• Welcome to F150Lightningforum.com everyone!

If you're joining us from F150gen14.com, then you may already have an account here!

If you were registered on F150gen14.com as of April 16, 2022 or earlier, then you can simply login here with the same username and password!

Sponsored

Anyone opting for the Lightning Platinum? Care to tell me why?

SmoothJ

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150 HEV
I ordered the Platinum with a 21 F150 Lariat PB HEV as the trade. Costs aspects aside, I picked the truck for certain features. However, I do agree with the rims are not the best, and might possibly switch them out as soon as I able to.
Sponsored

vardelda

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Falcon9
Occupation
Gemini
Seats still have the massaging feature when adding the max recline.
yes. my point was that, at this level, most will opt for the max recline which makes the throw-in of "just massaging" in the base Platinum package of little value to anyone.

tbinmd

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
18 KR F150
yes. my point was that, at this level, most will opt for the max recline which makes the throw-in of "just massaging" in the base Platinum package of little value to anyone.
Sorry still don't get your point. You're adding a feature and not loosing the massaging. I'm not sure I see the $345 value to the max recline, considering you have to have the rear seat up. I doubt I will add the option.

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Audi Q5, Porsche Cayenne Hybrid
Occupation
Financial Advisor
Itā€™s tough, because itā€™s nuts for me to spend 91k. Insanity. But 80k is also a crap ton, and that is before taxes and fees and stuff. If Iā€™m going to spend almost as much as my parents did on their house in the 90s, maybe I should at least get everything I want.
That is exactly how I feel! Iā€™m saving a lot of money now realistically waiting until mid to late 2023ā€¦so Iā€™m going for the top trim! Also, the luxury features should age very well, and I intend to have this truck for a long time. I realize itā€™s a bit over the top, but I canā€™t help but be drawn to the Platinum over the Lariat!

broncoaz

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Bronco 2 door Badlands manual
That is exactly how I feel! Iā€™m saving a lot of money now realistically waiting until mid to late 2023ā€¦so Iā€™m going for the top trim! Also, the luxury features should age very well, and I intend to have this truck for a long time. I realize itā€™s a bit over the top, but I canā€™t help but be drawn to the Platinum over the Lariat!
Iā€™m looking at this purchase as I would an IPad or MacBook, the technology is going to improve so fast I expect Iā€™ll want to upgrade every few years for additional range and better tech. Hopefully there is a reasonably priced upgrade path for those who do want to keep these trucks 5-10 years, but it seems like a replacement battery pack would cost more than half of MSRP and not be covered by Ford warranty.

Sponsored

sotek2345

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Lightning Lariat ER, 2021 Mach-e GT
Occupation
Engineering Manager
Iā€™m looking at this purchase as I would an IPad or MacBook, the technology is going to improve so fast I expect Iā€™ll want to upgrade every few years for additional range and better tech. Hopefully there is a reasonably priced upgrade path for those who do want to keep these trucks 5-10 years, but it seems like a replacement battery pack would cost more than half of MSRP and not be covered by Ford warranty.
Same - It makes Ford options a really attractive program

Tenetke

First Name
Stuart
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
ā€˜22 Lightning Platinum, ā€˜21 Aviator, ā€˜23 Bronco WT
Occupation
dad
I ordered a Platinum based on what my wife wanted in having a truck to get her blessing of buying it. She loves the active motion seats in our Expedition, so that had to be in the new truck. If the 8 speakers are good in a Lariat and the 12 B&O speakers in my Expedition sound great to me, then itā€™s easy to reason that 18 speakers in a Platinum will be fine. The wheels Iā€™m not a fan of and I plan on buying a new set too. Not buying gas again will save me around $7k a year. Charging from my own solar also adds to benefit of an electric vehicle in general. I normally take the badges off of my vehicles as well. If it is easy to remove the Platinum badges I will. I normally buy vehicles based on how I feel about them and not about the fact I will never know how it makes someone else feel or think, or care to. Buy what you want. I hope everyone eventually gets to do that with the Lightning.

Sdctcher

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2016 Ford Escape, 2022 Ford Lightning Lariat ER
Occupation
EV Gypsy
Reasons to not get Platinum:
* Stupid 22" wheels
* Ridiculous premium price

Reasons to get Platinum over Lariat:
* Nicer leather with light grey two-tone
* ActiveMotion massage seats
* Upgraded B&O Unleashed sound
* Max Recline seats
* Heated rear seats
* Everyone else is ordering a Lariat...
Other Cons include more sales tax, possible no tax rebate (BBB over $80k), more property tax every year on plates, more insurance costs every year, and more high tech that probably will have bugs or go bad.

Tenetke

First Name
Stuart
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
dad
Other Cons include more sales tax, possible no tax rebate (BBB over $80k), more property tax every year on plates, more insurance costs every year, and more high tech that probably will have bugs or go bad.
Whatā€™s more high tech in a Platinum?

PA Lightning

First Name
Tbone
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Lightning Pro
I ordered a Platinum based on what my wife wanted in having a truck to get her blessing of buying it. She loves the active motion seats in our Expedition, so that had to be in the new truck. If the 8 speakers are good in a Lariat and the 12 B&O speakers in my Expedition sound great to me, then itā€™s easy to reason that 18 speakers in a Platinum will be fine. The wheels Iā€™m not a fan of and I plan on buying a new set too. Not buying gas again will save me around $7k a year. Charging from my own solar also adds to benefit of an electric vehicle in general. I normally take the badges off of my vehicles as well. If it is easy to remove the Platinum badges I will. I normally buy vehicles based on how I feel about them and not about the fact I will never know how it makes someone else feel or think, or care to. Buy what you want. I hope everyone eventually gets to do that with the Lightning.
You must drive a lot. Assuming $4 per gallon gas, and 20mpg, that means you drive 35k miles per year. Gas price and mpg may vary, but that is still a lot of miles

Sponsored

Tenetke

First Name
Stuart
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
dad
You must drive a lot. Assuming $4 per gallon gas, and 20mpg, that means you drive 35k miles per year. Gas price and mpg may vary, but that is still a lot of miles
Well if I got 20mpg thatā€™d be great! Real world across my vehicles itā€™s probably 14-17. Just going through my gas purchases for the past two years it was a surprising amount of gas I was buying. Thatā€™s why last year I decided to install solar for plans of an eventual EV, or at least a Cybertruck at the time. And then the Lightning came along. Iā€™m still not sure how I got a first wave order but Iā€™ll take it. My friend that text me a screenshot of his reservation on 5/19 at 8:34p central still hasnā€™t had a chance to order his. My reservation was 5 minutes after his.

Deleted member 9341

Property tax on plates? Thatā€™s one Iā€™ve never heard of!

broncoaz

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Bronco 2 door Badlands manual
Property tax on plates? Thatā€™s one Iā€™ve never heard of!
The property tax on plates takes on different names in different states. In AZ itā€™s Vehicle License Tax collected with your plate renewal, Massachusetts charges an annual Vehicle Excise Tax separate from the plates. In MA I get separate excise tax bills for each vehicle, my boat, and the contents of my home.

Deleted member 9341

The property tax on plates takes on different names in different states. In AZ itā€™s Vehicle License Tax collected with your plate renewal, Massachusetts charges an annual Vehicle Excise Tax separate from the plates. In MA I get separate excise tax bills for each vehicle, my boat, and the contents of my home.
Interesting. Thanks for the explanation

PungoteagueDave

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla MX, Porsche C4S, Ford F-350 KR, Ford F-150 K
Occupation
retired
Interesting. Thanks for the explanation
Virginia and several other states have personal property taxes on vehicles. One reason we "relocated" to Fl in 2020.
Sponsored