First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 f-150 Platinum, 2014 BMW R1200RT
Occupation
Retired
I've got Nokian Hak R3's on order for my truck. I bought 200 lb of sandblasting sand (since it's cheap and doesn't have moisture like regular sand) to put in the bed.
I had those tires on my Volvo XC70 when I was working and they were awesome ! Next year I will have a set for my f150 as I am not a fan of all seasons in snow.
Sponsored

OP
OP

OleCuss

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F-150 King Ranch PowerBoost
One could likely find the lumber for free as scrap somewhere if you took the time. Carpet squares stapled on bottom to protect bed were free at Home Depot. They were last years samples and to be trashed. I'll post how I used to do it.
Well, I ended up making something quite similar. I was able to do it quick and dirty so that if the forecast is sufficiently friendly tomorrow I'll be able to go.

Right now the Yosemite trip tomorrow is looking a bit iffy. My tires aren't going to be upgraded any time soon but I've got 250 pounds of sand in the rear compartment and I'm likely to get 150 pounds more.

The road care should be sufficient to where I can safely drive up there and back. But the hassles may make it just not worthwhile. One of the biggies is that all of the traffic in and out of Yosemite will be through El Portal and that means that there is going to be a lot of traffic going through a limited roadway and it's a pretty good bet that there will be others who are less prepared.

Add in that the temperature will not go higher than 31 degrees and a bit of a breeze is going to kick up and it will be overcast? I'd be OK with that but I think that my wife is not going to find the 2.5 hour trip (under good conditions) up there and back to be worth it. And one person screwing up could turn the trip into far more than 2.5 hours each way.

So I'm reasonably prepped but it may be a no-go anyway.

Hullguy

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2013 F150 FX 4
Occupation
Retired Union Electrician
After driving a pickup in New England for over 20 years, I’ve never felt the need for extra weight

Billy231

First Name
Billy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150 Lariat Powerstroke
Occupation
Retired
If you are getting stuck in snow, or the tire treads are often packed and you are spinning with no results and are in 4WD, then you need a more aggressive tread. My truck has the Goodyear AT which is a decent tire with more aggressive tread design, those will work for me in winter climates. I do also feel that the rear is somewhat light and I utilize the sides of the bed just behind each wheel for sand bags (usually 60#) which are readily available at Home Depot/Lowes for mixing cement. They come packaged in a sturdy bag with a plastic liner and being under a cover, doesnt get wet. I only use 2-4 depending on weather conditions. It's minimal, yet effective if I get stuck, and they aren't sliding around or have to worry about them.

Daddonap

First Name
Peter
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F-150 King Ranch, 2016 GT350R
Travel back and forth from Connecticut to Vermont every weekend in the Winter. Have had both good all terrain tires with the "three peaks" on them and dedicated snow tires. I will never go back to not having the snow tires makes a huge difference. I currently use the Blizzak DM-V2s.

on my 2009 FX4, ran snows and it was unstoppable in the snow.

My 2021 KR FX4 came with Scorpion ATRs, these have horrible reviews for snow driving. (I tend to believe the Tire Rack reviews and testing). Purchased a second set of wheels and tires to run in the winter. Kept the same wheel size 20" and tire size 275/60R20. Went with a set of Ford Performance 20" F-150 wheels and Blizzak DM-V2. have already had to use them in the snow and Ice, great set up. no need to put anything in the bed for extra weight.

Sponsored

SILVERBULLET69

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
YOUR GLOVE BOX LIGHT IS ON
Just had our 1st wintery rainy ice/light snow storm over the weekend. Must say this is a bad weather machine. No weight in the back and i had to work to get several donuts in a row, kind of disappointed my daughter . Fast speed acceleration in 4 auto trying to break it loose was almost impossible. The brakes worked well and the pirelli's did just fine.

travisN000

First Name
Travis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150 Powerboost CCSB
I have a crew cab fx4 lariat powerboost, and with the slippery/snow drive mode turned on I find it very difficult to induce significant wheel slip in snow & ice conditions with stock Hankook tires; in normal mode I can induce slipping and sliding much easier, but it still wont let it get out of control.

Black ice is a different story.. stock tires just don't work.

I was considering getting new tires before I tried out the slippery mode, but I think i can get by with just being a bit more careful on the rare days we have black ice conditions

SteveP150

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150 Lariat Powerboost
I've got a Lariat Powerboost and live in Park City, which gets lots of snow, but not as much ice. I switched the stock Goodyears(which didn't look too offroad/snow capable) to Wildpeaks, which are 3Peak rated.
Between the 4A/4H options, the Wildpeaks, and the extra weight of the battery in the back, it's done well. I can break it loose, but have to actually try to do so. I'm sure winter tires would be better yet, but so far haven't felt like they were needed. Nor have I yet needed to use 4L or the locker, even in 8-10 inches of new over packed snow.

Jus Cruisin

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 GMC Sierra Denali Ultimate 4X4 - 6.2l
Occupation
Very retired
My set up is easy. Just keep it in in the garage until the roads are cleared up.

Lippy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F-150 Powerboost
I just came back from Tahoe, which got a ton of snow in December. I drove up in a storm and the roads were slushy and icy. I replaced the stock Pirelli ATRs with Yokohama Geolandars G015s and I’m glad I did. The truck performed great. I will add it is a Powerboost, so it has extra weight from the battery.

As far as tips go, I had it in Slippery mode, which uses 4A, when I first hit snowy conditions. Soon after, the chain control guy told me to put it in 4H, which was good in really bad conditions. From then on I used either H or A, depending on the road I was on, using A if I could see black pavement. A couple of times, in really steep and icy conditions, I locked the rear diff temporarily.

But I will say the tires made the biggest difference. We had my wife’s Chevy Tahoe up there also, and her Michelin Defender A/S tires aren’t as good as the Yokohamas in these conditions.