Sponsored

Request Clarification on Power Tow Mirror P/N ML3Z-17696-DA

HammaMan

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 302a PB, Mach E GTPE
This is great information - thank you. Please be patient with me, I REALLY want to get this figured out. I am seriously considering making the tow mirror upgrade....

So, the aftermarket harness is more expensive, but more.... "complete"? Meaning, it is more of a ready, direct swap?
It just adds in the connector with some wiring. The switch is illuminated so it taps the illumination bus, needs to replace one of the grounding circuits and needs to run the extend / collapse wires. I bought the platinum harness and tore it apart (that's about 2hrs of work). You can replace the harness ( about an hr depending on how quick you move) and scavenge whatever wires you need from your factory harness. You need the wiring diagrams. Not hard to do.

I don't know your level of competence in this realm. Wiring diagrams are really easy for me to go through, for some it might as well be a foreign language.
Sponsored

Neticen

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2024 F150 Powerboost Lariat
My understanding is that if you have a truck with factory power FOLD then you also have the correct door harness for power EXTEND… but this is Ford an there seem to be more variations than there are stars in the sky.

OP
OP
FirstFord

FirstFord

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 F-150 Lariat SuperCab 502A, 4x4 3.5 EcoBoost
It just adds in the connector with some wiring. The switch is illuminated so it taps the illumination bus, needs to replace one of the grounding circuits and needs to run the extend / collapse wires. I bought the platinum harness and tore it apart (that's about 2hrs of work). You can replace the harness ( about an hr depending on how quick you move) and scavenge whatever wires you need from your factory harness. You need the wiring diagrams. Not hard to do.

I don't know your level of competence in this realm. Wiring diagrams are really easy for me to go through, for some it might as well be a foreign language.
You have been a great source of information, HammaMan, and I appreciate all of your input.

Regarding your question of my level of competence, I have the knowledge and skills to be able to splice wires, and read wire schematics (as long as they don't get too complicated). The problem I have is that I am reluctant to start butchering up an OEM wire harness on a truck that cost more than my first house. IF a suitable plug-in replacement wire harness exists, I would much rather go that direction because that way you can always return things to the way it was (OEM).

OP
OP
FirstFord

FirstFord

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
My understanding is that if you have a truck with factory power FOLD then you also have the correct door harness for power EXTEND… but this is Ford an there seem to be more variations than there are stars in the sky.
This is EXACTLY what I would like to be able to figure out - if the *power-extend* wire is already a part of my Lariot 502A harness, then that would be a game changer...

HammaMan

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 302a PB, Mach E GTPE
This is EXACTLY what I would like to be able to figure out - if the *power-extend* wire is already a part of my Lariot 502A harness, then that would be a game changer...
Just pop the door panel off and take a look. Very easy to do.

Sponsored

OP
OP
FirstFord

FirstFord

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
BTW, I just now saw the parts diagram that you attached. It did not load until late. I now have a better idea of what's involved.

OP
OP
FirstFord

FirstFord

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
3rd party is more, ford is cheaper but more work. Replacing the entire door harness is more connections than you'd realize.
ML3Z-14631-H

Ford F-150 Request Clarification on Power Tow Mirror P/N ML3Z-17696-DA 1706406473374-
BTW, I just now saw the parts diagram that you attached. It did not load until late. I now have a better idea of what's involved.

Spiffers

First Name
Craig
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Lariat
This is great information - thank you. Please be patient with me, I REALLY want to get this figured out. I am seriously considering making the tow mirror upgrade....

So, the aftermarket harness is more expensive, but more.... "complete"? Meaning, it is more of a ready, direct swap?
I’m of no help with what you need but I can tell you that tow mirrors will ruin you for regular mirrors. They came on my 23 Lariat and I don’t know how I ever drove anything without them. Once you get the blind spot mirrors set how you want them, nothing sneaks up beside you that you don’t see.

OP
OP
FirstFord

FirstFord

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
I’m of no help with what you need but I can tell you that tow mirrors will ruin you for regular mirrors. They came on my 23 Lariat and I don’t know how I ever drove anything without them. Once you get the blind spot mirrors set how you want them, nothing sneaks up beside you that you don’t see.
Haha - yeah, I believe it. I custom ordered my truck, and had tow mirrors on my list all along. But on the day I placed my order, I learned that at that particular time, the power-fold feature was not available on tow mirrors. Because of space restrictions, the power fold feature was important to me, so the "standard" mirror won out. Now I'm learning that I can (likely) retrofit my truck to the power fold / power extend tow mirrors, but for some reason my brain is a little laggy on this topic, and I am catching on slower than usual. I think I also suffer from a slight reluctance of tearing into my truck (even though it is a '22, it is still brand new to me!).

OP
OP
FirstFord

FirstFord

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Just pop the door panel off and take a look. Very easy to do.
So you are saying that if I have the plug labeled C5020, then I'm good to go? No other harness modifications or jumper harnesses necessary?

Ford F-150 Request Clarification on Power Tow Mirror P/N ML3Z-17696-DA 1706406473374-png - Copy
Sponsored