forbizon

First Name
Jonas
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2024 F-150
Hello!

i have a 24 in order and will be my first pick up truck. On the other cars I’ve owned I’ve always taken them to the dealership for “service” including oil changes.

For the F-150, I am thinking on doing the oil changes myself. Part of it is to save time and money going to the dealership, especially as I plan on keeping it longer than other cars I had, and want to reduce the change intervals.

Now, one my hesitance points is that at least in my imagination, at dealership service they do more than just change the oil. I always thought they would do a throughout multi point inspection, looking at transmission oil levels and stuff.

Am I overthinking this? Do people that change oil at home also run a multi point checklist? Or do service at dealership actually just do the superficial (tire thread level, brake calipers, etc)?
Sponsored

Fox146

First Name
Dana
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150 Limited
I do mine own services and have been for many years . Included in that is me looking at everything else as I drive the truck and I know what’s going on with it and I can take some time and clean things properly etc. Honestly I don’t trust many shops as they are on clock to get it out the door and I’ve had or have know of issues in the past with other services.There are some good ones out there though that still care
If you look at most maintenance schedules there is a lot of just visual inspection stuff which you can easily do if you’re up for it.
Make sure you keep receipts and records for warranty though

Buyer2021

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Lariat SuperCab and 2005 XLT SuperCab
Occupation
retired!
Am I overthinking this?
Probably not .....

The competence / value / benefit of dealer service demonstrably varies wildly depending on the dealer and specific techs involved. Sadly that can sometimes be hard to discern and it may be inconsistent over time. IOW it is often a 'crap-shoot'.

Likewise, DIY maintenance and inspection / keeping ahead of maintenance and wear items varies wildly depending on the competence and diligence of the person doing the work. IMO that's more than just a matter of "have the time".

IMO with time, research, diligence, and experience many folks can acquire the skills needed to serve themselves and their vehicles at least as well as, and quite often better and more consistently than, many if not most dealers provide in the maintenance service arena.

Personally, I've worked to get to that point of DIY competence and have no doubt of the benefit for me and my vehicles. Both the learning and doing have been satisfying over the decades. I avoid the 'crap-shoot' of dealer service to the greatest extent I confidently can, certainly avoiding dealer fluid changes, day-to-day maintenance, and so-called "multi-point inspections".

Maybe you're one of the folks who have or can develop that competence, maybe not.

Good Luck!

jhelrey

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150 CC Platinum FX4 5.0 4X4 3.73 LB
My buddy owns an indy shop. He does my oil changes, tire rotations, etc. Charges $60 and I have a paperwork trail for warranty claims.

The dealerships don't check transmission fluid levels, etc.

Sponsored

Madd-Dog

First Name
Russell
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 F150 Limited
I have been doing my own oil changes for decades due to bad experiences. With a little research, you can find all the info needed to do yours. You can check your own fluids, use the oil and filters you prefer, and handle other inspections on your own. Don’t forget to keep logs/track of your maintenance.

For me, a little piece of mind goes a long way. I used good oil, checked what was needed, inspected for issues while under the hood and under the truck, and even torqued my drain plug.

Enjoy your new truck! Tons of stuff to learn on this site to make the experience even better.

PPK

First Name
PPK
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 F150 502A, 1947 CJ2A, WK2 Limited
Occupation
Engineer
Document your receipt for oil and filters in the ford app… you need some tools too. I use a 6 gal jug for collection… and have a way to clean up the drips ..

fatBatman

First Name
Phillip
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2024 King Ranch
I’ve always done my own maintenance on trucks. No matter what the computer says, I’ve always changed the oil at 5k miles with full synthetic oil. While under the truck, I’ll look for any leaks, seepage, or anything out of the ordinary. I’ll grab the driveshaft and tug on it and go all the way down to the rear axle (usually this is done when the oil is draining since I’m still under there). After the oil change, I’ll rotate the tires IAW the owners manual and not just front to back and visa versa. The one time I took my truck to a dealer for service (I was out of town and needed to get it done), I saw the tech not do it according to the manual and when I brought it up, they argued with me like I was wrong even after I showed them the book.

Yeah, it’s okay to do your own maintenance. Just set your own schedule within the minimum standard allowed by the manual (earlier is better but I’m “that guy”), and keep records/receipts for your oil and filter purchases.

Cheers!

TXGREEK

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 F150 FX4 Lariat
Hello!

i have a 24 in order and will be my first pick up truck. On the other cars I’ve owned I’ve always taken them to the dealership for “service” including oil changes.

For the F-150, I am thinking on doing the oil changes myself. Part of it is to save time and money going to the dealership, especially as I plan on keeping it longer than other cars I had, and want to reduce the change intervals.

Now, one my hesitance points is that at least in my imagination, at dealership service they do more than just change the oil. I always thought they would do a throughout multi point inspection, looking at transmission oil levels and stuff.

Am I overthinking this? Do people that change oil at home also run a multi point checklist? Or do service at dealership actually just do the superficial (tire thread level, brake calipers, etc)?
It’s like assembling your first AR15, best way to understand how it works and how to repair it is to put one together yourself. Same thing with doing your own work on your vehicle, just remember to take your time and make sure you’ve got the tools necessary along with oil drain pan etc
Sponsored