First Name
Kyle
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 f150, BMW X5, BMW M3,
Occupation
Sales
I have to say that I was extremely pleased with the truck and it towing performance , it was light years better then the last truck .

I was coming off rogers pass, western Canadians will know it. Big mountain steep slopes. There was construction on road so I was going slower then normal , and on one hand the truck dropped in to second gear and controlled the speed beautifully but once past the construction and I wanted to speed up and it would not shift out of second , I had to put it normal mode for a second and back into tow mode to get out of second, I was still on the downhill and not stepping brake and stepping on the gas, it just revd higher and would not shift.

happned one other time when I was following a slow moving trailer on another down hill.

so twice in 3000 km was not bad and the fix was quick and simple but just wondering if this has happened to anyone else.
Sponsored

kevdog0710

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 F150 Lariat Supercrew
Occupation
Union Carpenter
I have over 3000 tow miles so far. I haven't had that experience. I also haven't dealt with any overly steep inclines.

FirstFord

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 F-150 Lariat SuperCab 502A, 4x4 3.5 EcoBoost
I have to say that I was extremely pleased with the truck and it towing performance , it was light years better then the last truck .

I was coming off rogers pass, western Canadians will know it. Big mountain steep slopes. There was construction on road so I was going slower then normal , and on one hand the truck dropped in to second gear and controlled the speed beautifully but once past the construction and I wanted to speed up and it would not shift out of second , I had to put it normal mode for a second and back into tow mode to get out of second, I was still on the downhill and not stepping brake and stepping on the gas, it just revd higher and would not shift.

happned one other time when I was following a slow moving trailer on another down hill.

so twice in 3000 km was not bad and the fix was quick and simple but just wondering if this has happened to anyone else.

This type of behavior, or similar to it, has been mentioned in a previous thread or two. I had a different, but similar experience. In the thread https://www.f150gen14.com/forum/threads/tow-haul-mode.18513/#post-361098, I said, "I was towing about 5000 lbs (utility trailer), in Tow Mode. I was on a 2-lane blacktop and needed to pass a guy. When it was clear, I 'punched it'. The trans kicked down 3 or 4 gears (maybe more), the twin turbos kicked in, and the truck flew! I was impressed with the demonstration of power, but more importantly, glad that the passing process was over so fast. Once the pass was completed, I eased up off the gas, expecting it to shift back up to 8th gear again. Nope. It stayed there screaming at high revs in a lower gear. I'm kind of panicking now, trying to figure out what's wrong. Finally, I shift it into Neutral, and then back to Drive, and everything went back to normal. It was long enough ago that I don't remember details like RPM, what gear it shifted down to, etc."

I believe that my shifting into Neutral had the same affect as you rotating the knob out of Tow Mode into Normal, and then back again. Since you have posted your experience, the "solutions" are too similar not to be related, in my opinion. It's almost like that action interrupted the truck's train-of-thought, then it remembered, "Oh yeah, that's why I came into this room..." :LOL:

I never got a definitive answer/solution regarding this. Some (the dealer) said it was "normal" (which I do not believe), some said it was a tranny programming issue, some said it was something else.... So, yes - there are other issues like yours, but unfortunately I can't supply any answers.

ReverendQ

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.linkedin.com
Vehicles
2023 F150 XLT PowerBoost 302A Avalanche BAP
Occupation
Engineer
I did experience the stuck in low gears after down hilling in Tow/Haul mode. I did the same dial-up Normal to get it to up shift. I thought it was a one-off or specific to my hill/grade/load situation. Open trailer was only 2000# bumper pull hitch so not sure why the truck was even engine braking at this small tow. Kindof thinking I may start using Normal and locking out 9/10.
Sponsored