• Welcome to F150Lightningforum.com everyone!

If you're joining us from F150gen14.com, then you may already have an account here!

If you were registered on F150gen14.com as of April 16, 2022 or earlier, then you can simply login here with the same username and password!

Sponsored

So... How about them gas prices?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mr. Flibble

First Name
George
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
1995 Delica L400, Kia Soul EV, Jeep Diesel
Occupation
Computer Nerd
Remember the oil shocks from OPEC in the 1970s? The demand for consumers to move away from big car boats with V8's to little Honda Civics that sipped on fuel was a pretty big sea change.

I am willing to bet that the current price shocks in oil are about to help accelerate the demand for EV's in a pretty big way.

What do you think?
Sponsored

vandy1981

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'19 Jaguar I-Pace, '22 Lightning Lariat ER
Occupation
Plumber
I was thinking about this today. The Lightning is rolling out at a perfect time in history.

We have 1500-mile road trip planned in late May. Assuming $5/gallon gas, it would cost about $400 (@18 mpg) if we took our Ram 1500 Hemi eTorque and $1000 (@8 mpg) if we also towed our RV.

The same trip in the Lightning would cost $60 (@440 Wh/mile) without the trailer and $230(@950 Wh/mile) with the trailer per A Better Routeplanner.

Our build week is 5/2. If the Lightning arrives in time we'll be driving that for the trip. Otherwise, we'll probably just take the I-Pace and leave the camper and Ram 1500 at home.

Last edited:

JimL

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2019 Bullitt, 2020 F-150
Occupation
Babylon 5 security
We have 1500-mile road trip planned in late May. Assuming $5/gallon gas, it would cost about $400 (@18 mpg) if we took our Ram 1500 Hemi eTorque and $1000 (@8 mpg) if we also towed our RV.

The same trip in the Lightning would cost $60 (@440 Wh/mile) without the trailer and $230(@950 Wh/mile) with the trailer per A Better Routeplanner.
How long would the trip take with the Ram, and how much longer would it take with the Lightning -- recharging time? Serious question, I'm not trying do be a toolbag.

parkerdog

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
22 f150 XLT RCSB
Everybody thinks the electric vehicles is going to solve our problems and be cheap. No one seems to be remembering how the infrastructure of all the roads is paid for by taxes on usually gas. (motor fuel tax)

The powers that be just haven't instituted the charges that are going to have to be paid to keep the lights on so to speak.

vandy1981

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'19 Jaguar I-Pace, '22 Lightning Lariat ER
Occupation
Plumber
How long would the trip take with the Ram, and how much longer would it take with the Lightning -- recharging time? Serious question, I'm not trying do be a toolbag.
We'd have to spend about 2 hours charging to go 720 miles without a trailer. Most of that time would get eaten up with bathroom breaks, meals and dog walks on a gasoline powered trip anyway.

The trailer would be painful--around 6 hours of charging for the same distance. We'd probably split the trip into two days we'd do that with the trailer even if we took the Ram. In that case an overnight charge to 100% would knock an hour off the charging total.

Sponsored
OP
OP
Mr. Flibble

Mr. Flibble

First Name
George
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Computer Nerd
Everybody thinks the electric vehicles is going to solve our problems and be cheap. No one seems to be remembering how the infrastructure of all the roads is paid for by taxes on usually gas. (motor fuel tax)

The powers that be just haven't instituted the charges that are going to have to be paid to keep the lights on so to speak.
A good point. Where I live, my EV is Over-taxed with tags because of the lack of gas tax. Its really annoying that I pay about 10X what I would in gas taxes. I am sure government being what it is will figure out a solution to this right quick, they dislike not being able to tax things.

JimL

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2019 Bullitt, 2020 F-150
Occupation
Babylon 5 security
We'd have to spend about 2 hours charging to go 720 miles without a trailer. Most of that time would get eaten up with bathroom breaks, meals and dog walks on a gasoline powered trip anyway.

The trailer would be painful--around 6 hours of charging for the same distance. We'd probably split the trip into two days we'd do that with the trailer even if we took the Ram. In that case an overnight charge to 100% would knock an hour off the charging total.
Great insight, thanks. I just wish the Lightning wasn't so danged expensive.

OP
OP
Mr. Flibble

Mr. Flibble

First Name
George
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Computer Nerd

Yeah, we have a long road trip coming up this summer. We won't be getting our lightning until next year (2023 model year - not selected yet in waves). We will be driving through Canada, where gas prices are much worse than here in the US. So it is going to hurt. Our current EV cannot manage that kind of trip - so diesel it is then. Its going to be costly.

rdr854

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
18 Volvo V90, 22 Ford F150 Lightning, 23 Outback

Virginia has a special tax for EVs and fuel efficient vehicles that get 25 mpg or better.

kevdog0710

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 F150 Lariat Supercrew
Occupation
Union Carpenter
I am all for electric vehicles and I think it will be interesting learning how people plan trips, especially towing. I wish more people realized they are not clean, emissions free vehicles though. Batteries are an issue and they are charged in 80 percent of the cases with coal.
Does anyone know what the carbon offset is? Is it less, more? I always heard the Prius was an ecological disaster, is that true of Ford EV's?

Sponsored

F150ROD

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F150 IB Lariat Lightning/Miata ND2 Club
Occupation
U.S. Navy Retired
Gas prices are set to stay at around $4.00 permanently $5.50 in California. They always go up and never come down to what it was, even when the price of a barrel goes down. There is always some excuse: refinery closed, summer gas, winter gas, someone farted…..

Whatever.

beatle

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model S, Ridgeline, Miata, motorcycle(s)
I am all for electric vehicles and I think it will be interesting learning how people plan trips, especially towing. I wish more people realized they are not clean, emissions free vehicles though. Batteries are an issue and they are charged in 80 percent of the cases with coal.
Does anyone know what the carbon offset is? Is it less, more? I always heard the Prius was an ecological disaster, is that true of Ford EV's?
So where are your sources for that? Coal provides 21.8% of the power in the US:

https://www.eia.gov/tools/faqs/faq.php?id=427&t=3

And the Prius being an ecological disaster? Here are the carbon break even points for several types of EVs and their respective energy sources:

https://www.reuters.com/business/au...lectric-vehicles-vs-gasoline-cars-2021-06-29/

kevdog0710

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Union Carpenter

Tell It Right

First Name
Tell
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F-150
You make good points, though I don’t think nationwide 80% of our power comes from coal. Perhaps in some areas.
I don’t have an EV yet. But I do have a large 10kW solar system on my house with 30kWh battery storage. Plus my house is now all electric. Even if I do like planned and replace my old used gas truck with a Lightning, thus adding to my power consumption, I’ll still be pulling less power from the grid than I was before I went solar and before I converted my natural gas appliances to electric. This past year 55% of all power we consumed came from the solar system.
If I get an EV my wife and I already decided to double our solar panels and triple our storage. By my estimate 85% to 90% of all power will come from solar.

kevdog0710

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Union Carpenter
You make good points, though I don’t think nationwide 80% of our power comes from coal. Perhaps in some areas.
I don’t have an EV yet. But I do have a large 10kW solar system on my house with 30kWh battery storage. Plus my house is now all electric. Even if I do like planned and replace my old used gas truck with a Lightning, thus adding to my power consumption, I’ll still be pulling less power from the grid than I was before I went solar and before I converted my natural gas appliances to electric. This past year 55% of all power we consumed came from the solar system.
If I get an EV my wife and I already decided to double our solar panels and triple our storage. By my estimate 85% to 90% of all power will come from solar.
I have solar on my house, no battery back up though.
I'm definitely off on the 80 percent and I should have qualified my post as fossil fuel, not coal.
I have a buddy with a Lightning reservation for his wife and a super duty on order. I told him thats like a vegan marrying the butcher!
Sponsored

Status
Not open for further replies.