Explorer XLT, 2017 Ford Escape SE, F-150
(keep in mind the EPA highway test averages 46mph!)
For those curious about the test cycle details, they are available here, click the “test details“ tab: https://www.fueleconomy.gov/feg/fe_test_schedules.shtml

Honestly, it’s pretty enlightening, because once you see the details of the test cycle, it’s easy to compare it to your driving and see if it remotely matches. Most of us don’t drive like the EPA city or highway cycle. The test isn’t really designed to replicate perfectly varying driving styles, it’s to provide a baseline to compare two different vehicles on an identical test. Unless you drive the cycle, your mileage will literally vary.

Personally, with the various Fords I’ve owned and driven, there’s never been a consistent pattern of if they were over or under EPA cycle estimates. I’ve had vehicles that consistently beat their EPA estimates (my Fusion could beat the highway estimate by 3-5MPG), I had vehicles that got exactly EPA estimate, and vehicles that I never managed to get the EPA estimate (I’m looking at you, Explorer).

Tomatoboy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2018 Ford Explorer XLT, 2017 Ford Escape SE, F-150
Ford F-150 What kind of MPG mileage are you getting with your Powerboost? 91ED6AAA-D22F-4C0B-B11A-A013918B0315

actually, I forgot I could just attach an image, here’s the cycle parameters

Oxford_Powerboost

First Name
Austin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 F150 Lariat 5.0
Curious, do you have a link to a video or site on the best way to drive a hybrid? This is my first hybrid, so would be interesting in reading more.

I've read on the "pulse" method at speed, but based on my experience in the truck I don't think this would work well for this type of hybrid. I also never would have guessed accelerate briskly, though if you are on the ICE, it makes sense. I've been trying to stay in electric mode whenever I accelerate, even though it is painfully slow to accelerate in that mode.
The idea behind accelerating briskly as I understand it is to play to the efficiency of each propulsion method. Engines are good at working (accelerating). Yes they use fuel to do it, but they use the energy more efficiently during that time. Then use the electric motor for maintaining speed after accelerating.

If you accelerate very gingerly, it can be done on electric, but it uses a ton of power. By the time you’re at the speed you want, the battery is out of juice and the engine kicks on to charge it. If you’re at 40mph for instance, it seems to get about 16-17mpg during this due to the load of charging which it will likely be doing until you have to brake for the next red light. Then you accelerate on electric again which kills the battery once again. Rinse and repeat

Vs you accelerate on engine getting maybe 5-7mpg for only 15-20 seconds, then you can use electric mode cruising at 40mph which won’t use too much energy on flat ground and you can get a much further distance while getting infinite mpg.

Someone did do a blog post, let me see if I can find it.

Edit: found it here https://trukbed.com/how-to-drive-a-hybrid/

Who are you

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F150 Powerboost
Maybe they got it right on this truck and a blanket of Ford's mpg lawsuits are not relevant to this and its a more enmass issue with something not working correctly on these trucks, cant say for sure but I'm really frustrated.

What I can say, is there is enough owners that have had terrible mpg to warrant further investigation from Ford. The constant you don't know how to drive for MPG or a a hybrid is a BS statement. You don't know how people are driving. I mean even if it was driving habits on a hybrid they should still get slightly better economy than a ecoboost. The complaints I have saw typically show less than a regular ecoboost.

Feel free to recommend additional driving habits, but defending this the way people do is like they take it personally.

As you state you get pretty good mileage. I am getting worse mileage than a regular ecoboost. A Ford tech drove mine and said I'm getting the same MPG as he is, thing is he had a regular 2019 Ecoboost, lifted with 35's. How does that make logical sense?

Sponsored

imnuts

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'21 502A Powerboost 4×4
Occupation
Facilities Engineer
You don't know how people are driving. I mean even if it was driving habits on a hybrid they should still get slightly better economy than a ecoboost. The complaints I have saw typically show less than a regular ecoboost.

Feel free to recommend additional driving habits, but defending this the way people do is like they take it personally.

As you state you get pretty good mileage. I am getting worse mileage than a regular ecoboost. A Ford tech drove mine and said I'm getting the same MPG as he is, thing is he had a regular 2019 Ecoboost, lifted with 35's. How does that make logical sense?
You can't compare your fuel economy to anyone else's fuel economy, because as you stay in the first sentence quoted, you don't know how they're driving. You can only compare your fuel economy to your own driving. Unless you have/had a 3.5EB and made the same normal trips, you can't say your fuel economy is great or terrible with the hybrid. Just because one person does fine with a lifted truck with big tires doesn't mean everyone does. I'm sure if you search, you'll find the opposite is true.

The best thing you can do is look at the data at Fuelly.com and you'll see that the Powerboost is the most fuel efficient on average, and that none of the trucks are meeting their combined EPA rating. The Powerboost is further away from the EPA rating, but none of them are meeting it. I'm guessing that it is partially skewed right now because there is a full winter of data in, but not much as far as summer driving. It may come up with the warmer weather approaching, though I doubt it will come up that much.

Who are you

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F150 Powerboost
Not even sure why I trying here. You are ignoring literal examples and facts I have given on my truck and as others have pointed out on their trucks in other threads, forums, etc. Im not saying all trucks have this problem but enough for there to be concern.

Seems you guys are just here for one big circle jerk over a Ford nameplate. Anything other than how great it is, it's got to be you, you Debil.

And yes, I have driven the same stretch the mechanic had, guess 16 mpg avg is all I should expect. Should have never even tried the Ford community for help to figure it all out.

Snakebitten

First Name
Bruce
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 F150 KingRanch Powerboost
I find it so easy to get at least 20mpg no matter how roudy I get with the intoxicating ~600 lbs of torque, that folks getting 15, 16, or anything less than 20 does make me wonder if their truck has an issue.

If I drive "normal", with the average traffic flow, I'm basically guaranteed 23-24 mpg.
If I add in some frisky Powerboost moves to take advantage of space and time, I still will get 20+.

I'm fixing to trade this Platinum in for a 2022 KingRanch. I will KNOW exactly what to expect and so if it's less, I will be here to defend the folks that are frustrated.

Note: I live in flat coastal Texas. I burn only 93 octane. I have 8,9,10th gear locked out almost all the time. My average daily drive is rural start, into the big city. Congestion increasing as I make the 24 miles to the airport. (office) The reverse heading home.

Top speed is 55-60mph, with a good chunk of 45mph. And 2.5 miles each way of 35mph.

I do not hypermile. I do not accelerate slowly or even attempt to build speed in EV mode. EV mode is for cruising and decelerating only.

If I monitor the Hybrid Battery charge state in Forscan, I can milk the truck for extended EV miles by NOT letting it switch to EV mode at 53-54% charge, but rather force the truck to charge to 60% and then let it go to EV. When I make these kinds of analytical efforts, I can get the 24 mile trip into 24-25mpg guaranteed.

Great truck over the 12 months I've owned it. Sure hope I get another good one.

Very typical commute leg, about 1/2mile short of parking :

Ford F-150 What kind of MPG mileage are you getting with your Powerboost? 20220412_093203

imnuts

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'21 502A Powerboost 4×4
Occupation
Facilities Engineer
And yes, I have driven the same stretch the mechanic had, guess 16 mpg avg is all I should expect. Should have never even tried the Ford community for help to figure it all out.
So you follow your mechanic from point A to point B every minute of every day in your truck, and you both drive with the exact same acceleration/deceleration rate? At that point, you should just carpool. If this isn't the case, then you still can't compare your fuel economy. Driving a portion of the same drive doesn't mean anything, especially if it's at different times of the day as traffic could be different as well as traffic light timing.

Believe what you want about fuel economy, but it's impossible to compare. What do you think of the people where they drive their truck and so did their wife, one gets terrible fuel economy and one doesn't? I've seen a few people post about that situation. Is it the truck there still? How can one truck get completely different numbers with just a driver change? Does it decide to just burn more fuel randomly?

Who are you

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F150 Powerboost
I get it you believe all issues are the driver, you've repeated it 100 times in thread's. If you can't think of anything else, stop responding to these threads.
Sponsored

Last edited: