Tow Mirror Skull Cap Replacement

mrtrav

First Name
Travis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150 Lariat Sport
Does anyone know if body color skull caps for the tow mirrors are available anywhere? I would like to swap out or cover the chrome with black skull caps to match the rest of the Lariat sport exterior.
Sponsored

Roger350

First Name
Roger
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2011 Evo MR, 2015 Sonata Hybrid, 2007 Tahoe - Being Replaced by 2021 F-150
Occupation
Engineer
Does anyone know if body color skull caps for the tow mirrors are available anywhere? I would like to swap out or cover the chrome with black skull caps to match the rest of the Lariat sport exterior.
Would love to know this also. If you are wanting black, you may just be able to remove the chrome skull cap and reveal the black plastic that will match the lower half of the mirror without having to buy replacement caps.

If you ordered a truck in a color the 2020 Super Duty was available in you should be able to get painted skull caps for that truck that will match. Assuming these things are removal to begin with.

If you ordered a new for '21 color you may be out of luck on color matched skull caps. I don't know if the '21 Super Duty still offers color matched caps or if they went to all chrome like the F150?

SFD9

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Raptor, 2021 f-150 on order
Occupation
Self
same here on my KR when it arrives.
my friend at the body shop is looking into getting paint to match ones. They are available in black on other ‘21 f-150’s but probably only in textured black.

Last edited:

eff150

First Name
Dylan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
BMW 3 series
the fact that the sport packages come with chrome tow mirrors seems like a major oversight. That’s basically the point of the sport package is a chrome delete...

OP
OP
mrtrav

mrtrav

First Name
Travis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150 Lariat Sport
same here on my KR when it arrives.
my friend at the body shop is looking into getting paint to match ones. They are available in black on other ‘21 f-150’s but probably only in textured black.
I would even be happy with textured black, are these the same mirrors which are on the 250's?

Sponsored

BoilerTimmay

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2011 SCREW 3.5L
Did you actually get a sport with chrome caps? I think they come with black based on what I have seen.

OP
OP
mrtrav

mrtrav

First Name
Travis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150 Lariat Sport
Did you actually get a sport with chrome caps? I think they come with black based on what I have seen.
Mine is getting built in a couple of weeks, so I wont know for sure until delivery towards the end of Feb to early March. The build and price shows chrome and the option description specifically states "with chrome skull caps".

BoilerTimmay

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2011 SCREW 3.5L
Mine is getting built in a couple of weeks, so I wont know for sure until delivery towards the end of Feb to early March. The build and price shows chrome and the option description specifically states "with chrome skull caps".
It does, but I swear I have seen them in the wild (online) with black. Check auto trader.

Roger350

First Name
Roger
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2011 Evo MR, 2015 Sonata Hybrid, 2007 Tahoe - Being Replaced by 2021 F-150
Occupation
Engineer
Lariat and above come with the electronic telescoping mirrors, and as they are considered "up-level" they come with the chrome caps. The XLT and below have manual telescoping mirrors and get the all black appearance. It seems like as soon as they give you the electronic extension they force you to chrome.

Sponsored

OP
OP
mrtrav

mrtrav

First Name
Travis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150 Lariat Sport
Lariat and above come with the electronic telescoping mirrors, and as they are considered "up-level" they come with the chrome caps. The XLT and below have manual telescoping mirrors and get the all black appearance. It seems like as soon as they give you the electronic extension they force you to chrome.
I guess the next question is if they are the same form factor and can be swapped out. I think these are the right parts if someone can also confirm. Here's the parts for the black cap versus the chrome cap, but no pictures of the chrome cap.

Black RH: https://parts.ford.com/shop/en/us/cover-9343311-1#sectionId:324048499
Black LH: https://parts.ford.com/shop/en/us/cover-9346375-1#sectionId:324048499

Chrome RH: https://parts.ford.com/shop/en/us/cover-6444267-1#sectionId:324048499
Chrome LH: https://parts.ford.com/shop/en/us/body/mirrors/mirror-housing-cover-13291841-1

currybob

First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021KRF150 PB; 2023 LexusRX350Hy; 2023 Mini Cooper
Occupation
Retired Physicist from federal government; Army Veteran
Why not just have it wrapped, Should be fairly cheap with no more material than would be needed.

OP
OP
mrtrav

mrtrav

First Name
Travis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150 Lariat Sport
Why not just have it wrapped, Should be fairly cheap with no more material than would be needed.
I don’t have experience with wraps. Is that something a body shop would do?

currybob

First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021KRF150 PB; 2023 LexusRX350Hy; 2023 Mini Cooper
Occupation
Retired Physicist from federal government; Army Veteran
I don’t have experience with wraps. Is that something a body shop would do?
Not so much. Places that do window tint, and some high-end wax/clear bra places. Check yellow pages, lots of businesses get their vehicles warp or partially with their logos.
Sponsored