DanielBoca

First Name
Daniel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Platinum PowerBoost
Hi everyone,

I've replaced my Platinum factory tires (Hankook) with the same size, 275/60/20 BFGoodrich Trail-Terrain T/A. They look very well, no extra noise, similar millage but the weird thing is rubbing when taking max turns. There is this flimsy protection on the upper inside part that is touching, especially when the tire moves in reverse.
I suspect the tires are slightly wider, anyone experiencing something similar or what to do ?
That cover seems very easy cut with some scissors about 1 inch or even push it a bit more inwards, it just returns after a while (looks lole some carton or soft material mud protector).

Thanks

Ford F-150 Stock 275/60/20 BFGoodrich Trail-Terrain T/A rubbing BE6146D4-40B0-498B-AF77-0DC7203C3F5D

Ford F-150 Stock 275/60/20 BFGoodrich Trail-Terrain T/A rubbing 521133F7-CE6B-42E9-BD4F-547CD9EB6289

Ford F-150 Stock 275/60/20 BFGoodrich Trail-Terrain T/A rubbing D7EAFDAE-59CE-46C9-8DC0-DDDBD63C07C2
Sponsored

dolsen

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Rapid Red 701A
It appears, according to Tire Rack, the BFG is almost an inch wider, so it sits 1/2" further into the wheel well

Ford F-150 Stock 275/60/20 BFGoodrich Trail-Terrain T/A rubbing 1669808468912

dolsen

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Rapid Red 701A
Is the wheel well liner sitting in the wheel well correctly? that is another thing to consider before trimming

Cb Mw

First Name
Brett
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Bike
I have this same issue from the factory with stock wheels and tires. Will need to take a closer look when it warms up a bit.

12Lariat21

First Name
Jonathan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Lariat 502A
Occupation
Engineering Manager
I have the same issue with my right front. For me comparing it to the left, you can see the plastic/fabric liner is bowed out, probably stored bent at the factory, and retained its shape. It shouldn't be that way. I have yet to try it, but I was going to try heating it up and see if I can't reform it to not protrude out into the tire space...but that is a lot of effort for what is a minor annoyance, and it's winter now in MN so won't even be an attempt for another 6 months...

Sponsored

OP
OP
DanielBoca

DanielBoca

First Name
Daniel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Platinum PowerBoost
Thanks for the tip with Tire Rack, it makes sense now. I don't think it's a big issue overall, I have to figure out if replacing the liner will help or just trimming it a bit.

Ford F-150 Stock 275/60/20 BFGoodrich Trail-Terrain T/A rubbing EC0C0BBE-2502-4E31-95C6-7441DACC4FD2

dolsen

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Rapid Red 701A
If it is just that one corner, I would just trim it, but it's your truck, not mine

Zyvin

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150 Crew, FX4, Lariat
I'd put a zip tie through it, pull it, and attach the other end around something. But, I also have a boat motor held on by duct tape.

wessermgm

First Name
Wes
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Platinum SCrew, Smoked Quartz, 701a, FX4
If it is just that one corner, I would just trim it, but it's your truck, not mine
Either that or take it to the dealer and tell them to replace it.

dolsen

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Rapid Red 701A
Either that or take it to the dealer and tell them to replace it.
That’s also an option, but if the dealer doesn’t have the part or can’t get to it for weeks/months like most dealers, or if he doesn’t have a dealer he can trust which seems to be too often the case, a simple trim may be a better option.

And that’s assuming the dealer considers it “warrantable”

Sponsored

wessermgm

First Name
Wes
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
That’s also an option, but if the dealer doesn’t have the part or can’t get to it for weeks/months like most dealers, or if he doesn’t have a dealer he can trust which seems to be too often the case, a simple trim may be a better option.

And that’s assuming the dealer considers it “warrantable”
It goes beyond a mere product defect. Ford dealers are supposed to inspect the vehicle on arrival. This is clear evidence that this dealer didn’t as any perfunctory inspection would reveal that liner bent towards the tire. That BFG is .2” larger in diameter than the Hankook. My KO2s are 1.7” larger and dont rub at all. That piece is bent significantly and should have caught before they delivered it. Thus, this isn’t just a Ford quality control issue, it is also a dealer one as well.

OP
OP
DanielBoca

DanielBoca

First Name
Daniel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Platinum PowerBoost
Yeah, quality control seems something that Ford and its dealers are slowing forgetting about, especially at trims levels where they pretend exactly that, extra quality for the extra buck. I don't want to start here, but there are many little things that bother me about this new truck: lots of rust of rear diff cover, front doors slightly miss aligned and wind noise above 45mph, door panels vibrating when using B&O at 15+ (half volume), etc. I just need to go back to the dealer after the holidays, last time they kept my car for 2+ weeks to tell me that they couldn't fix or confirm those issues :) So I'm adding one more to the list.

dolsen

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Rapid Red 701A
It goes beyond a mere product defect. Ford dealers are supposed to inspect the vehicle on arrival. This is clear evidence that this dealer didn’t as any perfunctory inspection would reveal that liner bent towards the tire. That BFG is .2” larger in diameter than the Hankook. My KO2s are 1.7” larger and dont rub at all. That piece is bent significantly and should have caught before they delivered it. Thus, this isn’t just a Ford quality control issue, it is also a dealer one as well.
You certainly won’t get any argument from me about the point you’re making. But for me personally, it isn’t a good use of my time to waste it screwing with a dealer over a misshapen wheel well liner.

AND since OP was the one that had the idea of trimming it, it’s something he is willing to do and was not some outside of the box suggestion that I made, so I’m not entirely certain why you chose mypost to respond to

wessermgm

First Name
Wes
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
You certainly won’t get any argument from me about the point you’re making. But for me personally, it isn’t a good use of my time to waste it screwing with a dealer over a misshapen wheel well liner.

AND since OP was the one that had the idea of trimming it, it’s something he is willing to do and was not some outside of the box suggestion that I made, so I’m not entirely certain why you chose mypost to respond to
Oh, I’m not taking any exception to your point. If he wants to trim it, go for it. Certainly is easier. These dealers that don’t do their job and then try to argue that you voided your warranty by doing this and that just hack me off. If you heard any enmity in my comment it was due to them not you.

dolsen

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Rapid Red 701A
Oh, I’m not taking any exception to your point. If he wants to trim it, go for it. Certainly is easier. These dealers that don’t do their job and then try to argue that you voided your warranty by doing this and that just hack me off. If you heard any enmity in my comment it was due to them not you.
Yea, I misunderstood you then, thanks for the clarification.
Sponsored