Sponsored

first road trip in our PB F150

stlgrym3

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 F150 PB Lariat
we drove our 2023 PB F150 from Orange County in socal to Santa Clara this past weekend (no, not for the Cowboys 49ers game, although the convention center my kid was fencing in is next door to Levy Stadium). this was the first long road trip in the truck, overall experience was great. the ride was very comfy (we have the Lariat 20" wheels/tires setup), and the gas mileage was as advertised, we reset the mpg meter after we filled it up at start of the trip, we did not have to refill for the entire 380 miles headed up there, and the mpg display showed 23mpg when we got to santa clara.
Sponsored

Ford Motor Company

Official Ford Account
First Name
Ford
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F-150
we drove our 2023 PB F150 from Orange County in socal to Santa Clara this past weekend (no, not for the Cowboys 49ers game, although the convention center my kid was fencing in is next door to Levy Stadium). this was the first long road trip in the truck, overall experience was great. the ride was very comfy (we have the Lariat 20" wheels/tires setup), and the gas mileage was as advertised, we reset the mpg meter after we filled it up at start of the trip, we did not have to refill for the entire 380 miles headed up there, and the mpg display showed 23mpg when we got to santa clara.
Thrilled to hear you love being behind the wheel of your F-150!

Samson16

First Name
Kyle
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'22 F-150 XLT Powerboost Super Crew 4x4
Occupation
Aviation systems
I’m driving in the mountains for the first time with my ‘22 PB and I wish I knew when the regen braking stops and mechanical braking begins. It is a wonderful control device for managing twisting narrow downhill runs but I don’t want to ride the rotors either. 🧐

Snakebitten

First Name
Bruce
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 F150 KingRanch Powerboost
I have no way of knowing whether the truck is blending regen with friction, but you can kind of feeeeel it once regen hits about 130 Amps. (~37KW. 40KW is the published max I believe)

That's pretty close to it's max, so further increase of deceleration would likely be friction.

Samson16

First Name
Kyle
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Aviation systems
How does that work when it’s a little braking for a long time? Once the HVB is not taking any more charging current will the regen stop and friction braking take over? I can feeel that subtle crunch when I press hard enough, but with soft pressure prolonged regen braking 🤷🏻‍♂️

Sponsored

Snakebitten

First Name
Bruce
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 F150 KingRanch Powerboost
Regen is the one charging current that the HV battery management allows the SOC to go beyond ~63%

I've seen regen push the SOC to 70%

But yea, at some point regen is no longer allowed to take place. On flat ground you would rarely experience it though. The fellas monitoring the HV current pid and are in mountainous areas will know more about what it feeeeels like to run out of regen.

By the way, just coasting, with no pressure on the brake pedal creates regen. That deceleration is not pure coasting. I immediately see 15-20Amps of regen by letting off the accelerator.

Gros Ventre

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Powerboost
On my PB you cannot sense the kickin of Regen. This is different from my Escape Hybrid. On that one you can sense the slowing of it and it is particularly noticeable when Low is slected on the shifter. But on the F150 when the powerflow screen is selected you can see the regen. I've wondered why Ford programmed differently. I suspect it has more to do with the fact of the F150 being heaver than the Escape Hybrid.

Samson16

First Name
Kyle
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Aviation systems
Regen is the one charging current that the HV battery management allows the SOC to go beyond ~63%

I've seen regen push the SOC to 70%

But yea, at some point regen is no longer allowed to take place. On flat ground you would rarely experience it though. The fellas monitoring the HV current pid and are in mountainous areas will know more about what it feeeeels like to run out of regen.

By the way, just coasting, with no pressure on the brake pedal creates regen. That deceleration is not pure coasting. I immediately see 15-20Amps of regen by letting off the accelerator.
That’s very nice 👍. I kept imagining towing a 7,500lb trailer behind me on I-40 between Asheville and Gatlinburg, and I wanted more brakes and a more planted suspension lol. I will be a newbie to towing and mountain driving. It’s so beautiful up here it feels unreal.

Samson16

First Name
Kyle
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Aviation systems
Update: I increased the tire pressure to 36.5 cold/39 warm and used tow haul mode and she tightened right up on the downhill runs. Just figuring things out 😊

dmac

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2015 5.0 (sold), 21 PB (sold), 22 5.0
Occupation
Gearhead!
I’m driving in the mountains for the first time with my ‘22 PB and I wish I knew when the regen braking stops and mechanical braking begins. It is a wonderful control device for managing twisting narrow downhill runs but I don’t want to ride the rotors either. 🧐
I believe EV coach gives you that answer if I recall correctly.

As the battery gets charged, that white threshold on the left gets closer and closer to center.

I commuted my powerboost in the sierras, and going up 2k then down 4k feet over 25 miles, I realized that no matter what, battery would fill up (and kick on engine braking), so I would just lock out gears (usually 8th and below) and drive smoothly.

Of course there are some times where you really want to coax the motor into shutting off (need to accelerate sometimes to deplete charge, then re-brake to kill the motor). I made use of manual mode too if I didnt want to play the force off game and would just pick up speed in 10th gear with engine slightly braking at 1.2k rpms.

Big mpg plug though was going uphill. HUGE gains if you keep revs around 2.3 - 2.7 k and stay out of boost and below 65mph.

I also tell myself to keep eyes on the road too....

Last edited:

Sponsored

Samson16

First Name
Kyle
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Aviation systems
Great post and thanks 🙏

Melipron

Diamond Sponsor
First Name
Me
Threads
Reaction score
Website
melipron.com
Vehicles
F150
Looking forward to your camping trip gear!
Sponsored