Sponsored

Some dealer help - am I being taken for a ride, or is it just impatience on my part?

truckeenick

First Name
Nicholas
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Land Cruiser 100 series, Lexus GX
Hi all,

I'm looking for a little insight from the experience others have had with ordering an F150. I placed a deposit on a new F150 lariat on March 21st, just under 3 weeks ago. At that time, on a Sunday, I was told that the order would be placed with Ford on the following Monday the 22nd. I reached out to my sales rep that week to confirm the order went through, but he was unable at that point to give me an order number with Ford. I have continued to follow up multiple times, but at no point have I been given any paperwork or confirmation other than "Yeah man, we got the order in".

This week I have been continuing to ask for paperwork, and was told that the ford system was down so he was unable to provide me with any details on where my order is in the process.

At this point I'm feeling a bit like I'm getting led around, and my hunches are normally pretty good on that. Did other people have more concrete information provided to them on their order before a build week or VIN getting assigned? Should I be running away from this dealership and demanding my deposit back?

Thanks for any perspectives.
Sponsored

mmdpg

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2008 Bullitt Mustang, 2021 F-150 Lariat
Occupation
Retired
I was given a sheet with the title "Preview Order XXXX" showing all the options I wanted on the truck with pricing and an order code that we used to negotiate the price of the truck. We came to an agreement on the price and I left a $500 deposit. This all happened at my first (and so far only) visit to the dealership.

A couple weeks later I emailed my salesman and asked that he confirm the order when in and he said it did. 3 days later he emailed me with the VIN and I have been watching the progress since using the VIN and order number on the tracker.

CommoSGT

First Name
Ken
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2016 F150 Lariat SCrew, 2021 F150 Lariat SCrew
Occupation
Engineer
I turned in my order and had a VIN 3 days later. I would find out who does the ordering at your dealership and talk to them directly. Ask them what the order number and VIN are. What day it was picked up by Ford..etc.

Mixxfixx

First Name
TJ
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Coming who knows when 202? F150 screw Lariat
Occupation
Professor
Ordered March 15th
Got order number March 25th
Still under process April 8th (no vin yet)

KBKEITH

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 F-150 XLT SCREW 5.5, BAP, 3.5EB
I had a copy of the order sheet the day I was at the dealership making my order. The order number is on that sheet.

Seems like if they actually placed your order they could print that sheet out and give you a copy.

Ford F-150 Some dealer help - am I being taken for a ride, or is it just impatience on my part? 1618009401296

Sponsored

texag

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2010 Silverado
I was given a sheet with the title "Preview Order XXXX" showing all the options I wanted on the truck with pricing and an order code that we used to negotiate the price of the truck. We came to an agreement on the price and I left a $500 deposit. This all happened at my first (and so far only) visit to the dealership.

A couple weeks later I emailed my salesman and asked that he confirm the order when in and he said it did. 3 days later he emailed me with the VIN and I have been watching the progress since using the VIN and order number on the tracker.
This was my exact experience as well. I used a verisign app thing to sign confirming the dealer had all my options correct and then put down my $500 deposit to have the order placed.

NumbersGuy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Ford F150 King Ranch
I put my order in with a salesman on 12/17. Order was placed on 12/22, and I had a VIN 3 weeks later.

Didn’t hear anything from the time I placed the order to getting the VIN.

Madman

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
3 Ford Explorers
Occupation
Engineer
Hi all,

I'm looking for a little insight from the experience others have had with ordering an F150. I placed a deposit on a new F150 lariat on March 21st, just under 3 weeks ago. At that time, on a Sunday, I was told that the order would be placed with Ford on the following Monday the 22nd. I reached out to my sales rep that week to confirm the order went through, but he was unable at that point to give me an order number with Ford. I have continued to follow up multiple times, but at no point have I been given any paperwork or confirmation other than "Yeah man, we got the order in".

This week I have been continuing to ask for paperwork, and was told that the ford system was down so he was unable to provide me with any details on where my order is in the process.

At this point I'm feeling a bit like I'm getting led around, and my hunches are normally pretty good on that. Did other people have more concrete information provided to them on their order before a build week or VIN getting assigned? Should I be running away from this dealership and demanding my deposit back?

Thanks for any perspectives.
You are not being played. Lots of us have similar stories. I ordered my truck 14 weeks ago. It took 7 weeks to get a VIN and 12 weeks to get a Window Sticker. The Tracker has never updated from ‘Ordered’.

Meanwhile, my dealer said as recently as yesterday that my truck was being built this week.

It’s not.

(Sigh)

Fathardtail

First Name
Melinda
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F-150 Platinum Powerboost
Occupation
Entrepreneur
Same story here. Exactly. Ordered end of Feb. Have a build date of April 19th but no actual documentation of that (despite asking) and no VIN.

Ford4Ever

First Name
Dennis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
18 Taurus SEL AWD, 21 F150 Lariat 502a
Order was place with the dealer on 5 March and according to tracking, confirmed the same day. Got the VIN about 2 weeks later.

Ford F-150 Some dealer help - am I being taken for a ride, or is it just impatience on my part? 411

Sponsored

KartRacer25

First Name
Richard
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F-150 SuperCab Sport 4x4 5.0 3.73 Space White
Occupation
Senior Software Engineer
Yeh I don't think they have to give you that sheet and order number but after reading post here I insisted on a print out before I left dealer and got one. So you should ask for a printout or ask sales person to take a pic for you. At minimum so you can at least review the order and make sure its all correct. You may still have time to make changes before its "picked up" or whatever they call it by Ford. Good post here somewhere about it. Check priority code too default is 19 best is 10.

Ron

First Name
Ron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2011 F150, Soon to be 2021 hybrid
I initially placed my order on Saturday March 20th, one day before yourself. I contacted the sales girl the next day about a couple changes that had to be made before it went out the next day and was confirmed it was no problem and taken care of! Reached out midweek to confirm without a response. I checked back in on Friday of that week directly to the order guy who had clearly never been informed before their order had gone out on Monday the 22nd... Sure tried to give me a heart attack that it could no longer be changed... but I had documentation and they got it fixed and changes confirmed the next Tues 30th.
Long story short, despite all of that I just got both an order # and VIN (Thurs Apr 8th) 18 days after initial dealership order was placed and 10 days after last changes confirmed.
I was very surprised it came that quick honestly, especially given the changes, etc. I had scheduled to make myself wait one more week on my calendar before the next dealer bugging...
Given my experience with an order going out same day as yours, hopefully it's coming soon!...
Wait is tough.. but I really don't think you have anything to worry about yet....
Now I'm waiting on the long game... Ive already got those #'s memorized from entering into the tracking system..... And from what I'm seeing on here maybe I could have a truck in a month or six!?.
I only wish they would let us pick them up from the factory, do a tour and save that D&D money and time shipping.

Last edited:

2021Platinum

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150 Platinum
Ordered 2/10 & just got picked up this week to be built the week of June 7th. hoping it comes in before my PCO expires On July 17th.
Sponsored