"System Off to Save Battery" message

bgalakazam

First Name
Lubo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150 500A Lariat 4x4 5.0L
Started getting this 3-4 weeks ago. Start/Stop has almost never engaged for me. Truck is driven pretty much daily since I got it. Bad battery? I know these don't charge past 80% or something. I remember when I was doing some module updates, my maintainer could barely keep up and battery dipped below min threshold a few times.

Any way I can get "proof" that there is an issue with the battery to get some warranty work? Very hard being in Germany to justify anything with Ford, other than recalls.

Thanks!
Sponsored

OP
OP
HSV_MIkeJ

HSV_MIkeJ

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.music-by-mike.com
Vehicles
2021 Ford F-150 Lariat, SC Rapid Red
Occupation
DJ
I replaced my factory battery in my 21 Lariat with an H8 size battery and all the problems went away after a couple of weeks. The stock battery is just not high enough capacity to maintain all the systems in the train that stay on when the truck is off. Even Ford's on documents say the battery is not big enough.

Kshort62

First Name
Keith
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 F150 limited Powerboost,
Occupation
Process Control Technician
Tried to remote start my 22 Limited PB .. no go… got in the truck to start it .. got this strange chime .. truck started, drive my 10 miles to work .. shut the truck off and get the ignition switch message , no interior lights.. this is complete BS ! I’m already scheduled for a reduced power/power train malfunction check Tuesday at the local dealership .. WTF Ford ! Biggest POS I have ever owned

Ford F-150 "System Off to Save Battery" message IMG_2318

Ford F-150 "System Off to Save Battery" message IMG_2317

Snakebitten

First Name
Bruce
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 F150 KingRanch Powerboost
Could be both issues are rooted in the same source. A weak battery.

Not guaranteed, but very possible.

stangsandatruck

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2015 Mustang GT, 2021 F150 XLT 302A
Occupation
Software Engineer
I had my battery replaced under warranty in February of this year. Fast forward to last week where I was headed in for warranty work and told the service dept that I had noticed the auto start stop was no longer working.

They found that my battery was bad yet again and they had to order another. There was a brand new truck on the lot that had the same issue - so whoever is manufacturing these batteries might have some QC issues. Both times they told me it was a "discharge rate failure", they also did an alternator check and it came back well within spec.

Sponsored

Gros Ventre

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Powerboost
Well... I had thought the battery issue was directly caused by the parking of a bunch of trucks awaiting chips... This has gone on so long that now I believe the issue is a battery manufacturer putting out bad batteries. Mine gave me some funny indications just 4 1/2 months after delivery. Replaced it with an off the shelf, new NAPA AGM battery of the same size. Not a peep out of the system since...

Icbmredrat

First Name
Wade
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F-150 XLT 4x4 Supercrew
2021 XLT Here with 56,000 KM and last few days the interior lights and approach lamps don't turn on after sitting for 9-12 hours. Its getting cold here in Toronto ( 1 to -3 Celsius) but I've never had this problem in prior years. Doesn't display any messages on the dash but the Ford app often says that only partial data can be retrieved.

Do you guys think its a sign of a dying battery? I have 4 months left on Warranty so I should be really calling the dealer asap...

hammer40

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Ford F-150 Tremor, 1970 F250
Occupation
Business owner
Well... I had thought the battery issue was directly caused by the parking of a bunch of trucks awaiting chips... This has gone on so long that now I believe the issue is a battery manufacturer putting out bad batteries. Mine gave me some funny indications just 4 1/2 months after delivery. Replaced it with an off the shelf, new NAPA AGM battery of the same size. Not a peep out of the system since...
Did you have to reset your BMS? Mine just started doing this. 12K miles.

Gros Ventre

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Powerboost
Did you have to reset your BMS? Mine just started doing this. 12K miles.
No, as things were, I was on the road for family Thanksgiving dinner (Nov 21). So I pulled into the nearest NAPA store, they had the drop in battery (I've had good experiences with NAPA Batteries), bought it and put it in... Then kept driving down the road. Didn't turn in the battery for core and took it back to my dealer. They tested it and found it to be "just fine" and I still have it but don't trust it...

Dadofjax

First Name
DadofJax
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150 Lariat
Anything special with replacing these batteries? Now that it's getting cold everytime I shut it off I get the power saving message. Auto start doesn't work, start/stop doesn't work, zone lighting and interior lighting doesn't work. Wonderful job Ford 33k miles in '21 and need a new battery.

I'd rather just fix it myself then deal with incompetent dealer that will tell me it's normal.

Sponsored

fordtruckman2003

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F-150 FX4 Lariat
Anything special with replacing these batteries? Now that it's getting cold everytime I shut it off I get the power saving message. Auto start doesn't work, start/stop doesn't work, zone lighting and interior lighting doesn't work. Wonderful job Ford 33k miles in '21 and need a new battery.

I'd rather just fix it myself then deal with incompetent dealer that will tell me it's normal.
Go to local store get an H8, or if you have a power boost an H7.

I plan to go to Walmart for my new battery when needed.

Icbmredrat

First Name
Wade
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F-150 XLT 4x4 Supercrew
Got this message this morning after truck been sitting for 16 hours.

Ford F-150 "System Off to Save Battery" message DB4E6FD5-3F97-4F5F-80B9-9950B1977AB2

Samson16

First Name
Kyle
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'22 F-150 XLT Powerboost Super Crew 4x4
Occupation
Aviation systems

I have heard good things about Odyssey but I don't have personal experience with the brand.

Ford F-150 "System Off to Save Battery" message Odyssey.JPG

Kees

First Name
Kees
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 f150 PB
Occupation
Marine biologist
I have a interstate agm h7 from costco that i bought after ford refused to replace my battery under warranty, it worked for about a week and then the low voltage warnings / service charging system soon warnings came back.
I brought it to ford again and again they said everything tested in spec. I now keep one battery on a trickle charger and swap them out when the alerts come back, which is at-least once a week sometimes twice. Incredibly annoying in a truck with less than 10k on it that is my daily driver.

OP
OP
HSV_MIkeJ

HSV_MIkeJ

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.music-by-mike.com
Vehicles
2021 Ford F-150 Lariat, SC Rapid Red
Occupation
DJ

I bought the Interstate H8 AGM for my 2021 Lariat, not a single issue since and everything started working again. The battery cable is long enough for the extra width of the battery and the battery tray is also made to fit the H8 size.

Also I put my Stock battery into my wife's 2013 Toyota Avalon, and it has been working great in there. It is a higher capacity than the stock Toyota battery, the same base size and a little shorter that the stock Toyota battery.
Sponsored