Sport mode launching

blueovalguy

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Lariat Powerboost
I am curious, when in sport mode at a light my truck turns to electric mode. When the engine kicks back on I see it takes a second or two for oil pressure to build back up. In that second or two, is it safe to go wide open? I woulda thought sport mode turned off the electric only mode. Appreciate your input. Sorry for the rookie question.
Sponsored

Knickell

First Name
Kyle
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mazda Protege, Ford F-150
I am curious, when in sport mode at a light my truck turns to electric mode. When the engine kicks back on I see it takes a second or two for oil pressure to build back up. In that second or two, is it safe to go wide open? I woulda thought sport mode turned off the electric only mode. Appreciate your input. Sorry for the rookie question.
I would say it’s a safe bet that the truck will ultimately do whatever the computer deems is safe for it. If you stomp on the gas at that time, the truck will probably only make as much power is as safe with no issues.

To slightly back up that theory, if your truck is in park and the gas engine is on, and you rev the engine, you’ll notice the truck is automatically programmed to hit a rev limiter around 4,500 rpms to protect the engine.

jcaspar

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F-150 4x4
I notice in mine that when in Sport mode, the engine starts immediately when I lift my foot off the brake. In other modes it won't start till I push on the throttle partway.

Knickell

First Name
Kyle
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mazda Protege, Ford F-150
I notice in mine that when in Sport mode, the engine starts immediately when I lift my foot off the brake. In other modes it won't start till I push on the throttle partway.
Yea, has to have the engine and transmission ready to go. If it’s in that dumb Auto Stop/Start mode you lose time off the line.

jcaspar

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F-150 4x4
Yea, has to have the engine and transmission ready to go. If it’s in that dumb Auto Stop/Start mode you lose time off the line.
Yes. Nice feature!

Sponsored

OP
OP

blueovalguy

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Lariat Powerboost
There is no way to turn off the engine stop in sport mode right? On a powerboost

discothan

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150 XLT
There is no way to turn off the engine stop in sport mode right? On a powerboost
I know that FORscan can be used to turn off AUTOSTOP. The assumption is that this is turned off in all drive modes. There is also an aftermarket in-line device you can buy to do the same thing.

diesel97

First Name
rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Ford Edge
Occupation
electrical
Are you talking auto start-stop or E-mode in the PB? same but different

OP
OP

blueovalguy

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Lariat Powerboost
Are you talking auto start-stop or E-mode in the PB? same but different
Correct. Specifically on the Powerboost. Seeing the start/stop is diff on the hybrid

Dan

First Name
Danny
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F150
Occupation
Construction
Correct. Specifically on the Powerboost. Seeing the start/stop is diff on the hybrid
There is no start stop mode for poweeboost. Plus with the hybrid it helps with the take off. I love how it just travels from 0 to max speed in seconds. Not so good for fuel by hey it puts a great smile on my face. Driving a truck that can go that fast so quick.

Sponsored

Crapblaster

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150 King Ranch
I noticed that mine did the same thing today. I would think sport mode should always keep the engine running.

keithw1975

First Name
Keith
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150 302A, 2023 Explorer ST, 1999 Ram 3500
I think Tow Haul mode keeps the engine on. I have only played around with it briefly.

OP
OP

blueovalguy

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Lariat Powerboost
Simply plug in a hairdryer or two in the bed so they consume >2400 watts, it will keep the engine on continuously even at stops ;)
Lol I can see it now. Stomping on a Silverado while blending margaritas, and blowing hot air at him!
Sponsored