Sponsored

Sport Mode.

Davexxxx

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 PB 501a 4x4 short bed 7.2KW. PL=1658lbs.
Its not like I was avoiding it, just never felt the need, or even the curiosity before yesterday.

Normal has all I've needed and more than I've ever had.

ECO is nice, if you're in that kind of mood.

Tow haul did its job.

Once during a rain, after being really dry for a long time, I used Slippery. I couldn't really feel anything different but maybe thats the point.

For whatever reason, I tried sport mode yesterday.

Holy Cats!

Had an unusually long merge lane and just so happened, another truck was coming up fast. Decided to put my foot in it and see what happens. The term, striped ass ape, comes to mind. Made the merge effortlessly and then slowed back to the speed limit in the RH lane. The guy in the other truck went past and had curious look on his face.

I'm not saying I couldn't get used to it but for daily driving, throttle response is at a whole different level and I'm sure the turbos were gulping fuel.
Sponsored

Groovicles

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 F150 XLT PB
Its not like I was avoiding it, just never felt the need, or even the curiosity before yesterday.

Normal has all I've needed and more than I've ever had.

ECO is nice, if you're in that kind of mood.

Tow haul did its job.

Once during a rain, after being really dry for a long time, I used Slippery. I couldn't really feel anything different but maybe thats the point.

For whatever reason, I tried sport mode yesterday.

Holy Cats!

Had an unusually long merge lane and just so happened, another truck was coming up fast. Decided to put my foot in it and see what happens. The term, striped ass ape, comes to mind. Made the merge effortlessly and then slowed back to the speed limit in the RH lane. The guy in the other truck went past and had curious look on his face.

I'm not saying I couldn't get used to it but for daily driving, throttle response is at a whole different level and I'm sure the turbos were gulping fuel.
I'm the same with my PB! I'm usually in eco and normal is just a treat. The other modes do the job well enough that I forget there was any reason to using them. But it's nice to know you have Sport in your back pocket for those situations where you need to remind everyone else their place (second place) 😉

OP
OP
Davexxxx

Davexxxx

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
But it's nice to know you have Sport in your back pocket for those situations where you need to remind everyone else their place (second place) 😉
I can see how a person could get cocky about it.

For sure.

JExpedition07

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 F-150 STX 5.0L V8
First time I used sport mode merging in my 5.0 I actually scared myself, but I also made the mistake of putting the pedal all the way to the floor not realizing what 400 horsepower was going to do coming from a 2007 Expedition with the 5.4 (that i mashed often merging). After it passed 60 mph the truck started pulling so hard and hit the governor before I could blink and my knuckles went white. Even after I let go of the accelerator it felt dangerously fast coming up on traffic. I think the new truck accelerates faster at half throttle than my old 5.4 did wide open. That was very early on in my ownership experience, sport mode is an animal for sure. I was assuming it was going to be a gimmick but that drive proved me wrong. I don’t think I’ve used it since.

It kept the engine up near 7,000 rpm and held the gears long, the rush of power from in front of me can be best described as a freight train pulling you forward and you are the weight of a dead leaf. Especially how fast that 60-105 MPH stretch was, hits that governor so fast it’s ridiculous.

Last edited:

Sponsored

Samson16

First Name
Kyle
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'22 F-150 XLT Powerboost Super Crew 4x4
Occupation
Aviation systems
Sport mode with traction control off and it drives like the 430hp/570tq monster it really is lol.
The transmission comes alive as does the throttle response.

Revz

First Name
Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
21 F150 XLT 3.5EB
I really enjoyed this post.
I had my boys (10 and 12) in the back seat the first time I tried sport mode, from a stop at an empty intersection. They both exclaimed “What was that?!?”, and looking in the rear view I could see them grinning ear-to-ear.

OP
OP
Davexxxx

Davexxxx

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Sport mode with traction control off and it drives like the 430hp/570tq monster it really is lol.
The transmission comes alive as does the throttle response.
Loved how you described it. Yep. Its kind of a sleeper.

All Oxford White, in full chrome. Grandpa's grocery getter.

He, he.

kevdog0710

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 F150 Lariat Supercrew
Occupation
Union Carpenter
I've had my truck a year now, never been in sport mode. I'll have to try it. The Lariats switch to 4A in Sport, so traction won't be an issue.
I've only mashed the pedal 1 time, that was in Normal Mode. My kids screamed in a mix of fear and excitement. I cant imagine what sport must do?!

• Haha
Reactions: 780

SpaceWhiteF150

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150
I had the same reaction the first time I tried it. I have to leave it in Normal or Eco. If I leave it in Sport, I'll get speeding tickets.
I can confirm that speeding tickets result from sport mode.

Sponsored

Henfield

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 XLT Screw 5.0,4x4,302Asport,
I had the same reaction the first time I tried it. I have to leave it in Normal or Eco. If I leave it in Sport, I'll get speeding tickets.
I'm with you 100%. The change in behavior of the truck is incredible.....

OP
OP
Davexxxx

Davexxxx

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
I've had my truck a year now, never been in sport mode. I'll have to try it. The Lariats switch to 4A in Sport, so traction won't be an issue.
I've only mashed the pedal 1 time, that was in Normal Mode. My kids screamed in a mix of fear and excitement. I cant imagine what sport must do?!
Give yourself some room. 80+, comes in a blink.

powerboatr

First Name
Robert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 F150 King Ranch 4x4
Occupation
Retired Navy Senior Chief
yes sport mode is a nice CHANGE from hum drum
i use it on a back country 2 lane curvy road on my way to the doc its 20 or so miles with hills, dips, curves and it is so much fun
and flat out merge to highway...zoom zoom and hey its 100 mph... slow down

slippery i used last feb during our snow ice event...it made truck feel sluggish and weird to me.
Sponsored