First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 F150 XLT 5.0L 302A Carbonized Gray
Occupation
Retired US Navy; currently DND
After 6 mos of research/trial&error, preceded by at least a year of researching vehicles, got the chance to use the truck for one of the big trips I wanted it for: fairly decent (300mi) road trip to Ucleulet/Tofino followed by 100mi back to a campsite (for mtn biking/camping).
Ford F-150 Summer Road Trip: Surf, Paddle, Bike, Camp (OR Justifying the Rack/Topper Combo) IMG_1581
I’ve posted before on how to combine a Softopper with Adarac and this was THE trip I had in mind for the combo. Two coolers, very large tent, lots of bins, bike rack on the hitch,2 paddleboards (we ended up borrowing surfboards but still got some paddling in), lots of dry food, fire pit (there’s been a fire ban in Bc as the largest forest fires in known history ravage the province), plus family and Labrador retriever. The truck, she was stuffed! Payload sensor hasn’t been reset but was showing close to 1800lbs (it defaults to 300-400 when empty, like many others have described).
Ford F-150 Summer Road Trip: Surf, Paddle, Bike, Camp (OR Justifying the Rack/Topper Combo) IMG_4393
Trip was fairly uneventful. 2 teens and dog fit comfortably in the back with extra stuff, definitely our best road trip vehicle ever. Recent fire near Cameron Lake (between Parksville and Port Alberni) meant some delays getting to Ucluelet but once there, pretty blissful place.
Ford F-150 Summer Road Trip: Surf, Paddle, Bike, Camp (OR Justifying the Rack/Topper Combo) IMG_4426
Ford F-150 Summer Road Trip: Surf, Paddle, Bike, Camp (OR Justifying the Rack/Topper Combo) IMG_1584
Also saw a black bear swimming in Ucluelet Inlet. Not something you see everyday!
Ford F-150 Summer Road Trip: Surf, Paddle, Bike, Camp (OR Justifying the Rack/Topper Combo) IMG_4471

Ford F-150 Summer Road Trip: Surf, Paddle, Bike, Camp (OR Justifying the Rack/Topper Combo) IMG_4472
Trip back was uneventful. 30min delay getting past Cameron Lake, obligatory stop at Goats on the Roof in Coombs, then setup the super-tent and all the trimmings for 3 nights. Saw another family of bears (2 cubs + mama) while out biking in Hanmerfest trails. Little too close for comfort tbh! After camping out of a minivan for years, the tailgate and bed was a great aux food prep/work area, freeing up the picnic table.
Ford F-150 Summer Road Trip: Surf, Paddle, Bike, Camp (OR Justifying the Rack/Topper Combo) IMG_4553

Ford F-150 Summer Road Trip: Surf, Paddle, Bike, Camp (OR Justifying the Rack/Topper Combo) IMG_4552
No issues on the drive back, averaged about 18mpg the whole way. Given the time in traffic, hilly terrain, 2 SUPs and bikes on the rack, didn’t think that was too bad…

What gave us the most confidence was knowing that if the hwy was closed for any extended time, we had a great vehicle to get thru the logging road detour that was available (would have added 3hrs to our trip but fortunately the hwy stayed open albeit with delays).

I was also grateful there wasn’t any big rain while driving. There are sizeable gaps between the Softopper and bed in the corners because of the way I have it setup. I may try some other ways or add some foam to close off those spots
Sponsored

First Name
Todd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
302a crew - 6'5" Sport, Max Tow, FX4
Looks like a great trip! Glad everything worked out the way you wanted.

Calson

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 F-150
I used the Thule rack adapters (Thule artificial raingutters) and through bolted them to the sides of my camper shell. I could remove the cross bars when they were not needed.

https://www.thule.com/en-us/roof-rack/roof-racks-and-accessories/thule-artificial-raingutters-_-1036

I could have the front cross bar mounted on the front of the shell or on the cab of the truck depending on the length of what would be put on the bars.

I always put black curtains on my shell windows so no one can see inside. Most thieves want to know that a truck bed has something of value before breaking inside.

I use the bed for bicycles, firewood, camp fuel, camp chairs, and other items. Kayaks are mounted on the roof rack and I found the Thule Hullivator very useful for getting them from the ground to the top of the truck shell. The Hullivator is iitself heavy so I use it on only one side and then shift the first kayak over to the other side and get it in its saddles.

Melipron

Diamond Sponsor
First Name
Me
Threads
Reaction score
Website
melipron.com
Vehicles
F150
After 6 mos of research/trial&error, preceded by at least a year of researching vehicles, got the chance to use the truck for one of the big trips I wanted it for: fairly decent (300mi) road trip to Ucleulet/Tofino followed by 100mi back to a campsite (for mtn biking/camping).
IMG_1581.jpeg
I’ve posted before on how to combine a Softopper with Adarac and this was THE trip I had in mind for the combo. Two coolers, very large tent, lots of bins, bike rack on the hitch,2 paddleboards (we ended up borrowing surfboards but still got some paddling in), lots of dry food, fire pit (there’s been a fire ban in Bc as the largest forest fires in known history ravage the province), plus family and Labrador retriever. The truck, she was stuffed! Payload sensor hasn’t been reset but was showing close to 1800lbs (it defaults to 300-400 when empty, like many others have described).
IMG_4393.jpeg
Trip was fairly uneventful. 2 teens and dog fit comfortably in the back with extra stuff, definitely our best road trip vehicle ever. Recent fire near Cameron Lake (between Parksville and Port Alberni) meant some delays getting to Ucluelet but once there, pretty blissful place.
IMG_4426.jpeg
IMG_1584.jpeg
Also saw a black bear swimming in Ucluelet Inlet. Not something you see everyday!
IMG_4471.jpeg

IMG_4472.jpeg
Trip back was uneventful. 30min delay getting past Cameron Lake, obligatory stop at Goats on the Roof in Coombs, then setup the super-tent and all the trimmings for 3 nights. Saw another family of bears (2 cubs + mama) while out biking in Hanmerfest trails. Little too close for comfort tbh! After camping out of a minivan for years, the tailgate and bed was a great aux food prep/work area, freeing up the picnic table.
IMG_4553.jpeg

IMG_4552.jpeg
No issues on the drive back, averaged about 18mpg the whole way. Given the time in traffic, hilly terrain, 2 SUPs and bikes on the rack, didn’t think that was too bad…

What gave us the most confidence was knowing that if the hwy was closed for any extended time, we had a great vehicle to get thru the logging road detour that was available (would have added 3hrs to our trip but fortunately the hwy stayed open albeit with delays).

I was also grateful there wasn’t any big rain while driving. There are sizeable gaps between the Softopper and bed in the corners because of the way I have it setup. I may try some other ways or add some foam to close off those spots
Congratulations on having had a really interesting journey!
Sponsored