First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 f150
Occupation
Sparky
Was towing my pontoon boat this evening, 5000# roughly. 2021 XLT 5.0, 3.73. Was passing a semi truck and as I got along side it the transmission downshifted into third gear while in tow haul mode from 8th gear, was at about 62mph when it downshifted. Luckily no one was behind me and I was able to get over behind the truck. When I got down to about 35 mph the transmission started to shift properly and finished out the trip with no issues. Was passing the truck on level ground. Has anyone seen a downshift like this on level ground.
Sponsored

Snakebitten

First Name
Bruce
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 F150 KingRanch Powerboost
8th (overdrive) at 62mph in TowHaul mode with a load?

I'm surprised that the tow haul shift strategy would be in overdrive at 62mph. Especially with the Coyote. That's gotta be well below its towing sweet spot.

Although downshifting to 3rd is a bit dramatic. What are the rpms at 62mph in 3rd?

I could see it dropping to 5th or 6th, depending on the torque request the engine management received.

FirstFord

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 F-150 Lariat SuperCab 502A, 4x4 3.5 EcoBoost
Was towing my pontoon boat this evening, 5000# roughly. 2021 XLT 5.0, 3.73. Was passing a semi truck and as I got along side it the transmission downshifted into third gear while in tow haul mode from 8th gear, was at about 62mph when it downshifted. Luckily no one was behind me and I was able to get over behind the truck. When I got down to about 35 mph the transmission started to shift properly and finished out the trip with no issues. Was passing the truck on level ground. Has anyone seen a downshift like this on level ground.
I had an experince that was similar- but different (3.5 EB Lariat SCab): I was also towing about 5000 lbs (utility trailer), in Tow Mode. I was on a 2-lane blacktop and needed to pass a guy. When it was clear, I "punched it". The trans kicked down 3 or 4 gears (maybe more), the twin turbos kicked in, and the truck flew! I was impressed with the demonstration of power, but more importantly, glad that the passing process was over so fast. Once the pass was completed, I eased up off the gas, expecting it to shift back up to 8th gear again. Nope. It stayed there screaming at high revs in a lower gear. I'm kind of panicking now, trying to figure out what's wrong. Finally, I shift it into Neutral, and then back to Drive, and everything went back to normal. It was long enough ago that I don't remember details like RPM, what gear it shifted down to, etc.

When I took the truck in for an oil change, I reported it and asked about it, believing that something wasn’t right. I was told by the Ford dealer service dept, that it was normal operation. What????

DT400

First Name
Darrell
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
79 Scout II, 90 Mustang gt, 95 F-150, 22 F-150
I think the hanging in a lower gear for a few seconds after a full throttle event with a sudden release of the throttle is normal, not ideal to me but normal.
My 3.5 will do it in normal mode...I think the computer is thinking you wanting to do a bit of sport driving. Similar to staying in gear with a manual trans....
I think if you let off the throttle a bit slower it will shift up normally.

Darrell

Calson

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 F-150
This is a defect in the transmission programming. All that tow/haul mode does is change the upshift points and delays the release of the torque converter longer to minimize heat buildup iwth the ATF when towing. The downshift is not from tow/haul but something else that is not working properly.

I have had problems with the forward collision avoidance kicking in with a vehicle slowing down in an adjacent lane and nearly being involved in an accident as the truck went from 65 down to 35 mph in an instant. Fortunately no one was tailgating my truck at the time. I could find no way to disable this "feature".

I have disabled the Rear Collision Assist on the truck as when I had a bike rack mounted in the hitchc receiver the trucks brakes would lock up when backing up the truck. I would have to stop every couple of feet when backing up and was glad I could disable this badly implemented feature.

Sometimes less is more.

Sponsored

OP
OP

Lone wolf

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 f150
Occupation
Sparky
Unrelated but I have had the front collision avoidance activate probably six times while just sitting at a traffic light. Have to put in park and turn it off to reset. 39000 miles on truck. I agree there is a defect in the programming possibly. Would like to hear from Ford on the TH mode issue though.

tony72cutlass's'

First Name
Tony
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
1972 Cutlass, '21 F-150 XLT SCAB
I was in second gear going down a pretty steep hill at 50 the other day in Maine with 4500lb trailer. Revs had to be pushing 6,000. The grade was ridiculous though.

The 5.0 sounded like an angry swarm of bees was trying to slow me down. Pretty awesome actually.

Ford Motor Company

Official Ford Account
First Name
Ford
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F-150
Unrelated but I have had the front collision avoidance activate probably six times while just sitting at a traffic light. Have to put in park and turn it off to reset. 39000 miles on truck. I agree there is a defect in the programming possibly. Would like to hear from Ford on the TH mode issue though.
Hi there! Will you send us a message with your VIN and your local Ford dealer? I can look into things on my end.

OP
OP

Lone wolf

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 f150
Occupation
Sparky
Hi there! Will you send us a message with your VIN and your local Ford dealer? I can look into things on my end.
1ftfw1e58mkd14797 - Atchinson Ford Belleville MI
Sponsored