• Welcome to F150Lightningforum.com everyone!

If you're joining us from F150gen14.com, then you may already have an account here!

If you were registered on F150gen14.com as of April 16, 2022 or earlier, then you can simply login here with the same username and password!

Sponsored

So whats the deal with the Platinum Lightning?

Lime Green

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F-350, Expedition Max, Tesla...
The massaging seats alone would probably make up at least $3k of that difference...ever looked at how much those things cost?
It is also a two-tone interior with white/black. All other trims are just straight black.
Lariat trim is actually two-tone black and dark grey. IMO, it looks kinda plain or understated compared to other seating I've seen on Lariat F-150s, but it's fine. I kinda like it. Saw it at the Ford roadshow event.

I agree the massage seat function ads some value. In the end, I'm probably going to go Platinum. I don't want to spend the extra money for it, but my pricing is good (under MSRP) and then I can just have everything I want. I do want the massage seats and I like the contrast of the black and light grey leather, better sound system... I'll probably sell the 22" wheels for aftermarket 20" when other options appear, but maybe they'll be fine. I'd prefer to have that extra bit of range back and an extra inch of sidewall would be nice too...
Sponsored

Griddlez

First Name
Griddlez
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
22 Lightning Lariat ER - 21 Mach-E Prem AWD/ER
Since range got brought up in this thread - Edmunds in their tests put the Rivian R1T at 319 miles (few miles above their EPA 314 range) in real world testing with a 135kW usable battery. The R1T weighs more than the Lightning and also has 4 motors instead of the Lightning's 2. Yes the Lightning is wider and taller but I would think the R1T's numbers would give Lightning owners some hope in getting 300 miles at least if not more.

cdubculvy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Honda Ridgeline
I could see having summer and winter tires where I live, standard AT for winter and some super low rolling resistance summer tires to increase range. On my 2005 Nissan Titan the BFG KO2’s cost me 20% in highway mpg.
Wow 20% is a huge hit, was there a big difference in size/weight? Lots of factors to consider. KO2's definitely aren't a super-efficient road tire, I get it. My plan is to find the best-looking/riding tires that still give me a range I'm okay with. I'm sure people will quickly discover alternative options to the factory ones that are liveable. Will also be interesting to see what kind of lift/leving kits are developed and how that affects range. One big advantage of the Cybertruck is the active suspension being able to lower for hwy driving.

broncoaz

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Bronco 2 door Badlands manual
Wow 20% is a huge hit, was there a big difference in size/weight? Lots of factors to consider. KO2's definitely aren't a super-efficient road tire, I get it. My plan is to find the best-looking/riding tires that still give me a range I'm okay with. I'm sure people will quickly discover alternative options to the factory ones that are liveable. Will also be interesting to see what kind of lift/leving kits are developed and how that affects range. One big advantage of the Cybertruck is the active suspension being able to lower for hwy driving.
I went from a 32.6” 265/70R18 Goodyear Wrangler p rated stock tire to a 32.8”285/70R17 BFG KO2 D rated for towing. The 285/70R17 was the stock tire for the offroad package on that truck. The BFG was 20mm wider and significantly heavier. Fuel economy on stock tires was 15 city 19 highway and dropped to 12 mpg city and 15 mpg highway on the BFG’s.

Skinny tires on the Lightning could be the way to go for best economy. Look at the factory tires on a BMW I3, 155/70R19 pizza cutters. 255/70R18 are the same 32.1” diameter as the stock 275/65R18 tires. Finding a lightweight tire in the skinnier size with low rolling resistance and equivalent load rating should improve range. Add in some aerodynamic lightweight wheels and you’re doing well. There might be other issues with traction or handling on the pizza cutters, but I’m sure people here will experiment. There is probably an equivalent skinny tire for the 20” size, but the ride and range should be better with 18”. I’m sure any of us Pro folks would be interested in someone else’s XLT or Lariat 20“ takeoffs.

I’m thinking we’ll see more people lowering these to make them more slippery for the wind rather than lifting them and ruining the aerodynamics. Someone will probably fit a set of airbags to be able to lower the ride height on the highway or raise it for offroad. I’m sure SEMA 2022 will showcase a ton of Lightnings, likely some rolling on 37” tires but I would expect more sleds.

Last edited:

cdubculvy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Honda Ridgeline
I went from a 32.6” 265/70R18 Goodyear Wrangler p rated stock tire to a 32.8”285/70R17 BFG KO2 D rated for towing. The 285/70R17 was the stock tire for the offroad package on that truck. The BFG was 20mm wider and significantly heavier. Fuel economy on stock tires was 15 city 19 highway and dropped to 12 mpg city and 15 mpg highway on the BFG’s.

Skinny tires on the Lightning could be the way to go for best economy. Look at the factory tires on a BMW I3, 155/70R19 pizza cutters. 255/70R18 are the same 32.1” diameter as the stock 275/65R18 tires. Finding a lightweight tire in the skinnier size with low rolling resistance and equivalent load rating should improve range. Add in some aerodynamic lightweight wheels and you’re doing well. There might be other issues with traction or handling on the pizza cutters, but I’m sure people here will experiment. There is probably an equivalent skinny tire for the 20” size, but the ride and range should be better with 18”. I’m sure any of us Pro folks would be interested in someone else’s XLT or Lariat 20“ takeoffs.

I’m thinking we’ll see more people lowering these to make them more slippery for the wind rather than lifting them and ruining the aerodynamics. Someone will probably fit a set of airbags to be able to lower the ride height on the highway or raise it for offroad. I’m sure SEMA 2022 will showcase a ton of Lightnings, likely some rolling on 37” tires but I would expect more sleds.
Yeah less contact patch equals less friction for sure. Other big factor is air pressure/sidewall flex. Some people get a different tire and it rides rougher, so they lower air pressure. Might have to keep these things pumped up to get good range. Hopefully the massive weight of the truck will keep it riding fairly nice.

Sponsored

cts888

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Chevy Bolt, Ford Escape
Since range got brought up in this thread - Edmunds in their tests put the Rivian R1T at 319 miles (few miles above their EPA 314 range) in real world testing with a 135kW usable battery. The R1T weighs more than the Lightning and also has 4 motors instead of the Lightning's 2. Yes the Lightning is wider and taller but I would think the R1T's numbers would give Lightning owners some hope in getting 300 miles at least if not more.
The edmunds test is 60% around town 40% highway.

There is no doubt that the lightning will break 300 miles if you are driving around town. The main question to me is who cares about around town driving? Having an EV with good range only matters for long highway stretches of driving. I could care less about how much I get around town since I can plug in every night.

On the Rivian forums there is only one example of someones real world range and he mentioned that on the highway he gets 240 miles of range when charged to 100%. This is on a smaller, more aerodynamic vehicle than the lightning.

My guess is that the ext battery lighting will be lucky to break 240 miles on a road trip (unless you stick to 50mph). Anything more would be awesome.

EPA should show how far an EV can get on the highway, cause that is all that matters. Do a 75mph straight shot test then let me know the range.

rdr854

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
18 Volvo V90, 22 Ford F150 Lightning, 23 Outback
What is the standard tire size for the Lariat? Is it the same as the All Terrain tire?

RidetheLightning

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'13 C-Max Energi,'22 F150L Plat 8/1 build date
If you think you will be able to get more than 300 miles (especially on the highway) you are going to be very dissapointed. I've had 4 EV's and that just aint happening.
I agree with you as far as normal drivers go driving 75mph on the freeway. I think we will see more than 300 miles though, if only from the hypermilers who run high tire pressures, drive slowly on freeways, among other hypermiling tricks. (without any mods to the truck) With mods, you’ll see some trips that well exceed 300, I’d imagine. Personally, on long trips I’m going to be calculating speed vs. time to next charging station vs. charging speed of next charging station. The slower the charge and the farther away, the slower I go, because it won’t save me any time by driving fast.

Last edited:

sotek2345

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Lightning Lariat ER, 2021 Mach-e GT
Occupation
Engineering Manager

Did the same switch and got about the same results. Still love the way the tires look and perform though. For my Lightning I plan on staying stock.

Tenetke

First Name
Stuart
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
‘22 Lightning Platinum, ‘21 Aviator, ‘23 Bronco WT
Occupation
dad

I’ve been thinking of airbags for a Lightning. I’ll be switching out the wheels for sure. Might get two sets for the times I go branding the other for when I’m at home. Not too concerned about the range as long as it’s over 200 miles, that should get me to any charger away from my solar at home.

Sponsored

O’Majestic1’slightnigF150

First Name
Robert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F350 F250 F250 Taurus Cessna Super Air Natique
Occupation
Retired Engineer & Product Developer
Platinum wheel question. I took the 20’s off my ‘20 super duty Limited and stored them. I think those 20 wheels and tires would look nice on the Lightning Platinum. I wonder if they will fit!? Yes. I did order a Platinum in Wave 3. As I’ve said before. My next mode of transportation will be a drone wheelchair so don’t hate.

p52Ranch

First Name
Bryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
XLT Lightning, Badlands 7MT, New Holland 4030
Platinum wheel question. I took the 20’s off my ‘20 super duty Limited and stored them. I think those 20 wheels and tires would look nice on the Lightning Platinum. I wonder if they will fit!? Yes. I did order a Platinum in Wave 3. As I’ve said before. My next mode of transportation will be a drone wheelchair so don’t hate.
A Super Duty has eight bolt lugs. The lightning has six bolt lugs.

Lime Green

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F-350, Expedition Max, Tesla...
I don't think we know specifics yet on the center bore diameter and offset that Ford is shooting for here. I think they're still the same 6-bolt Ford pattern, which means wheels from your super duty won't fit. That said, the biggest factor to consider is the load rating of the wheels you want to use. The Lightning being a good bit heavier than the rest of the F-150 lineup.

22" as the only wheel option on the Platinum is a really stupid decision, IMO.

I moved my reservation, hoping to get a truck this year. Still undecided on Platinum vs. Lariat...
Sponsored