Another New Noise From My Powerboost

LHoffmanjr22

First Name
Larry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Ford F-150 Lariat Supercrew Powerboost
I am telling you all, I really do like my Powerboost. It's the best of both worlds as far as doing truck stuff and still being relatively responsible with gas mileage. I like everything about this truck, from comfort to power, looks to utility. However, I either got a lemon of a truck or this powertrain makes promises it can't keep and isn't yet ready for full time use. I got an entirely new long block about 2 months ago after the 3.5 portion of the drivetrain imploded on itself for no apparent reason. Just yesterday, I noticed a new noise coming from somewhere under the truck. At first I thought it was squeaky brakes, but listening closer I noticed it happens during deceleration and acceleration. It's like a metal grinding or whirring noise under light acceleration and deceleration between 5 and about 40 miles per hour. It doesn't happen every time, it seems to only be after driving for a bit. I think it's coming from the electric motor, as the noise definitely comes from under the truck. I posted the best video I could of the noise. It's hard to capture because the windows are open to hear it and wind noise increases.

If the truck is down and out for 3 more days I'll be at the one month out of service within the first year of ownership threshold for filing a lemon law claim since the long block replacement took 28 days, but the last thing I want to do is shop for a truck in this market. Though if that's what it comes to, I can say I've lost a lot of faith in Ford. Anyone have any experience with this noise?

Sponsored

mnstang

First Name
Nick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F-150 Lariat PB Leadfoot
Occupation
US Gov
I have a Powerboost and have never heard that noise and I drive with the windows down a lot. I'd venture to guess that if you bring it in they will say "could not replicate issue" and leave it at that.

Porpoise Hork

First Name
Bret
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
22 F150 XLT Powerboost FX4 302A Oxford White
Occupation
IT
Mine was making a sound very similar to this, turned out to be the front driver's side rotor splash shield slightly rubbing against the rotor. Reached up behind the wheel and gave it a tweak and the noise went away.

Ford Motor Company

Official Ford Account
First Name
Ford
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F-150
I am telling you all, I really do like my Powerboost. It's the best of both worlds as far as doing truck stuff and still being relatively responsible with gas mileage. I like everything about this truck, from comfort to power, looks to utility. However, I either got a lemon of a truck or this powertrain makes promises it can't keep and isn't yet ready for full time use. I got an entirely new long block about 2 months ago after the 3.5 portion of the drivetrain imploded on itself for no apparent reason. Just yesterday, I noticed a new noise coming from somewhere under the truck. At first I thought it was squeaky brakes, but listening closer I noticed it happens during deceleration and acceleration. It's like a metal grinding or whirring noise under light acceleration and deceleration between 5 and about 40 miles per hour. It doesn't happen every time, it seems to only be after driving for a bit. I think it's coming from the electric motor, as the noise definitely comes from under the truck. I posted the best video I could of the noise. It's hard to capture because the windows are open to hear it and wind noise increases.

If the truck is down and out for 3 more days I'll be at the one month out of service within the first year of ownership threshold for filing a lemon law claim since the long block replacement took 28 days, but the last thing I want to do is shop for a truck in this market. Though if that's what it comes to, I can say I've lost a lot of faith in Ford. Anyone have any experience with this noise?
Hey there. Can you please send over a private message with your VIN and the name/location of your local Ford dealer? I would like to take a closer look at your truck's motor noise issues.

OP
OP

LHoffmanjr22

First Name
Larry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
I have a Powerboost and have never heard that noise and I drive with the windows down a lot. I'd venture to guess that if you bring it in they will say "could not replicate issue" and leave it at that.
I've heard that answer so many times from so many dealerships that I have started recording everything I hear. I have about 8 videos from different times and days all showing the same noise. It's a lot harder for a dealership to deny something is happening when there is an overwhelming amount of evidence. Unfortunately, that's the approach we have to take in order to get people to step up and take responsibility. Not just car dealerships either...

Sponsored

OP
OP

LHoffmanjr22

First Name
Larry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mine was making a sound very similar to this, turned out to be the front driver's side rotor splash shield slightly rubbing against the rotor. Reached up behind the wheel and gave it a tweak and the noise went away.
Thanks! I am going to be bringing it into a dealership, but I know I'll wait forever to get an appointment and just wanted to see if this is something simple or not. I don't want to do more damage while waiting for it to get fixed, but also need to be able to drive to work and such.

Porpoise Hork

First Name
Bret
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
22 F150 XLT Powerboost FX4 302A Oxford White
Occupation
IT
I've heard that answer so many times from so many dealerships that I have started recording everything I hear. I have about 8 videos from different times and days all showing the same noise. It's a lot harder for a dealership to deny something is happening when there is an overwhelming amount of evidence. Unfortunately, that's the approach we have to take in order to get people to step up and take responsibility. Not just car dealerships either...
You may get lucky with showing them the videos, but chances are they would accept it as "proof." Had an awful squeak/rattle in the dash of my 20 Ranger and I recorded several videos of it where you could clearly hear it and how it would stop by pressing down on the dash. Two dealerships stated they couldn't replicate it and dismissed my videos stating they had to actually hear it make the noise....

OP
OP

LHoffmanjr22

First Name
Larry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Hey there. Can you please send over a private message with your VIN and the name/location of your local Ford dealer? I would like to take a closer look at your truck's motor noise issues.
Message sent. Hoping that something useful can be done, and this isn't just a way to get me to stop talking about the issues with this truck via a public forum. Thank you.

rack04

First Name
Justin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Ford F-150 Powerboost
My 2021 Powerboost makes that exact sound under the same operating conditions, along with a single clunk when beginning to decelerate or accelerate. I suspect it's something with the regenerative braking, but I haven't identified the source of either.

OP
OP

LHoffmanjr22

First Name
Larry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
My 2021 Powerboost makes that exact sound under the same operating conditions, along with a single clunk when beginning to decelerate or accelerate. I suspect it's something with the regenerative braking, but I haven't identified the source of either.
Have you brought it into a dealer?

Sponsored

rack04

First Name
Justin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
No, I'm avoiding the dealer like a plague.

Autofill

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F150
Pretty sure I have one making the same noise. I’ve only noticed it when braking. Seems to happen more when I am braking and turning to the right. Odd.

OP
OP

LHoffmanjr22

First Name
Larry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Pretty sure I have one making the same noise. I’ve only noticed it when braking. Seems to happen more when I am braking and turning to the right. Odd.
So mine is kind of that way too. For a while I thought maybe it was something in the suspension squeaking under load or when load is removed. But it’s definitely tied to the brakes while stopping, and it’s also present when accelerating only under electric power.

OP
OP

LHoffmanjr22

First Name
Larry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
So a quick update/add on.....

I called a dealership I have used in the past to schedule an appointment after receiving rental car approval from @Ford Motor Company representative, but only after they diagnose the problem. When I called the dealership to schedule, it came up that my truck had a new long block put into it about 2 months / 3,000 miles ago. New dealership said that they would certainly take a look, but if it was found that the new noise is caused by the engine replacement or any other work done to that, then warranty wouldn't cover it and I'd be stuck fighting with the old dealership to pay. They recommended going back to the dealership that replaced the long block. The sheer amount of problems, lies, and disrespect I got from that dealership during the 27 days my truck was parked there, not to mention that when I got it back the sunroof was not functioning, makes me hesitate to go back again. I reached back out to the @Ford Motor Company rep. to ask for advice, and haven't gotten a response....its been 4 days and counting since I sent the email.

However, truck was due for it's first oil change since the new long block, so brought it into the Quicklane of the dealership I called about the noise, and when they removed the rear right wheel for a tire rotation, a sheered off bolt fell out of the axle. Turns out there is a TSB out for this problem, and it isn't the first one this dealership has seen. They have no idea yet if that's the reason for the noise or not, but ordered parts and they should be in next week. Even a simple oil change turns into bolts falling out on this truck. They say it's safe to drive and let me drive it, but I had a camping trip planned this weekend with my travel trailer (it's within all specs to tow safely with my truck) and that is definitely a no go. I wasn't too concerned about the noise, but now that bolts are falling out of the axle, it seems like this might be a more urgent concern.

rack04

First Name
Justin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
So a quick update/add on.....

I called a dealership I have used in the past to schedule an appointment after receiving rental car approval from @Ford Motor Company representative, but only after they diagnose the problem. When I called the dealership to schedule, it came up that my truck had a new long block put into it about 2 months / 3,000 miles ago. New dealership said that they would certainly take a look, but if it was found that the new noise is caused by the engine replacement or any other work done to that, then warranty wouldn't cover it and I'd be stuck fighting with the old dealership to pay. They recommended going back to the dealership that replaced the long block. The sheer amount of problems, lies, and disrespect I got from that dealership during the 27 days my truck was parked there, not to mention that when I got it back the sunroof was not functioning, makes me hesitate to go back again. I reached back out to the @Ford Motor Company rep. to ask for advice, and haven't gotten a response....its been 4 days and counting since I sent the email.

However, truck was due for it's first oil change since the new long block, so brought it into the Quicklane of the dealership I called about the noise, and when they removed the rear right wheel for a tire rotation, a sheered off bolt fell out of the axle. Turns out there is a TSB out for this problem, and it isn't the first one this dealership has seen. They have no idea yet if that's the reason for the noise or not, but ordered parts and they should be in next week. Even a simple oil change turns into bolts falling out on this truck. They say it's safe to drive and let me drive it, but I had a camping trip planned this weekend with my travel trailer (it's within all specs to tow safely with my truck) and that is definitely a no go. I wasn't too concerned about the noise, but now that bolts are falling out of the axle, it seems like this might be a more urgent concern.
Debbie Downer here, I've had the rear 2 bolts shear in the same way. One has been repaired by the dealership and the other they're waiting on parts. I removed the wheel and removed the broken bolt and washer. Driving to work this morning and into the parking garage I noticed the sounds still exists. Always while braking.
Sponsored