Sponsored

Take my money please! (Poor Ford Dealership Follow-up)

spud_41

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'21 Lariat 502a, Lead Foot 3.5L EB Fx4
I emailed a dealer about wanting a Lariat with certain packages, salesman bugged me for my number and tried to sell me a Platinum. Second dealer I emailed about a specific truck they had in transit, nothing for a couple days, then a guy emailed me saying the truck just got there and someone walked in and bought it but he was a pain to deal with, then tried to sell me a Platinum. Third, salesman told me the truck I was interested in (in transit) was available, gave me his number and told me if I had any questions to call or text him, and if I wanted I could come in and drive a truck then talk about reserving the truck I asked about or seeing if they had something similar ordered later in the spring I would rather have.
Sponsored

xXChartmanXx

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2011 Explorer, 2021 VW ID.4, 2021 F150 Lariat
Occupation
CyberSecurity Engineer
Yah had the same issues here in San Diego. First couple of dealers only wanted to try and sell me a truck they had or could find. "The 3.5 Ecoboost is the same as the hybrid, nothing really different". Can I get a 7.2kw Genny in the back? "You can get a 2.4kw, no one needs 7.2kw". What if I have tools that use a 240 plug? "You can't power that with the truck". Uhh, I've seen it power two RV's both on 240 plugs. I dont want a black truck. Well thats what your getting. You dont need a work surface. I finally found a dealership who ordered my Truck immediately, no hassles, no issues. Just got to search.

SBrentnall

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.daxiadigital.com
Vehicles
Acura MDX
Occupation
Digital Marketing
What the hell is going on with Ford? I can’t believe they’re so busy they can’t follow-up with me - most of these dealers show 2021 KR inventory sitting on their lots. Has anyone else experienced this? BTW, I live in the DFW TX area, probably one of the highest F-150 volume sales area in the country.
I had the same experience with multiple dealers in Los Angeles.
  • Requested quote via Costco
    • Got a generic email followup telling me to come into the dealer. I called, and they didn't have any info on my specific build. Said they'd look into it and get back to me. Nothing.
  • Called high-volume local dealer and asked for a price on my build.
    • Was told they couldn't give me that yet. Called again a month later and they had no info. Asked them to call me back as soon as they had pricing. Nothing.
  • Emailed another dealer asking for pricing on a specific build
    • Got a generic email telling me to come in and look at inventory. Replied and asked for pricing on my specific build. Nothing.

Dan M.

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 KR SQ 4X4 PB
Occupation
Retired Army
I had the same experience with multiple dealers in Los Angeles.
  • Requested quote via Costco
    • Got a generic email followup telling me to come into the dealer. I called, and they didn't have any info on my specific build. Said they'd look into it and get back to me. Nothing.
  • Called high-volume local dealer and asked for a price on my build.
    • Was told they couldn't give me that yet. Called again a month later and they had no info. Asked them to call me back as soon as they had pricing. Nothing.
  • Emailed another dealer asking for pricing on a specific build
    • Got a generic email telling me to come in and look at inventory. Replied and asked for pricing on my specific build. Nothing.
With some of the stuff I’ve seen at a dealer it’s amazing how they can still be in business.

NoSnow

First Name
Ben
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F150
Occupation
Retired
It must be dealership training as it is not much different with the dealers in Canada that I called. Maybe they are getting too much internet/email tire kicking. I called a few and the ones that did call back didn’t seem overly interested. I visited my preferred dealer and it seemed to go better in person.

Sponsored

OP
OP
BigTex22

BigTex22

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2011 Ford F-150 King Ranch
Ford dealers need to take a page from Lexus, BMW, and other high touch brands. For grins and giggles, I priced a 5-series BMW the other day - it’s less than the F150 KR I want!

Trashman

First Name
Tracy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Limited Powerboost
Occupation
Retired
I was surprised by the lack of knowledge some of these salesmen had. Didn't know the F150 came in a hybrid (or what a PowerBoost was) . I was asking about Expeditions and plans down the road for hybrid or electric and said "Oh Ford would never make an electric vehicle" He had my confidence NOT

Bryan Simon

First Name
Bryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
65 Ranchero, 66 ElCamino, 05 Ranger, and more
Occupation
Maintenance
[*]Got a generic email telling me to come in and look at inventory. Replied and asked for pricing on my specific build. Nothing.
This would just frost my cookies.
If I had any desire whatsoever to pick from inventory, don’t y’all think I would be there looking right now?

For 99% of the people new car shopping, they are fine shopping off a lot.
If they don’t see what they would like, they go to another.

For that 1% that wants a very specific, and not common configuration.
Not too many want an 8’ bed SuperCab, and on top of that, I want what I want, and don’t want what I don’t want on it.

Viper1010

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Ford F-150 XLT
on top of that, I want what I want, and don’t want what I don’t want on it.
This line sums it up best!!

I had similar issues as above regarding dealerships. I went in (only ordered in Jan) and said this is what I want, what can you do, full well already knowing that not a single truck in the province had the setup I was looking for, but never know if their System comes up with something I didn’t find. I specifically asked for an XLT, cause I knew my budget and the only way I can get what I wanted was via the xlt trim.

3 of the 4 dealerships searched my wants (good start) and then all four pulled out a Lariat that had most of the features I wanted and then many that I didn’t want. Therefore I’d be paying more than I wanted and getting crap I didn’t want and not getting the things I did.

The best part was when I said, oh that’s over my budget and missing things that were non-negotiable, two of the dealers showed me a bare minimum Lariat. Like wtf, didn’t you hear the non-negotiaables. My list had 4 non negotiables and then things that I wanted but didn’t need like moonroof, tailgate step, workstation, etc. Anyways, I mentioned that I’d be willing to wait for the truck and do an order, but 3 of the 4 didn’t seem too interested in doing a sale. Didn’t even try building out and pricing it.

I will say that the 5th dealership was awesome. He had a lariat on the lot with everything I wanted (not missing a thing) and tonnes of extras. I told him it would be out of my price range even with a hefty discount, but he gave it a crack anyways. Offered me invoice without negotiating. Unfortunately, it was still out of my budget. And it wasn’t that it was out of my budget, but more I just wasn’t willing to spend that much. He said listen if you are willing to wait we can build it and it’s yours. Boom. Did some math and built the truck that I wanted. Easy as pie! And still giving at invoice, include any dealer add-ons at cost like the tonneau. I had calculated a worst case saving of $4.5k into my pricing, in terms of what I thought I’d save on the dealer side, thankfully I got the savings I was aiming for and saved enough that I was able to add all of the unnecessary list items like the moonroof my wife wanted, for the odd time she’s actually in the passenger seat. Haha. Happy wife, happy life right?

Bryan Simon

First Name
Bryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
65 Ranchero, 66 ElCamino, 05 Ranger, and more
Occupation
Maintenance
Yep, I wanted a simple XLT with just a couple of options.
36 gal tank,
Locking differential
Step bars—-for her
Drop in bedliner—more for dent protection over scratching
Console
I did step up to the 301A for power seat and a couple of other goodies.
Did not want the big screen or all the adds that the 302a added.
My old 98 Chev k1500 will probably still remain my primary do stuff truck as
I am VERY fond of it (selling Ranger) and that truck is simplicity at its finest.
5.7, 5spd, A/C, Tilt, Cruise, lockers front and rear—that is all, but it is a heavy duty version of the half tonners.
Rides nice, decent fuel mileage, dead nuts reliable, and I don’t get too cranky over a few scratches in it. Plus it has the power to do what I occasionally need it to do.

Sponsored

ricko24

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F-150 Lariat PB
The dealership model is so antiquated and for the majority does not really put customers first. Ford should reinvent the sales model and somehow keep dealerships involved for test drives and post purchase activities like warranty and service repairs.

My Last 4 vehicles were all bought virtually (phone, internet, email). I sold a Tesla Model 3 to get this f-150. I like the Tesla buying experience (not perfect) however the service experience was the worst.

TexasRealtor

First Name
Brandon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 King Ranch FX4 PowerBoost
Occupation
Realtor
Ford dealers need to take a page from Lexus, BMW, and other high touch brands. For grins and giggles, I priced a 5-series BMW the other day - it’s less than the F150 KR I want!
I have a friend at CarMax. They cut most of the sales staff back when COVID started.
Then when things started back, they brought back less than half of the sales staff.
So he is crazy busy, and works by appointment.

An idea though. BigTex22, I'm in Arlington. Likely looking at a purchase in April. Or an order sooner.
I wonder if we could get others from DFW and work some great deals. Just a thought.

Last edited:

Gonzo67

First Name
Ismario G Gonzalez
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2008 F-150 Lariat, 2020 Subaru Crosstrek, 2014 MB C-250
Occupation
Electrical engineer
I had one dealer in Evans, Ga tell me that how dare I compare dealers in the area, they would only talk to me if I was only dealing with them. “ I will not waste my time”.......

barbersbbq

First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F-150 Platinum
I had one dealer in Evans, Ga tell me that how dare I compare dealers in the area, they would only talk to me if I was only dealing with them. “ I will not waste my time”.......
oh man. I went with fairway Ford. They only treated me well after I threatened to pull my order.

OP
OP
BigTex22

BigTex22

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2011 Ford F-150 King Ranch
The “text guy” I mentioned in a previous post got back to me. Very good over the phone and set me up for a test drive tomorrow at 10am. I’ll report back on the experience.
Sponsored