First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 ford f150 eco boost
Occupation
Ex Cleaner
Has anyone successfully had a moon roof leak fixed? Wondering if the truck should be dumped or continue to attempt having Ford try and fix it. Stating to get rust under the carpet and a smell.
Sponsored

antho

First Name
Anthony
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 801A Raptor
sure it’s the sunroof and not the hvac drain? Had an issue with my last truck leaking on the passenger side floorboard. I found it to be the hvac drain running back into the firewall and leaking on the floorboard. My driveway is at an incline so the nose sets high. May want to check into that? My fix was adding an extension to the hvac drain and sealing the firewall hole.

Ford Motor Company

Official Ford Account
First Name
Ford
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F-150
Has anyone successfully had a moon roof leak fixed? Wondering if the truck should be dumped or continue to attempt having Ford try and fix it. Stating to get rust under the carpet and a smell.
Hi Bill. Can you send us a DM with your VIN and dealership info? I can look into this for you.

Sponsored

garagegymgoon

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 F-150 Star White Lariat 502A w/ BAP
My 2016 had a leak. I checked all the obvious things myself...drains and whatnot. Could not find the leak or replicate it. Had to be a heavy rain and my truck had to be parked level. My driveway isnt level...so I would see it every time it down poured while at work. Took it to my local dealer and they found it relatively quick...the "track" was busted and it required a whole new assembly. Wasnt a very cheap repair but it never leaked again....all the way up til I traded it in and vowed to never have a moonroof on my truck.

antho

First Name
Anthony
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 801A Raptor
Have you done any investigating yourself or are you the guy that gets on a forum and vaguely describes a problem and expects a fix out of no where? If the latter, maybe twitter is more of a fit.

oneinch

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 F150 Powerboost, 2022 Maverick Lariat Lux
After you get it fixed never open it. I like moon roofs. I like them for the light they let in. I rarely actually open it. I don't think it is very good at ventilation and it's loud. When I choose naturally aspirated air over boosted air I open the rear slider and either my window and/or the passenger window. If you never use the moon roof then chances are it'll never leak. Just enjoy the view.

Paul Neubauer

First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F-150
My 2016 had a leak. I checked all the obvious things myself...drains and whatnot. Could not find the leak or replicate it. Had to be a heavy rain and my truck had to be parked level. My driveway isnt level...so I would see it every time it down poured while at work. Took it to my local dealer and they found it relatively quick...the "track" was busted and it required a whole new assembly. Wasnt a very cheap repair but it never leaked again....all the way up til I traded it in and vowed to never have a moonroof on my truck.
The moonroof is garbage. I ordered my 2021 and deleted the included moonroof after having problems all the time with my 2018 moonroof leaking and getting jammed half open. They need to go back to a single piece smaller sunroof instead of the twin panel monstrosity.

Tosh

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150 Lariat PB
Occupation
Re-Tired Bicycle Mechanic
Sorry, man, never had a leaky moonroof get fixed properly. Now I won't have one at all. It was always the drain tubes getting clogged or broken. I sold the VW, tried to fix the Jeep twice (now up for sale), and I ordered the 501A F-150 because it doesn't have a moon roof.

Sponsored

eharri3

First Name
Ed
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
#20Fordf150
Occupation
Business
Knock on wood 14 months in all good here. Seems like the problem on these falls in one of 4 areas.

1) motor (seems rare)

2) Defect in the pan allowing water to drip through

3) Seals

4) Clogged drain tube

I use mine nearly every time I drive in warm weather. Recently cleaned and lubed for the first time. Won't stop every problem but maybe some.

I wonder how many problems are actually caused from lack of use, things seizing up from Being stuck together in the hot sun never getting exercised. I know in general in my basement shutoff valves that never get turned for years are the first ones to seize up and give me problems. The ones that get turned off and on a few times per year last longer.

Then you get the other temp extreme, most people in cold climates don't touch the moonroof button at all for about a half year at a time in addition to using it sparingly when it's Warm.

Last edited:

Old Bear

First Name
Jerry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Ford F150 King Ranch Powerboost
Occupation
Information Technology
Things that are made to move, like to move. Lack of use causes its own issues. Obviously if there isn't a big hole cut in the roof, there isn't anything to leak. But if you love the sun and the air, it's great! I use mine year-round if it's warm enough. The increase in noise is minimal (side windows are a lot noisier) and if you crack the rear slider open about an inch, you get a refreshing gentle air flow. But keep it clean and lube those seals!
Sponsored