Tow Mirror Skull Cap Replacement

ricko24

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F-150 Lariat PB
I guess the next question is if they are the same form factor and can be swapped out. I think these are the right parts if someone can also confirm. Here's the parts for the black cap versus the chrome cap, but no pictures of the chrome cap.

Black RH: https://parts.ford.com/shop/en/us/cover-9343311-1#sectionId:324048499
Black LH: https://parts.ford.com/shop/en/us/cover-9346375-1#sectionId:324048499

Chrome RH: https://parts.ford.com/shop/en/us/cover-6444267-1#sectionId:324048499
Chrome LH: https://parts.ford.com/shop/en/us/body/mirrors/mirror-housing-cover-13291841-1
[/

interested in confirmation these are replacement for 2021 tow mirror caps. Was about to pull trigger but when ordering said 2020 usage. The cost is cheap and install seems to be simple pressure tabs. Anyone with insight on these?
Sponsored

Roger350

First Name
Roger
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2011 Evo MR, 2015 Sonata Hybrid, 2007 Tahoe - Being Replaced by 2021 F-150
Occupation
Engineer
Looks like the 2021 F-250s still have body colored skull caps on some trims. I used the Build & Price tool to build an F-250 KR in Antimatter Blue, and its tow mirrors had blue skull caps. As soon as we figure out if it is an easy replacement without breaking a bunch of plastic tabs I'll be buying the Antimatter blue caps.

Agashi25

First Name
Arban
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2015 Mustang GT PP CO
It's weird, because B&P shows them with black skullcaps. Are you saying that's not what they come with?
1611097787731.png
I asked my dealer the other day about this and he swear up and down Lariat Sport will have the black skull caps. (Granger/Albert)

There other some folks on the forum that swear the opposite so I have no clue what I’m getting but I’ll let y’all down in about 10 days.

Edit- finally found one on Auto trader. Guess we’re doing wraps boys!!

http://atcm.co/S2PVDP/2201e5c7

Last edited:

Chris McN

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Model 3, 2021 F-150 Lariat Sport 4x4 3.5l EB
Occupation
Retired
At some point in the last couple of weeks Ford changed the B&P images. The B&P for my build currently shows the chrome caps. I have a Lariat Sport on order and a few weeks ago downloaded several of the B&P images to share with a friend. One is attached below and shows black mirror caps. The current image on the Ford online Order tracker still shows black (screen shot below from today).

Seems wrong to me that they change the look of the truck after it's ordered, especially when I, like many I'm sure, ordered Sport specifically to avoid chrome. Hoping my dealer will make this right if it comes in with chrome caps.
Ford F-150 Tow Mirror Skull Cap Replacement vehicle-12

Ford F-150 Tow Mirror Skull Cap Replacement Untitled

Roger350

First Name
Roger
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2011 Evo MR, 2015 Sonata Hybrid, 2007 Tahoe - Being Replaced by 2021 F-150
Occupation
Engineer
The pictures may have been wrong and recently changed, but the order guide has always said chrome skull caps for Lariat and above, regardless of sport package or not. I think you are being unreasonable if you expect the dealer to make up for an error on a CG image on build and price when the text has always said chrome skull caps.

Sponsored

Kino

First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'18 GC-Trailhawk V8, '21 Bronco Sport
Occupation
Beatnik
On mine, the fordtracker site has chrome skullcaps in the main picture, but when you change the picture's direction, the chrome disappears and is black.

Also, under "Other", it states:

Exterior Mirrors
Power-Folding, PowerScope Telescoping, Power Glass Trailer Tow Mirrors with Heat, Turn Signal, Memory, Auto-Dimming Feature (Driver's Side), High-Intensity LED Security Approach Lamps, LED Sideview mirror Spotlights and Black Skull Caps

OP
OP
mrtrav

mrtrav

First Name
Travis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150 Lariat Sport
My build and price from October when I submitted my order states chrome skull caps.

Chris McN

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Model 3, 2021 F-150 Lariat Sport 4x4 3.5l EB
Occupation
Retired
On mine, the fordtracker site has chrome skullcaps in the main picture, but when you change the picture's direction, the chrome disappears and is black.

Also, under "Other", it states:

Exterior Mirrors
Power-Folding, PowerScope Telescoping, Power Glass Trailer Tow Mirrors with Heat, Turn Signal, Memory, Auto-Dimming Feature (Driver's Side), High-Intensity LED Security Approach Lamps, LED Sideview mirror Spotlights and Black Skull Caps
Kino - where are you seeing the "Other" link? I'm on this site (https://shop.ford.com/vehicleordertracking#/status) and I don't see that link> Thanks

ivorm

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2016 F150 XLT 302
Wow, I just noticed the skull caps on the build and price site tonight (Canadian site). I ordered my truck this week (Lariat 502A, lead foot with tow mirrors). The build and price site has always shown black skull caps but the description said chrome, I assumed that was a typo that wasn't updated when the sport package was selected. Now the build and price site has been updated to show chrome skull caps. I know they were shown as black because I was looking into painting them and the PDF of my build I sent to my dealer on Jan. 13th showed black in the pictures. I'm going to have to order some black ones or get the chrome ones painted, it seems ridiculous to have chrome skull caps as the only chrome on the truck.

Agashi25

First Name
Arban
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2015 Mustang GT PP CO
Wow, I just noticed the skull caps on the build and price site tonight (Canadian site). I ordered my truck this week (Lariat 502A, lead foot with tow mirrors). The build and price site has always shown black skull caps but the description said chrome, I assumed that was a typo that wasn't updated when the sport package was selected. Now the build and price site has been updated to show chrome skull caps. I know they were shown as black because I was looking into painting them and the PDF of my build I sent to my dealer on Jan. 13th showed black in the pictures. I'm going to have to order some black ones or get the chrome ones painted, it seems ridiculous to have chrome skull caps as the only chrome on the truck.
Paint or just wrap them. Should be a 5 min job. Verse taking off and painting.

Sponsored

Kino

First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'18 GC-Trailhawk V8, '21 Bronco Sport
Occupation
Beatnik

Pedaldude

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2001 Lincoln Navigator, 2021 Ford F-150
The chrome caps are hideous, like something ordered from J.C. Whitney.

I’d be pretty annoyed if they were switched over to a chrome delete package that you pay extra for.

Ask for the dealer to swap them out.

OP
OP
mrtrav

mrtrav

First Name
Travis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150 Lariat Sport
I should be getting my truck within a few days and have been anticipating the different options to get rid of the chrome.

1) Replace with Black Plastic OEM - $60/mirror
2) Gloss Black Vinyl Wrap - $75/mirror

Option 1 will be the matte plastic finish, while option 2 is a gloss look. I am going to wait and get the truck in person and see what would look better. But providing pricing options for those that are considering something similar.

longbow42

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Audi A8L, Ford F150 Platinum PowerBoost
Why not just have it wrapped, Should be fairly cheap with no more material than would be needed.
I took it to a local wrap and they told me they didn't like to wrap chrome as it doesn't last long? Maybe I should try another place.

Agashi25

First Name
Arban
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2015 Mustang GT PP CO
I ordered some black 3M wrap. I’ll try it myself it was only a $15 investment. I’ll report how it turns out.
Sponsored